Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping/Nova Scotia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Camping/Nova Scotia Reply with quote

Next week 8/30-9/2 I plan on driving the bus through Maine and into NB and into Nova Scotia.

I only have a few days, plan on taking the ferry at St. John-Digby. Anyone done this before? Is it worth the $261 round trip on the ferry?

Any samba members want to shack me up for the night in there driveway/yard? Good camp grounds in the area? I plan to hit the Halifax vw club meet on thursday.

Is it a good trip? Or does New Brunswick and Nova Scotia look a lot like new New England?

Be on the look out for me:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS and NB are a lot like Maine, but Halifax is awesome and it'll be worth the time to get there.

Haven't taken the ferry but I think it will make your trip more interesting.

Driving up and around the Bay of Fundy (through Moncton) is a pretty boring drive in my opinion. I'm not 100% sure but taking the ferry will probably take longer - St. John to Halifax is about 5 hours if you drove up around the bay.

Sorry, can't help with the camping.
codyandnatasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the maritimes are beautiful and I think you will have a blast! Not sure about the ferry- it might be worth your while cruising up the 1 (coastal route) in maine and taking the ferry in Eastport to Deer Island and then continue along the trans canada to st John- it is on the way and ver scenic- lots of great roads on the islands- not sure how much the ferry costs though- not much? There is camping on Deer Island on the water for 20 bucks a night more or less- be warned there is no liquor store though, so sneak some across the border!! cheers-
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping/Nova Scotia Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
Is it a good trip? Or does New Brunswick and Nova Scotia look a lot like new New England?
There's always New Jersey.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the deal with canadian gas? I run high octane in my bus, dude to a stroker engine in my bus. I heard canadian gas is low octane? True? I've been told by other folks with buses who have gone to NB and NS that their bus' ran like crap in canada due to the low octane gas.
I'm only looking for a place to crash in the bus for a few days, nothing fancy. The ferry from St. John-Digby worth it? $260is round trip seems like a lot of money for a ferry. But it would shave a few hours off of driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping/Nova Scotia Reply with quote

shiningstar76 wrote:
60vwnewengland wrote:
There's always New Jersey.

If I wanted to smell armpits, I'd sniff my own. Jersey is not my first choice, it's like #49.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the same to me.
http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/wholesalefuel/314.aspx
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colonel_Mustard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want different? Come to Newfoundland Smile
morgoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Cabot trail in Cape Breton, head down the gravel road at midpoint to a place called Meat Cove.

When in Halifax check out the Alexander Keith's brewery

Isn't the ferry across a hydrofoil?... That would be cool, still pricey
We always drove around just because it seemed so expensive.
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas is the same - just more expensive.

I don't think the ferry is worth it. Once you hit St. John it's 4 lane highway all the way to Halifax and it's in pretty good shape.

New River Provincial Park may be a good stop for camping. It's just before St. John and right off the highway.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giller wrote:
Gas is the same - just more expensive.

I don't think the ferry is worth it. Once you hit St. John it's 4 lane highway all the way to Halifax and it's in pretty good shape.

New River Provincial Park may be a good stop for camping. It's just before St. John and right off the highway.

What are you paying per liter these days?
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends a lot on where you live. In Ontario, high octane is anywhere between $1.25 to $1.40 per litre. Out east it could be a bit more.

I go out to NB every year to visit family (I live in Ottawa, Ontario). This was the first year we took the bus and because of gas prices and the strong Canadian dollar I decided to go through the States to get there. Even though it took longer it was cheaper gas wise.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to commute on I-95 everyday and see tons of ontario and quebec plates. You're not alone in that plan. I see as many as when I lived closer in New Hampshire.
hrwagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a two week trip to Newfoundland....Nova Scotia is great, but Newfoundland is not to be missed if you're up that way....

dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiningstar76 wrote:
What are you paying per liter these days?

Today in Halifax the price of regular (91) is $1.26. The higher octanes are generally about 4 cents per litre extra.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping/Nova Scotia Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
I plan to hit the Halifax vw club meet on thursday.

That's great - I'll see you there and I look forward to meeting you.

As for the ferry trip - I would recommend taking it one way, either coming or going, and drive around via Moncton and Amherst the other time.

From Amherst, I'd recommend heading over to Joggins (world famous fossil cliffs) and taking route 209 to Advocate Harbour, then across to Parsboro, then Truro, and into Halifax. Its a very nice trip, with decent roads. However, you may not have enough time.

Lots of nice provincial parks, but my favourite type of camping is to take off down any one of a multitude of logging roads that are everywhere here to find your own private lake, river, or stream, but that is probably not practical for a visitor, and you'd need the Nova Scotia atlas to get around knowledgeably.

Check out some of my gallery pics for shots of NS wilderness.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring extra tie downs FOR EVERYTHING last time we camped in NS we nearly got blown into the ocean;but otherwise it was a beautiful trip.My dad was born in halifax
wyomingriviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring beer. Like gas, it's way more $$ in Canada. Stock up on these cans in Maine: http://www.baxterbrewing.com/.

Good luck on your adventure!
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good advice on the beer.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**update 8/26**

OK, well Irene is putting a damper on things. So here is the plan so far. I am also expecting a very important phone call next week, so i do not know if I want to venture into Canada. Rates are kind of expensive on the cell phone. but, here's the plan so far:

Tuesday, leave Mass. Stop in Freeport ME, go to LLBean, continue east.

Wednesday, hopefully be in NB somewhere, continuing to Halifax, should make it there by the end of the day.

Thursday, hop around Halifax all day, go to the vw gathering thursday night. Starting heading west thursday night.

Friday, continue driving through ME, making stops.

Saturday, return home.

However, this phone call that I am expecting, is very important, so I may not venture into canada. I need constant cell phone service. If I stick around in Maine, I will. I may kick myself in the butt, however I may just stay close to the maine coast.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: