Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outdoor Table mount
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorsrevenge1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Outdoor Table mount Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I drive an 85 westy and I love camping out of it but I was quite tired of lugging camp tables around with me taking up more room in the main area of the van. I also did not have $130 to spend on one so after looking for an outdoor table mount that would not cost an arm and a leg I looked on the samba for anyone who had made one for specs or ideas. I was unsuccessful so I endeavored to make my own. I managed to make a completely functional and quite appealing out door table mount for a grand total of $12. If I had shopped around more at other metal scrap yards I bet I could have done it for less. Bellow are the materials list and specs for anyone who would like to make a similar one. I hope this thread helps make the tables in the vanagon more versatile for others as it has for me. Detailed instructions are scattered throughout the post mostly beneath an accompanying picture. Let me know what you think or any improvements you can think of.

Materials
-18 " or longer of 1 1/2" pipe
-16" or longer depending on above length of 1 1/4" pipe
-8 " of 1/4x1/4" steel bar
-13" of steel pipe with threads on one end thin enough around to slip inside leg pipe so less than 1 1/4" and so long as it fits in the jack port
-1 pipe coupler
-2 bolts (I made one of them the same size as the leg screws found hold the tables together in the van so I could use it if I wanted)
-2 nuts of appropriate sizes matching bolts
-1 horse shoe
- The ability to weld without catching yourself on fire Smile

Specs
-height from ground to jack port on level ground=13"
-height from jack port to a low counter height for cooking=18"
-total height from ground to low counter height=31"
-length from jack port out so as to miss sliding door when open=12"
-Collapsed height of table mount= 18" or so
-Extended height with table= 32" to 47"
-total weight= 5 lbs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(you may notice these parts dont match the finished piece. This is because I finished the project before I realized I should take pictures as I go. These are the remnants of my materials which amount to enough to make a second mount)

(these are the same size bolts I used the longer one has the same thread size as those found already in the van. Also here is a close up of the decorative rod iron I used to make handles. )

(This is just showing my placement of the nuts. I drilled out large holes before I welded these on. I made a large dent so the drill bits would bite and drilled with consecutively larger drill bits ending in a 1/2")

(just showing the placement of the pipe coupler)

(The finished exterior 1 1/2" pipe assembly my placement of the coupler and nuts is off but it doesn't really hurt the functionality)

(These are the bolt pressure screws after welding I am quite proud of my welds on these)

( the full base assembly all put together)

(the leg pipe with the horse shoe for the foot to add stability. The legth of this pipe depends on both the length of the exterior pipe and the placement of the lower nut. The lower you place the nut or the longer you make the exterior pipe the the more the leg with be able to extend. I used 16" due to the 13" distance from the ground to the jack and the 3" distance from my nut to the rim of the exterior pipe. I may cut off some of the exterior pipe making the leg pipe extend further.)

(A pic of the leg in use)

(My outdoor table mount fully assembled)

(the table mount fully collapsed come in my case to 18" tall it fits nicely under my rear seat.)

(The lower pressure joint in use)

[/list]

(The table mount in use fully extended to 47" which just so happens to be the approximate height of most bar counters. Sorry if I look rather evil in this pic I had literally just finished the mount and was quite tired and filthy from cleaning the metal.)

I hope this thread has been helpful to people who want to extend the versatility of their van tables without spending $130. I enjoyed making it I know it will come in handy in many different situations from either camping to needing more space for tools when working on the van. Have fun everyone Very Happy .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! I'll have to make one for my self!

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat idea. Well done.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well done. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing what you created. Excellent idea.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, and it should work very nicely in the back jack post (pipe under the slider door)
allowing both side doors unhindered operation.

will be adding this to my to-do list as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I just mounted a Shady Boy awning and hope to spend a lot more time hanging out in this new outdoor space. I'll have to develop something similar that doesn't require any welding.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
well done, and it should work very nicely in the back jack post (pipe under the slider door)
allowing both side doors unhindered operation.

will be adding this to my to-do list as well.

For me, the beauty of this is the double use of the table. Since my weekender doesn't have this table to retask for outside use, I never considered doing this because I don't want to carry around the extra gear.

But your words "back jack post" makes me think that it might make a lot of sense for those of us who carry hi-lift jacks with the vanagon jackpoint adapter to make a few brackets so the high-lift could be used as the table support structure.

This allows double use of the support structure and would stabilize the van for sleeping at night when it's windy. I'd seriously consider shortening the high lift beam a bit if it makes it easier to use/stow.

netcruzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddler wrote:
Nice job. I just mounted a Shady Boy awning and hope to spend a lot more time hanging out in this new outdoor space. I'll have to develop something similar that doesn't require any welding.

Yeah, I'm in the same situation. No welder, nor skills to weld.
Seeing how this works, I'm wondering if the same type of rig could be made from ABS pipe. A few pieces, a T coupler, and then either glue on a base plate, or cut the pipe end at a 45 to create a stake (could work for most dirt camp-sites).

I never use my front table in the van, so making an outdoor mount could put it to good use.
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you tighten into the jack point? It all looks great, but I am unclear on this point.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is because WESTFALIA mounted it on the wrong front seat base.
I've mine mounted on the pass side base and the front table is HUGELY useful.. and can ride along behind the front seat always in place w/o being in the way of anything really.

netcruzer wrote:
I never use my front table in the van, so making an outdoor mount could put it to good use.

as for lack of welder or skills, avariation of this can likely be made out of plumbing PVC, it should have enough flex (or use GREY PVC pipe for the jack point piece) to accomodate the body movement when getting in & out.

put a T-shaped piece on the bottom for a foot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWYellowstone wrote:
How do you tighten into the jack point? It all looks great, but I am unclear on this point.

I can see this tipping over when fully loaded and the van height changes for any reason Sad
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. good idea, is it simple to move the mount? I need to go look at how it is mounted.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is making me think of just having another mount on the other side and making up a laptop mount for greenlaning to sit infront of the passenger... Very Happy

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We baywindow guys use this one....(I don't know if it works on a vanagon though)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=576723
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bays have a Square jack point
Vans have a round one so that the van will roll off the jack if you do not set the Parking brake. (AMHIK) Embarassed

Randy in Maine wrote:
We baywindow guys use this one....(I don't know if it works on a vanagon though)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=576723

netcruzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

netcruzer wrote:

danfromsyr wrote:
I've mine mounted on the pass side base and the front table is HUGELY useful.. and can ride along behind the front seat always in place w/o being in the way of anything really.

Brilliant. The small table would be way more useful inside the fan with the mount on the passenger side. Any tricks to this? Or just dismount, drill holes thru battery box on passenger side, and screw it on?
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some nice work! I love the horseshoe, nice touch.

Here is another approach
Check out pg 17 of the "What did you do to your Westy today" thread.
Bird84westy first posted this - he gets all the credit, I am merely publicizing his idea.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261355

It's a brilliant design for a galvanized pipe table mount that slides into your jack stand on the side of the van. You then slide the inside table mount and table on over the top of the pipe.

I made one, and it works great. All the pipe was bought at Home Cheapo, and it was pre cut and pre threaded (ie, no custom pipe cutting). Cost was under $20 and took all of 5 minutes to thread together. I did not make/use the wood "footing" for the flange.

One enhancement was to drill a hole through both the galvanized pipe and the table leg, insert the thin, long (3 inches?) bolt thru the hole, then spin on a wing nut onto the bolt. This prevents the table from pivoting around the pipe, which help keep whatever is on the table from dumping onto the ground.

-CJ

-CJ
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes just mount said base to the other side.. that's it...
I've even used it rear facing as a laptop mount for on a long drive roadtrip.. yes don't sit rearfacing when driving kids, Wink

netcruzer wrote:
netcruzer wrote:

danfromsyr wrote:

Brilliant. The small table would be way more useful inside the fan with the mount on the passenger side. Any tricks to this? Or just dismount, drill holes thru battery box on passenger side, and screw it on?

madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Yes just mount said base to the other side.. that's it...
I've even used it rear facing as a laptop mount for on a long drive roadtrip.. yes don't sit rearfacing when driving kids, Wink

This is what I did with mine

I bought an extra mount from classifieds here and modified it with some minor cutting and welding to the nut so that it does look stock, powdercoat after that

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: