Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bedliner thoughts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
I went with black cuz it happened to go well with my overall look.

Ditto.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like the black better too, on any color van, especially white. Could I trouble you for a pic of the front wheel arches/transition/threshold area? Possibly with the door open? This is one GW talks about but it's hard to tell from their pics.
Your van looks great!

Thanks
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your look is awesome probally the coolest paint scheme
1964 vespa vbb 150
1973 vespa sprint
2005 toyota tacoma Ole reliable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

Though I don't plan to use it personally...this seems like a good vid for those who do -

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

Thinking about doing this on our '90 Syncro before installing RMW front and rear bumpers. What are your current thoughts? Our paint is very well preserved so it sort of hurts to cover it up with bed liner. But, my wife and I both love the look and feel it would transition best with the bumpers. We are concerned about it fading etc...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

Don’t do it.
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
Don’t do it.

Always listen to the man of few words! Very Happy
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

This is a personal preference thing. Make sure you have before pictures so you can prove you didn’t do it to cover up rust. Some people will say it hurts resale but I don’t think so. I did it to my van in the early 90’s before it was popular and redid about 4 years ago. There was no rust under it and that’s in the north east. There are people here that hate it and some that love it. It’s your van do what makes you happy. John
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

What we need to hear is jfrom the guys with the older posts on how well it's held up and any rust issues they've had.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
What we need to hear is jfrom the guys with the older posts on how well it's held up and any rust issues they've had.

I started with rust issues. Laughing I didn't use bedliner either because I didn't want any issues removing it. I sprayed on plastidip purely for the looks. I can see in some spots it probably slowed the rust down but it's still rusting.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

Monster liner is uv stable and you can tint it. Been on my van for 5 years in the socal sun, no problems. Fix and rust first is wise advise.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

SoloTheSyncro wrote:
Thinking about doing this on our '90 Syncro before installing RMW front and rear bumpers. What are your current thoughts? Our paint is very well preserved so it sort of hurts to cover it up with bed liner. But, my wife and I both love the look and feel it would transition best with the bumpers. We are concerned about it fading etc...

Another vote for NO. Especially on such a nice low mile example. If anything I would just use paint not bedliner.
At least wait until you add the RMW bumpers, you'll find the front door panels don't match the bumpers and the paint strip will be higher than the bumpers.

However, good choice on the RMW bumpers. Much stouter than the flimsy fiberglass jobs VW saddled the Syncros with. The rear RMW bumper offers much more protection and offers a great step and there's also a 2" hitch receiver.

We removed the fiberglass door rocker panels from ours after installing the RMW bumpers; makes for a cleaner look, and added the TerraWagen flares to the arches.

You can scroll through my gallery to see more pictures of our Westy in different light and circumstances.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
Don’t do it.

x2

why ruin such a clean van!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

X3 - if only because when I see bedliner on the lower panels I wonder (suspect) what lies beneath.

If you like the look perhaps there is a plastic film type application that could create the black band to tie in the bumpers yet be easily removable.
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies! I think we will pass on the bed liner. We have zero rust now and I do worry about removing it years down the road if needed. Maybe a vinyl wrap would be the way to go to capture the look albeit without the added "protection".
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

Please don't wreck that clean, low mileage Syncro.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
X3 - if only because when I see bedliner on the lower panels I wonder (suspect) what lies beneath.

also this

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

thoughts: after i welded new rockers ( the ones i make) and various other parts i used this stuff to fill inside the rocker panel before welding the outer skin. my rockers had both begun to rot pretty badly. after cleaning the truck and filling the seams i rolled out two coats of black up the sides and inside the bumpers etc. also inside the treasure chest doors at the bottoms... at this point im super happy with the finish. i know its not show quality and dont care . i use this truck everyday so its more important to me that its durable. i used seam sealer and welded new panels in where needed, i hit the floor inside the door step as well. in my opinion this is the perfect finish for this truck. i LOVE THIS STUFF. Exclamation

(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

You can tint raptor liner to match your existing paint and you can spray it on over liquid sound deadeners like lizard skin. You can also adjust it so it has a much finer texture than you normally see. I can't remember but I may have sprayed it out of a regular paint gun instead of a shutz gun. See last image.

So this

ends up looking like this

and this treated rust area doesn't call any attention to itself. It would be better with more prep and if I didn't drag the air hose on the right hand side.

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner thoughts Reply with quote

looks great. all the redoxphobia is getting ridiculous. anyone whose ever done body work doesnt want to do it over and over. i notice the only people who are 'against' this ,are people who most likely arent metalworkers ,and also i wouldnt trust with a welder and body hammer to begin with. do yourself a favor and clean your trucks get them rust free and then put this stuff on it. its awesome. for all the body people reading, yes it totally sucks to take off, kinda the point though right?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: