Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Disc Brakes, no Instructions. What am I doing wrong?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustBuggy - you may have problems bleeding the rear brakes with them mounted at the 12:00 position. The bleeder may not be at the highest position because of where the brake line hooks up. Your brake line also looks like it has a high spot just before the caliper that may hold air. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics are from someone else's car, not mine.

However I went over the instructions again. It says to hold the caliper up at the 12 o'clock position to bleed them the 1st time. Rolling Eyes I'll try this next.

Today I'm going to make a pressure bleeder from a common garden sprayer. I already have the extra brake reservoir cap and the shrader air fitting. This should help a lot.
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the calipers up as far as I possibly could. They were more in the 1 o'clock position but this did help remove a bit more air. While I was at it I flushed the entire brake system.

The rear calipers were bolted back in with Loctite and I climbed in to try the pedal. The pedal never felt this firm in the 2 1/2 yrs that I've owned this car!

With the power bleeder, it made things so much easier. Finally got this conversion done!!!!!!! Cool Very Happy

Today my gas tank is due to be finished. Once that is back in I can reinstall the engine. Hoping to get this all done THIS WEEK so that the car can be entered in the local VW show. It's gonna be close!!!!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is everyone as cheap as me, or has anyone used the more expensive, nicer looking disc brakes offered? The kits that cost $ 750 and up.

Just wondering if the price differential equates to a better fitting parts, better quality materials, better instructions.

Maybe the struggle some of have faced is just due to us being cheap and useing the China crap.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if the more expensive parts fit better. Couldn't pass up the $199 deal they had at the time. What can I say, I'm cheap.
Kreelak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried these yet i know they might be a bit over kill but i love the abilaty to change bolt patterns and caliper pistons from 1,4and 6

http://airkewld.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemar...Itemid=259
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kreelak wrote:
has anyone tried these yet i know they might be a bit over kill but i love the abilaty to change bolt patterns and caliper pistons from 1,4and 6

http://airkewld.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemar...Itemid=259

Which of those sets are you indicating?

Airkewled certianly has some fine quality parts. I ran them on my drag rail and liked the quality fo their parts.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Kreelak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the one for the front and rear set i would love to use. totaly over kill but its a want not a need

1949-65 Beetle/Ghia Complete Disc Brake Kit - Stage 3 - 5x205mm

http://airkewld.com/index.php?page=shop.product_de...Itemid=259
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: