Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outdoor Table mount
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:

Ha! Rob, the next time we're camped near one another we're playing Catan. I love that game, though my wife still beats me every time. Embarassed

Sounds like another great reason for a meet up!
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I think my smaller cheaper CT one will be perfect! I already opened it up inside the Vanagon and it easily fit. Didn't think to try it with a chair! I was just making sure it went together and wasn't missing anything before I lost the bill! LOL

DH works in the summer and isn't a camping lover anyway. I'm off from July to September. It will mostly be by boys and I for camping, so hope we'll be fine for space. I most definitely noticed how cramped it was when I went for the night by myself.

tam
singler3360 wrote:
tam_shops wrote:

You mean, the REI one fits, OPEN inside the Vanagon w/ a camp chair? At first I thought you meant that's where you store it, but after I read it 3 times to try and figure out where that was, I re-thought it! LOL

Tam, it fits open, barely. Once everyone is settled in, it comfortable. Not a bad option in a pinch. We are a family of three, four may not be possible.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Did you *do* something to that jack?

I created an adapter that can slip on/off the jack when I want to use the table.
See my build thread, toward the bottom of the first page (WAY too many pics to repost here) -
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6067897#6067897
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I didn't think my jack looked like that! LOL

tam
zippyslug31 wrote:
tam_shops wrote:
Did you *do* something to that jack?

I created an adapter that can slip on/off the jack when I want to use the table.
See my build thread, toward the bottom of the first page (WAY too many pics to repost here) -
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6067897#6067897

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
THANK YOU everyone! After reading that you guys preferred the REI one, I happen to notice a similar CT one, which happened to be on sale, starting today! I'm a sucker for a sale and for $30, just bought it with a gift card I had!
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/...?locale=en

Walmart sells that table as well (FYI for those interested). While it was more expensive, I opted for the CampTime version not only because it's bigger (and gets rave reviews), but also because it's made in the USA instead of China.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I originally read this thread, I was thinking it would be cool to build a table using the jack point, even though I don't have a Westy table to put in it. Then I thought, I don't want a table tied to my van while I camp. Confused I can't run to the store without breaking camp.

So we continued to use our hard folding tables for the stove and a coffee tray to set our coffee and donuts on. Very Happy

But we tend to pull over in rest stops / truck stops while traveling, and those hard folding tables are a pain in the storage area while trying to make the bed and keep everything inside while sleeping.

And then a month ago it occurred to me, those rollup tables are easy to store and would be easy to pack out of the way. So far I've purchased one, but I plan on getting another one, although I keep lusting after those fold up camp kitchens.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a table stand for sorts to use the smaller westy table outside. Makes a low (16.5" high) table to use when sitting in camp chairs.

The angle of the legs (wide so that table won't tip) could make them prone to spaying but the ends of the legs dig into the ground and stiffens things up.

more info and pics here:

http://shufti.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/vanagon-front-table-stand/

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Looks good! Do you have a powder quote number for the color? I have a bunch of interior part to send soon and would like to have as close as possible thanks

madspaniard wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
Yes just mount said base to the other side.. that's it...
I've even used it rear facing as a laptop mount for on a long drive roadtrip.. yes don't sit rearfacing when driving kids, Wink

This is what I did with mine

I bought an extra mount from classifieds here and modified it with some minor cutting and welding to the nut so that it does look stock, powdercoat after that

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just welded the tube from an inside table mount to my jack. Always know where it is, also adds to stabilize van at night.

Secure and solid enough for me to prep veggies and large quantities of tasty vittles.

I did paint it after blasting off the galvanized finish.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Outdoor Table mount Reply with quote

Bumping this thread to add my own creation, which I think is a very simple way of modifying the stock jack to serve double duty as a table holder.

I stumbled on these clamps that are made for DJs to use to affix various pieces of equipment to truss tubes (like spotlights, for example):

https://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-C-CLAMP-Lightin...s=dj+clamp

These are less than $5 a piece, with free shipping if you have amazon prime.

I then took the short M10x1.5 bolt from two of these clamps and welded them to the side of my jack, which takes less than 5 minutes (yes I know my welds are ugly.) I am sure that it would be easy to get a shop to do this for you for a couple of dollars if you don't have a welder yourself:

The DJ clamps are threaded to accept these M10 bolts, so you can then thread the clamps right on to the jack, like so:

Note that they can easily be rotated by hand to be parallel to the axis of the jack so that they don't interfere with the operation of the jack--I did bend the handle out slightly to get better clearance of the knobs on the clamps:

Put the jack in the jack point and crank it enough to stabilize it, rotate the clamps horizontal to the ground, and then can clamp your table leg in.

Plus its height is adjustable, the table can be at low table height or 'bar' height.

For $10 in parts and maybe 15 minutes of time, I think this is a fantastic setup compared to the $150 commercial moun, without adding an additional big chunk of metal to carry around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Outdoor Table mount Reply with quote

Good timing as Ive been thinking of something along these lines. $150 for the GW iteration is just to much for this miser.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Outdoor Table mount Reply with quote

Nice. I struggled to find a way to do that without welding. No luck. This was my substitute: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8369404&highlight=#8369404

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Outdoor Table mount Reply with quote

I did a similar mod by welding a tube to the jack, but after a couple of use, the "H" shaped stamped steel that hold the jack handle became loose. So loose that the 90deg gears are not meshing anymore and I cannot use the jack to lift the van.

Basically if you try to rotate the table while it's clamped to the jack, the whole torsional load (and you have like 3 feet of leverage) goes thru this small "H" shaped part.

If you avoid turning the table while clamped you should be fine however
vw4wd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Outdoor Table mount Reply with quote

I saw this thread back in March and have eventually got around to taking photos of my set up. Essentially, I have a fixed internal leg and two tops, large & small plus a free-standing tripod leg.

The main leg is mounted to the 'C' pillar at the back of the sliding door and parks as an armrest for the rear seat. It can then swing around 100* and take the large top for use by two people in the rear seat.

(sorry some of these photos are rotated - upload process seems to take them back to camera orientation. Is there a way to stop that?)

or it can be rotated further to be shared between front and rear seat users.

And, if you are outside (under an awning, perhaps?) it can be turned to almost sit flush with the sliding door.

The small top can be used by a rear seat passenger (for cards, reading, etc?) whilst travelling or by a single occupant wanting more room to move around the table.

and again it can be swivelled out the door.

The tripod stand allows mobile use, either inside or out -

and is height adjustable -

When not in use the two tops store between the drivers seat and the kitchen.

The main leg is a Reimo part except for the orange fixing arm which I fabricated. It is bolted into two rivnuts in the C pillar. You can get an idea of the attachment method from the first two photos. There is a captive screw in the leg and a large nut-plate under each table top.

The tripod is a music stand with the paper tray removed and a similar screw fitted in the top. You just spin the table top onto it.

1990 Transporter syncro camper with 2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Outdoor Table mount Reply with quote

vw4wd wrote:
The main leg is a Reimo part except for the orange fixing arm which I fabricated. It is bolted into two rivnuts in the C pillar. You can get an idea of the attachment method from the first two photos. There is a captive screw in the leg and a large nut-plate under each table top.

LOVE this mod!!!

??? How did you stabilize the bottom of the leg where it rests on the floor??

if made strong enough, this arm could be used as a footpeg to stand on to reach items on the roof as pictured in another thread here for the foot peg/roof access objective.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vw4wd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Outdoor Table mount Reply with quote

The Reimo table leg comes with a small cylindrical plug which is screwed to the floor and the tube fits around it. Releasing the clamp in the orange arm allows the leg to be lifted out completely. The leg is more commonly fitted to the corner of the kitchen unit but is less flexible in that position.

This arm is nowhere near strong enough to use as a footstep. At least, not for my 13 stone (180lbs) weight! That would be pushing the multi-purpose idea a bit too far! The closing panel on the inside face of the C pillar is actually quite thin metal and flexes a little even under table loading.

1990 Transporter syncro camper with 2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine
MrBuelterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Outdoor Table mount Reply with quote

I love the simplicity of this one

HackAl wrote:
Repurposed old camping chair by hacking off the legs.

Stows away nicely.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: