Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Berry C Cabs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Ford factory C-cab was a brass era 1911 Model T Truck. It was gorgeous. If you rolled into about any car show with a stock one you'd probably take home a trophy. I'd love to own one. I don't think Samba wants folks to discuss non VW based stuff though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touchy, touchy, touchy there, Dale; I can't speak for anyone else but I appreciate the 70's aspect of this C Cab, because its over-the-top (some may consider it gaudy, but that is part of it's charm). Most of all, I like it because is a good representation of a CONCEPT build, incorporating a theme that possibly hits home with those that appreciate the effort.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
vw_hank wrote:
Georg Barris? did the "T" buggy, but this is the mini-T so not sure.

This is a Berry Mini-T, built in Long Beach by Berry Industries. When I say I'd like to know who designed it, I mean the individual person.

It came out a year or so before the Barris T-Buggy. George Barris had nothing to do with this design, he just copied the concept.

I'm sorry, I know I'm not part of the club! so my post was probably considered totally out of line..

I did not say Barris manufactured this car, you asked who the Designer was? I replied with A ? about Georg Barris, knowing that he Is one of the greatest car designers and builders that has ever lived! and knowing that he designed A very similar car, I just thot maby he had A hand in the design of this one also.. I know Berry Industries manufactured the kit, it kinda tells you that in the name of the car "Berry Mini-T" but I didn't think that meant Georg Barris could not have designed it for them, cents he was A designer and A balder, and not A manufacturer..
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response was curt and I apologize. I had a buddy that built a Berry Mini-T in the late 60s. I've always thought it was a great, fun design. In the years since I've seen them called a Barris Mini-T, more often than a Berry. George Barris has gotten a lot of credit for building a lot of famous cars. The Berry Mini-T isn't the only one that was really designed by someone else.

I see Dave Deal's style all over the Berry Mini-T. That's who I really wonder whether he had a hand in it.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
My response was curt and I apologize. I had a buddy that built a Berry Mini-T in the late 60s. I've always thought it was a great, fun design. In the years since I've seen them called a Barris Mini-T, more often than a Berry. George Barris has gotten a lot of credit for building a lot of famous cars. The Berry Mini-T isn't the only one that was really designed by someone else.

I see Dave Deal's style all over the Berry Mini-T. That's who I really wonder whether he had a hand in it.

I understand,,
its funny how some people git all the credit, some people are remembered for the lesser things thy did, and some people dont git any credit at all..
Look at big daddy Ed Roth,, every one knows him as the "rat fink" guy! but the fact that he is the guy responsible for the supper cool fiberglass bodies you see on all the old VW trikes is totally forgotten..
Have you looked at what Wikipedia has to say about VonDutch?
"Von Dutch is an American multinational clothing company named after artist Kenny Howard.[1] After Howard's death in 1992, his daughters sold the Von Dutch name to Michael Cassel and Robert Vaughn.[citation needed] The brand gained popularity in the US and attracted the attention of celebrities such as Paris Hilton, Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears.[2]

The Von Dutch company is now a multinational clothing and accessories company, owned by Groupe Royer S.A. since 2001.[citation needed]"
Shocked Pretty damn sad that thats what comes up Crying or Very sad you got to click A bunch of links to find out what HE was about,, people are going to think he is nothing but A brand! Crying or Very sad
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von Dutch is the first thing I thought when I saw this.

vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Von Dutch is the first thing I thought when I saw this.

Von Dutch the clothing company? Laughing sorry, bad joke..
its sad that his own kid would sell out his name in that way,, leaving him to be remembered as A clothing label,, every time I see some kid wearing A VonDutch hat, ext. I make it A point to ask them if thy have any clue who he was, most of the time thy say something like "I dont know, It was just A cool hat" Rolling Eyes
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like when you see young girls walking around in pink Hollister T shirts. What do those shirts have to do with the Booze Fighters motorcycle club and this?

Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes the Von Dutch/Hollister thang.

When I see a kid with a Von Dutch shirt (usualy a young girl) I'll say something like, "Cool - you're into custom guns!" Her expession usually says it all and I ask her just who she thinks Von Dutch was? I explain that he was the father of Pinstriping and a custom gun maker...not to mention a few other things.

Hollister - I see a shirt and say to the wearer - "so you're into the outlaw biker heritage? You do know it was all a set-up by Life magazine?" - same confused expression and I explain that their shirt is a town on the West coast known for creating the "Biker Myth".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombie wrote:
Not to sidetrack your thread eryk but here's a picture of that c-cab I saw last weekend.

Nice one! Even has the original radiator cap!
zombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^That really fucked me up when I saw it in person. I will own one some day.

Eryk wrote:
Their whole design aesthetic and the culture/era/place they were created in is what makes them so unique and appealing to me. I couldn't care less about their evolution up to today. While I appreciate the build effort/quality, I'm not usually impressed by how modern you can make your buggy. Anyone can buy their way into the latest manx knockoff with recarro seats, nifty billet mirrors, and catalog wheels. But do something original and creative, breathe life into something that existed in an era long forgotten and you have my attention. It's the difference between the person who finds a '41 Chrysler to restore with a nod to a certain period and guy who goes out and buys a PT Cruiser with baby moons and every plastichrome accessory the dealer has to offer. That's just my useless opinion.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Kit cars just got lame after the '70s.
I have a small obsession with these c cabs.

What's your problem dale? Did a mini T touch you as a child?
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombie wrote:
^That really fucked me up when I saw it in person. I will own one some day.

Eryk wrote:
Their whole design aesthetic and the culture/era/place they were created in is what makes them so unique and appealing to me. I couldn't care less about their evolution up to today. While I appreciate the build effort/quality, I'm not usually impressed by how modern you can make your buggy. Anyone can buy their way into the latest manx knockoff with recarro seats, nifty billet mirrors, and catalog wheels. But do something original and creative, breathe life into something that existed in an era long forgotten and you have my attention. It's the difference between the person who finds a '41 Chrysler to restore with a nod to a certain period and guy who goes out and buys a PT Cruiser with baby moons and every plastichrome accessory the dealer has to offer. That's just my useless opinion.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Kit cars just got lame after the '70s. I have a small obsession with these c cabs.

What's your problem dale? Did a mini T touch you as a child?
The kit cars of the 60's & 70's were there own cars! then the industry tern to replicas Confused "bald A Ferrari in your garage",, YA!!!!!!!!
I too like the kits of the 60's & 70's for there originality! Just think if Bruce Myers didn't think out side the box Question
zombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word, screw "replicas"
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another

Tass 928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: C-cab Reply with quote

Mine is a Sand Rover T with the side pods and roof. I have not seen to many that had all of the body parts. I bought the body from KAR in Monson MA back in 76' . I am the original builder owner and still have the car. Very Happy

[img]http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/members/tass-928-albums-buggy-project-picture14687t-2-[/img]
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to see it but couldn't get your picture to open
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tass 928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
BL3Manx wrote:

Thank you, I have to sharpen my picture posting skills. Smile
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessong wrote:
Ahh yes the Von Dutch/Hollister thang.

When I see a kid with a Von Dutch shirt (usualy a young girl) I'll say something like, "Cool - you're into custom guns!" Her expession usually says it all and I ask her just who she thinks Von Dutch was? I explain that he was the father of Pinstriping and a custom gun maker...not to mention a few other things.

Hollister - I see a shirt and say to the wearer - "so you're into the outlaw biker heritage? You do know it was all a set-up by Life magazine?" - same confused expression and I explain that their shirt is a town on the West coast known for creating the "Biker Myth".

I always confuse the hell out of my kids when I tell them Hollister is 30 miles from the ocean and the surfing in Hollister sucks. Wink
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Newhall recently

at Oceano in 2008

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: