Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ideas for dash mounting
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Ideas for dash mounting Reply with quote

I'm mounting a tablet computer in the van. Right now I have a ball mount clamped inside the dash vent. It is okay but kind of flexy - the dash metal is flexing because of the long lever arm. The pros of this position is that I didn't need to drill into the dashboard, and I'm glad I didn't because it's not the ideal spot.

Anyone have any ideas of how I should mount this thing? I could use a shorter arm and put the ball closer to the front of the dash, but then I need to drill holes. Also the ball mount will be sandwiching the foam dash topper and it won't be very solid.

Another option is to somehow stiffen the dash around the ball mount. This is what I'm leaning toward right now.

Here's some more info on my project:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=652285

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you have it mounted now is it flexing the metal? I like where you have it now but I would maybe add a support halfway down the arm to give mo0re support. How big is this Tablet and what will it be used for?
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
Where you have it mounted now is it flexing the metal? I like where you have it now but I would maybe add a support halfway down the arm to give mo0re support. How big is this Tablet and what will it be used for?

Yes it flexes the metal, so when driving over bumps it bounces annoyingly.

There's some pics and other stuff in the link I posted.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=652285

I was thinking of adding a support but I like the simplicity of just the one attachment point, and then I didn't see anything I could easily brace to either.

Maybe a big flat rubber pad that just sits on the dash would work. Then I could make a metal support, drill the arm, and bolt it to that.
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all "Jar of Flies" Alice in Chains? will warp any dash regardless of supports. That is why I have it in my iPod. I would slip a simple solution in there by way of a "Squeeze Ball". Have you ever given blood? Slightly personal I know, but the ball you squeeze to get a hot vein, is what you need to simply place under the arm and ad some support. Orr a tennis ball or whatever just to add that needed support. Do you drive w that shhhhhhiiiiitttt rolling? lol.. A Movie while we drive at oh say 55-65 mile per hour? Sweet. You r my kinda trip. Let's do this!
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't you use the pull out ashtray space for the tennis ball or something just as extra support. Might be best to leave the ashtray in with lid wide open so the support doesn't rest of the radio.

Gosh in Ontario we'd be pulled over for driving with that first because it impairs view and two we have legislation about GPS, DVDs, etc... for the driver. Nice otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does that thing weigh?

So here is my idea....What about using angled aluminum that slides into the right side groove of the instrument cover? You would have to cut/grind the vertical portion of the angled aluminum to get the mount to sit flush to the dash and still have plenty of area to drill. Then drill into the dash along the vertical portion of the groove. Then mount a plate of mild steel (painted black) or the like to the angled aluminum. Thus the holes would be hidden if you ever decide to remove the tablet. For added support you could extend the plate or material of choice to the ash tray and clamp it or hook it into the opening some how. I did a light weight version of this for mounting my gps and gauges. When I get my van back from the body shop, I will try to post some pics.

What ever you do, please let us know. Would love to see what you come up with.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario has a rules against GPS? Dang. I can see the movie being played, but GPS can be much safer than trying to refold the map while driving, or looking for the city in the index in the back of the atlas.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me that the bottom of the holder lines up with the leading edge of the dash. Why not just lower it a little so that it rests on the dash? I had a similar problem a while back with a cell phone holder that was on a long suction cup arm, when I let it rest on the dash all my problems went away.

Good Luck,

Hans
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an ashtray anymore. It's a vent for my Behr AC. When it's hot out I plan to just raise it up so I can get some blowage but that needs to factor into the support too, hmmm...

The driver can't look at a GPS while driving up yonder? That's a bit limiting, eh! We have laws here for no texting while driving, but GPS is ok.

In Japan they all have television in their car. The sound is always on but to see the video they need to pull the handbrake. At every stop light they will pull the brake to get in a minute of their goofy game shows!

I think I just need another hand to hold it up...

presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
How much does that thing weigh?

It's 1.5 lbs + maybe 1 lbs for the aluminum arm.

Quote:
So here is my idea....What about using angled aluminum that slides into the right side groove of the instrument cover?

Not a bad idea, that way the bracket could be near the front to reduce the cantilever. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if that will work...

hdenter wrote:
Why not just lower it a little so that it rests on the dash?

The power plug on the bottom gets in the way, and I want to be able to swivel it to the passenger seat if need be.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be mounted in such a way that it does not obstruct the windshield and you can not be seen to be adjusting/operating it. It's sorta tied in with the use of cell phones and the hands off the wheel. It's doable tho, just don't get caught programming, etc....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man if you get into an accident that is one nasty projectile.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking under the instrument cluster, it looks like I could use some bar stock under the two mounting tabs on that side. This would lift it up slightly, leaving room for the cover to close. Then I could weld another bar to that one and snake it up and out through the crack. It would be stiff in the direction I desire, with a slight moment load to the side but I think it is worth a shot!

No holes to drill for this so no worries if it doesn't work. Thanks for the idea Rhinoculips!

GrindGarage wrote:
Man if you get into an accident that is one nasty projectile.

Laughing I guess. So is anything else you don't have tied down in your van. It's secured pretty well actually so it's better than something just sitting on the floor. I'll take my chances with this 1.5 lb "nasty projectile."
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is what I've come up with. I'm still waiting for the shorter RAM arm. It seems pretty stiff, the dash still flexes a bit but it should be better than the other location.

No new holes in the dash! I did trim the little edge on the foam topper but it's very minor and not noticable.

hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Clean it up and paint it black. I will have to remember this bracket if I ever run into a similar situation.

Hans
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Is there a reason why you took it up the side of the instrument cover instead of horizontally over the dash? Ease of build maybe? One less bend? If it still bounces to much, bending it so the bracket is horizontal may stiffen it up a bit. Regardless, I like it a lot!

What is this foam topper you speak of?

Click to view image
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
Very nice! Is there a reason why you took it up the side of the instrument cover instead of horizontally over the dash? Ease of build maybe? One less bend? If it still bounces to much, bending it so the bracket is horizontal may stiffen it up a bit. Regardless, I like it a lot!

What is this foam topper you speak of?

Thanks guys! Yes if you look at the RAM arm it has more articulation in one axis. Using the previous position I was at the limit. This way should give me more freedom.

The foam dash topper is just the stock foam top to the steel dashboard. The old aircooled vans didn't have the hard foam dash, they just had steel. Pretty much all the dash you see in the pic is plastic covered foam.
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha! That makes sense on both counts. Be sure to post a photo when you get the shorter arm.

Click to view image
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the final setup. It's pretty stiff, although it could be a bit better if I cut a slot in the instrument cover to brace the part the ball mounts to. I'm pretty happy with it as is.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Very Happy

BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done, now a question, wherre did you find the light switch below the hazard? I also have an 86, mine is a blank, and I want a switch there for when I add the driving lights.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: