Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

duh, where's this wire go?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: duh, where's this wire go? Reply with quote

hopefully, this will be the last stupid question i ask on here for a while. i have things mostly back together, but i can't figure out where this red wire goes. it's got a terminal that would fit on the alternator (where the other two fat red wires attach). it's coming from a bundle that also runs to the a/c compressor (i don't have the a/c hooked up).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i think i remember considering sticking on some tape with a label to indicate where it came from (as i did with the other wires), but i thought, "i won't forget where this one goes."

thanks again,
james
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happens to me, I check to see which terminals it will reach. If only one, we have a winner. If mulitiple points, then you need more research. Check to see if VW labeled it with a wire code, look it up. If no code, follow the loom.

Or... maybe one of the more learned gurus here will just know.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to see what part of the harness it came out of to compare and make a suggestion.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you mention what year you have (and other details) it will be easier for someone with the same year & engine to identify it.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: duh, where's this wire go? Reply with quote

That looks like the main power feed for the rear A/C unit. It connects to the alternator stud along with some other red wires. If you don't plan to run the A/C you can leave it off.

Mark

duderanchero wrote:
hopefully, this will be the last stupid question i ask on here for a while. i have things mostly back together, but i can't figure out where this red wire goes. it's got a terminal that would fit on the alternator (where the other two fat red wires attach). it's coming from a bundle that also runs to the a/c compressor (i don't have the a/c hooked up).

thanks again,
james
mtwrench540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: red wire Reply with quote

look at 8x125 stud in picture ,i do belive it goes there. on back of alt .
87 wolfsberg,74 181w/1915 and lots of patina! learned to fix vw's from hot vw mag in 1964,VWOA instructor,DSM,69 to73,service mgr at different porsche-audi dealers etc,etc,now retired!!! first vw new 64,transplanted 356 eng in 65,400characters are not enough space!!
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: duh, where's this wire go? Reply with quote

Mark is not crazy, he is right.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
That looks like the main power feed for the rear A/C unit. It connects to the alternator stud along with some other red wires. If you don't plan to run the A/C you can leave it off.

Mark

duderanchero wrote:

thanks again,
james

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to everyone for the replies! i figured it might be the a/c power, as that would explain why i didn't label whence it came: it wasn't connected to anything.

btw, it's a '91 carat. i'm pretty out of it by the end of these all-night sessions, and am unable to focus on such mundane, yet crucial details. i should probably get some sleep before i try firing her up, just to make sure i didn't forget something(s).
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

late 2.1 app-- it comes from the lr corner of the er and powers the 50A fuse for the ac and the clutch connectors too.
there is one more hot tapper in the er-- in the black plug box theres a hot lug the starter takes from--
mark is right here--
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better question is why don't you have the AC hooked up. You live in Texas. When the AC is working correctly it is pretty good. Especially in high humidity like here in PA.
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't hooked up the a/c because i don't like dealing with electricity. i understand simple circuits, but i'm almost certain trying to get it running would mire me in frustration.

and yes, it's mighty hot down here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: