Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autocraft vs. Klassicfab vs. Wolfsburg West vs. BBT
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Autocraft vs. Klassicfab vs. Wolfsburg West vs. BBT Reply with quote

I am wondering if anybody has put equivalent sheet metal parts side by side and compared the quality? Is there much of a difference? I'd like to see photos comparing the two and noting differences/similarities and quality of each...

Now that autocraft is more readily available in NA, I am considering it as an option, I'd like to use something other than funky green for personal reasons, if the quality is good. I have a very large sheet metal order to place soon and want to get the best bang for my buck....

I am sure there must be others wondering the same thing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used autocraft on my bus and its great!!

It helps that they are based less than 80 miles from me but I was very happy with the bits I got

All the parts are crisply and cleanly cut and everything fitted perfectly.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleseb wrote:
I have used autocraft on my bus and its great!!

It helps that they are based less than 80 miles from me but I was very happy with the bits I got

All the parts are crisply and cleanly cut and everything fitted perfectly.

Thanks, it would be great if there was a direct comparison or someone happened to have purchased some of each and could look at them side by side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both many times

I have ranked them like this before

NOS 10
autocraft 9
classic fab 7-9

Anything that autocraft makes is equiverlant or better than classic fab.

Wolfberg west now also make excellent front and cargo floors and a very good looking cargo rocker, which I have in the shop but have yet to fit. (but it has crisper corners that even the good autocraft.)
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:

NOS 10
autocraft 9
classic fab 7-9

Wolfberg west now also make excellent front and cargo floors and a very good looking cargo rocker, which I have in the shop but have yet to fit. (but it has crisper corners that even the good autocraft.)

This is what I wanted to hear, I have seen several funky green panels, that were a little 'funked' up and needed to be returned. I was hoping autocraft might be a little better. I am also looking for good customer service. Have you been dealing with the new US supplier?

One could also wonder if the metal quality is different depending on what continent the product was sourced/made?
60sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some bus replacement parts,where is Autocraft out of?
not the engine guys is it?
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autocraft can not keep up with production , also they are very limited on what they sell. Autocraft is NOT sold in the USA...and also the price of parts is almost double the price of Klassicfab. This has been a sore spot for the UK guys for a long time.... Yes, the parts Autocraft makes are super nice.... clean and crisp like stated above..... but.... do they make complete A pilers specific to your year bus? Do they make frame sections? do they make 1950 vertical tire Barndoor doglegs? Sorry , I'm bias on the other end of this battle... Klassicfab worked with me to build the right parts for my 1950 kombi to make it as correct as it came from the factory! I would love to see some of these guys who have completely rebuilt some of these barndoors with only the roof remaining with Auocraft as the only supplier!!! Very Happy
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2.
Klassicfab's availability of year and model specific parts cannot be matched. They make pieces that no one else will ever make.
Slow Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought the funky green stuff before and have to say that I have no complaints, only compliments. I bought my parts directly from Klassicfab via email. There was a small mixup, but was quickly corrected by Gerson himself. Quality of parts were great (maybe a little trimming here and there.. no biggie at all) and customer service was top notch; quick responses to emails, fast shipping and correction to minor mixup. My 2 cents.
100 years from now when they have reverse atom regeneration attractor technology perfected and in a hand held back yard mechanic's price range, someone will dig up this thread and go, "What were those guys thinking? The whole thing was all there just waiting to be re-atomized. Funny how easily they cut them up back then."

74 911
72 914
65 13w Deluxe
60 Ragtop
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a comparison of bus rockers. i pulled the pics and comments from a different VW forum

one original and 3 aftermatket. most of you can guess which one is which by the colors
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OG cargo rocker profile

The Schofield was of correct gauge but all dimensions were off by 1/8" plus the bend radius's just sucked ass

WW was 1/8" short to the gasket surface plus .009" too thin a gauge metal...sucks balls cuz it was a great looking part.

KF was crappy too but was limited to the top bend just not being broken over quite enough. Other cosmetic flaws were hammered out.

After 3.5 hours tonight I got an acceptable cargo rocker ready to start fitting

oldskool69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Autocraft is NOT sold in the USA...and also the price of parts is almost double the price of Klassicfab.

There is a US supplier now, all the parts ive looked at are cheaper than klassicfab.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldskool69 wrote:
bubba wrote:
Autocraft is NOT sold in the USA...and also the price of parts is almost double the price of Klassicfab.

There is a US supplier now, all the parts ive looked at are cheaper than klassicfab.

if there is a supplier in the USA then who is it???
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:
oldskool69 wrote:
bubba wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=vintage-wagen

All of the prices look good too.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that autocraft is selling in the US...If I recall they are making repair panels for other VW's as well and are some of the best if not the only supplier.

Now KF needs to start poppin' panels for vanagons.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
krusher wrote:

NOS 10
autocraft 9
classic fab 7-9

This is what I wanted to hear, I have seen several funky green panels, that were a little 'funked' up and needed to be returned. I was hoping autocraft might be a little better. I am also looking for good customer service. Have you been dealing with the new US supplier?

One could also wonder if the metal quality is different depending on what continent the product was sourced/made?

No, i;m in the uk, i just call up the guys and they have stuff instock to me the day after. Very Happy
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robertjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called the number on the Vintage Volkswagen website. Honestly sounded like I was talking to Peggy from the Discover commercial!!

Anyways, he's in the process of getting the new website up and running, which should be a couple of months. Till then he suggested using the Auto Craft Enginnering UK website as reference for parts. Then I can call them with the info.

He said they are bringing in about 10-20% of the catalog to begin with, adding the remainder little by little. If they don't have what you want in stock they will special order it from the UK, which he estimated would take up to three weeks.

My question is this. I need to get the window sill section under the right window. Do I get one if Gerson's green wonders now, or do I wait and order an autocraft one a bit later?

Thoughts?

Robert
1972 VW Squareback (Autobahn in the Sky - July 1987)
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Autocraft can not keep up with production , also they are very limited on what they sell. Autocraft is NOT sold in the USA...and also the price of parts is almost double the price of Klassicfab. This has been a sore spot for the UK guys for a long time.... Yes, the parts Autocraft makes are super nice.... clean and crisp like stated above..... but.... do they make complete A pilers specific to your year bus? Do they make frame sections? do they make 1950 vertical tire Barndoor doglegs? Sorry , I'm bias on the other end of this battle... Klassicfab worked with me to build the right parts for my 1950 kombi to make it as correct as it came from the factory! I would love to see some of these guys who have completely rebuilt some of these barndoors with only the roof remaining with Auocraft as the only supplier!!! Very Happy

I have to say i have found this to be the complete opposite here in the UK as the autocraft stuff is cheaper here because of no shipping/taxes but can expect that due to both companies location

as for AC not being able to keep up?maybe?but it 6-12months for the KF stuff to be made/arrive here and Vw heritage told me 2 weeks ago that they wont be getting anymore KF panels as its too much bother!which is a shame

i think the AC stuff is sharper but there panel range is limited,KF range is outstanding,maybe there panels have more of a hand made look but are still very good and heaps of buses have gerson to thank for there life which you can never knock

maybe the best thing to do is to buy some of both? Wink [/list]

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:
a comparison of bus rockers. i pulled the pics and comments from a different VW forum

I wish Autocraft had been in that comparison.

widehatch wrote:

I made a jig for bending mine.

bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
widehatch wrote:
oldskool69 wrote:
bubba wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=vintage-wagen

All of the prices look good too.
Is this there total line of parts they make? Do they only make the outside skin of the dogleg? or do they make it complete? Don't get me wrong Autocraft makes great parts....for the pieces they make.. Shipping is the killer to the UK...
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:

one original and 3 aftermatket. most of you can guess which one is which by the colors

OG cargo rocker profile

The Schofield was of correct gauge but all dimensions were off by 1/8" plus the bend radius's just sucked ass

WW was 1/8" short to the gasket surface plus .009" too thin a gauge metal...sucks balls cuz it was a great looking part.

KF was crappy too but was limited to the top bend just not being broken over quite enough. Other cosmetic flaws were hammered out.

Funny that the one with the most correct end side profile is the crappiest after it is installed. There is a big sucking in bow in the profile right in the middle of the cargo doors on every WWW cargo rocker i have ever seen installed. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 39

Jump to: