Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New GoWesty vs Van Cafe Springs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: New GoWesty vs Van Cafe Springs Reply with quote

Hello All-

This is my first post and my first VW. I picked up an 84 (July of 83 actually) Country Homes Camper about a month ago. An older gentleman who owned it for 20 years was selling everything - house, cars, the lot - so he and his wife could get an RV and cruise forever. I was a bit hesitant with a VW; a box of chocolates and all... But when I saw his garage, I knew this thing would be in good shape. All the tools were in place, things were neat and tidy, and I could see that the car had been taken care of. To boot, the engine had just been replaced and only had 6K on it. I couldn't hold back and paid asking - $7.5K - it's worth every penny to me, and that's all that matters.

Now for all the extra pennies I will be putting into it Laughing

I just put on a set of Blisteins, front and rear (what a difference!) and I will be upgrading the tires to VC's 15 or 16 set with the Nokian WRC's. What I am trying to figure out is which set of springs to go with. I've searched the forum, but my eyes are going blurry. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge with the new GoWesty spring, VC's springs, or any other aftermarket set that I don't know about? I've heard rumblings of Moogs (spelling?), but beyond that, I am fairly clueless.

Thank you in advance.

-Todd
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Todd

Welcome to this mad house called The Samba and congratulations on your purchase.

I'll try to be brief, it's late around here. Both VanCafe and GoWesty just came out with new sets of springs so there is no available feedback around here. We can only go with what we know about the predecessors of those two sets of springs.

If I am correct, VanCafe's new springs are based on the old Syncro.org springs, they provide moderate lift depending on the year of the van. Regarding performance of those old syncro.org springs, it is a mixed bag. If you do a search using syncro.org you will find feedback. I have to say I'm not 100% sure new springs from VanCafe are exactly the same as syncro.org springs but I think I remember them saying that. Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

GoWesty new springs are supposed to be the American version of the german H&R progressive springs. Expect around 1.5" lift putting your suspension at the top end. Read their print about using those springs with heavy engine conversions. Usually good reviews about the german springs.

There were at least two recent threads talking about springs. I'll post them tomorrow.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,

Welcome x2.
I'm sure someone will pipe in and emphatically implore that you should change your fuel lines, so I won't tell you.

Be sure to ask lots of questions. Favorite topics, that are not asked or discussed enough include;

What's the best engine (VW, Subaru, Ford, etc..) for a conversion?

What's the best brand of oil for my Vanagon?

What's the best tires for my Vanagon?
Or the variation, What do you think about these specific tires?

What's the best shocks for my Vanagon?

What's the best starter/alternator (insert your part here) for my Vanagon?

I'm sure there are other favorite topics, but those come to mind right now.

Enjoy the madness, and as they say in Korea, "Kap Shi Kap Si Da," or "We go together."
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the NEW Syncro.org and GoWesty 2wd lift springs sitting in boxes at my shop.
Steve donated his and a client purchased the GWs.
This winter I will be building a "lifted 2wd suspension" that will have two versions:
1. stock powered vans, 1.5" lift, no adjustable.
2. conversion powered vans, 1.5" lift, rear adjustable.

Testing will happen once installed.
I will report my findings.

I am also working with T3 Technique and Fastwagens on numerous products for both 2wd and Syncro suspension refinements.

My goal is to have the suspensions built and mounted the middle of Dec.
All the additional parts are still being produced and will be added once I have the production models.

dylan
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

"adjustable"

How is that acheived?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
Enjoy the madness, and as they say in Korea, "Kap Shi Kap Si Da," or "We go together."

Thanks for the welcome. Lived in S. Korea for 6 months. When you eat KimChi, everyone goes together! Fantastic place though. Wish I had my surfboard when I was there - I saw some amazing breaks.

As for the springs, I may hold off for now. I think new tires/wheels are a definite upgrade in the near future. The only thing I am having trouble with is deciding on 15" or 16" wheels. If I go with 16's, and if I am reading correctly the forum threads and advisories on GW and VC sites, they say I may need the extra lift of the new springs to avoid rubbing of the tires. Is a 16" wheel really that different (better?) than a 15" on my 1.9 Vanagon? I mean, I'm not beating anybody up a hill or around a corner Smile

Thanks!
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an 83.5 Westy that I put Bilstiens on and the 15" GW wheel and tire package. Both made for considerable improvements in ride quality and handling. I did the wheel package first and it seemes to provide the biggest improvement compared to the shocks but I'd still say both were a good investment.

I've been looking at and thinking about springs for a long time. In the end, I think the expense of lift springs isn't worth it to me. I find that the stock ride height is adequate for everything I like to do with the van. The only advantage for me would be in that I'd like to go for more of a faux-Syncro look. I think lifted vans look great but I just can't seem to justify the expense for the look.
'96 BMW R1100GS
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:
I find that the stock ride height is adequate for everything I like to do with the van. The only advantage for me would be in that I'd like to go for more of a faux-Syncro look. I think lifted vans look great but I just can't seem to justify the expense for the look.

I am right there with you. I think I like the idea of going off road, but in all my years of driving, haven't ever really done it. Yeah, cruised Baja for surf, but it was dry washboard roads and no sand (where I went). I think in the end it's an equation of desire over need. Need wins out.

Also, insyncro, looking forward to what kind of results you get down the line. Keep us posted!
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do prefer stock height for 2WD vans because we spend most of the time on the road. The lift springs change the center of gravity and that dosen't help with cornering, handling, etc...but the van looks great with them on!

My problem is I currently have syncro.org springs and don't like them at all, it looks like some of these springs had some problems in the past so I'm not saying they are all the same. However, my experience makes me doubt whether I should buy the VanCafe ones. Another option for stock height are the springs sold by BusDepot but I have no idea who makes them and how they perform...

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betavan why do you think you need new springs?
What is your ride height? Measure from the wheel centerline to the wheel arch.
My set up is CLK forged wheels,Nokian and Koni's. If your going to buy wheels go with the 16's. Going with the stiffest sidewall on our vans I think is one of the safest and best handling mod we can do to our vans. 16's will make a stiffer sidewall over a 15. I mean getting passed by a semi truck on the freeway you get that push of air and then the suck. Very mild with my set up. Cross winds handles well. Stiff sidewalls and good shocks your van will manage the weight of our heavy vans very well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
Betavan, why do you think you need new springs?

I was looking to upgrade the suspension, and make the van look a bit cooler with the lift. After listening to my gut and receiving some input from other members here, I think that the new shocks/struts coupled with new tires will be sufficient. As far as 16 and 15 inch tires, I am not sure a 16 inch tire is going to have a stronger sidewall compared to the 15? I guess if the 16's sidewall isn't as tall, it would have a bit more strength? How much - it's a question of math - and it's probably minor.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I am not sure a 16 inch tire is going to have a stronger sidewall compared to the 15?

I learned this after buying 15" rims, there are no E rated 15" tires on this list of BFG AT's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO

There ARE E rated BFG AT's in 16"

they cost more too

its not the sidewall height that makes a 16 stronger in some cases.. its the construction of that particular model of tire

specific examples, the 31x10.5x15 costs $44 less than the equivalent sized 245x75x16, not that you would run those sizes.. or even that tread on a 2wd..

Load ratings on 15" nokians I believe are considerably higher than BFG's. I dont think you can go wrong with a 15" nokian on a 2wd...
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke with Peter from VC. (BTW, he's been nothing but helpful. He even offered to meet me on a Saturday morning to accommodate a planned road trip to Southern California, because that was the only day I could manage.) In the end, I am gonna go with 15" to avoid any clearance issues with the stock springs and the Nokian WRC's. Can't wait to see the change!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BetaVan wrote:
I am gonna go with 15" to avoid any clearance issues with the stock springs and the Nokian WRC's.

Welcome aboard!

Where did you get the above information?

Did you read the wheel threads in the sticky and FAQ?

Wheel issues revolve around what is in the above threads and I do not recall your stated issue.

Please advise.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After months of research I chose to go with 15" Rheins and BFG ATs. I purchased the wheels from VC (Peter) and had Discount Tire price match the cheapest price I could find on the tires. I will be picking up the Vanagon Friday and can tell you the tire size I went with if you would like to know. I want to say they are about 29" in height. I have been very happy with the look of the wheel and the performance of the tire. I would have been happy with the factory rims if they were 15". I have never needed to purchase wheels before but I wanted 15".

I went with GW 2" springs. The wheel and tire combo did fit on my Vanagon without the lift springs. They went on a 91 Syncro Westfalia.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
insyncro wrote:

"adjustable"

How is that acheived?

When the entire system is completed and tested...you shall see.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Todd, a thousand welcomes to you. The Samba is the most interesting and informative VW site on the known planet...hope you enjoy it.
I see your in Redwood City, if you haven't been by Freds Garage in RWC, I can assure you that they are an outstanding shop to have work done.
They have been twistin' bolts on Vanagons since the 1950's. Tom and John Umhofer are located at 416 "D" Street and their number is (650) 368-5343.
Happy & safe travels to ya'
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth. When my suspension was in need of restoration, I chose the new Syncro.org springs. This was at the time Steve was changing manufacturers, and I was invited to test run a set of the second round of prototypes. I could not have been happier. After one year and 10,000 miles, I still have nothing but good things to say about these springs. I do a lot of back road, logging road, and interstate driving and they continue to make me happy!!
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB, thanks. I actually took the van into Fred's to attach the shocks and struts. I also seemed to have a bit of a coolant leak, as my overflow tank was empty after a few drives. They popped on a pump to test the hose under pressure, found that the hoses were fine, but the hose clamps were not sufficiently tightened. They remedied the situation and charged my for installation only. Great shop, and I am lucky to have it so close.

Heidi85ho, glad to hear the springs are working great for you. I will most likely change out the springs at some point, but I think shock/strut and tire/wheel upgrade will be sufficient for now. I have to donate the other funds into a sound system and big brakes. I like music and stopping. Don't do too much back road, and with winter coming, that will be a while anyway. They're calling for another wet one out here on the west coast. Not that I am complaining about Tahoe's 900 inches of snow last year Very Happy
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I have both the NEW Syncro.org and GoWesty 2wd lift springs sitting in boxes at my shop.
Steve donated his and a client purchased the GWs.
This winter I will be building a "lifted 2wd suspension" that will have two versions:
1. stock powered vans, 1.5" lift, no adjustable.

Testing will happen once installed.
I will report my findings.

I am also working with T3 Technique and Fastwagens on numerous products for both 2wd and Syncro suspension refinements.

My goal is to have the suspensions built and mounted the middle of Dec.
All the additional parts are still being produced and will be added once I have the production models.

dylan

Dylan,

This all sounds very intriguing. With you running the R&D, I'm sure the results will be solid.

Please keep us posted here.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: