Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Syncro Engine Drop
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllRad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: 1991 Syncro Engine Drop Reply with quote

Hello Samba,

The time has come for me to step things up. I picked up a used 2.1 WBX off Craigslist with the plan to swap it in for my 2.2, which needs new cylinder heads. My hope is that the replacement will work well enough to buy me time to install the new cylinder heads, a new Mansi oil pump and Mansi injectors. I haven't decided yet, but maybe Mansi 1:35 rockers. I'm too cheap to go full EFI (maybe later).

Up to this point my wrenching challenges have included engine and transmission oil changes, thermostat replacement and the odd cleaning/replacement of other simple items. So, I'm paddling into surf that's way heavier than I have a right to -- but how better to learn?

I will surely post some stupid questions. Patience for the ignorant please.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the 2.2 prior to removal
--- --- ---

Here it is in my garage
--- --- ---

The engine suspension gantry I made to hold & lower the engine onto a Harbor Freight moving cart. I used a block and tackle and some of that amazing synthetic rope to suspend the thing. My hands were full; so, no action photos.
--- --- ---

The engine is out
--- --- ---

Is it just me, or is the inside of the bell housing a little gunkier than it should be? Is this an indication that the main seal is less than perfect?
--- --- ---

I really had to wrestle with the engine to get it separated from the transmission, which I loosened and lowered using a floor jack. The studs were binding in spite of trying several different angles on both the transmission and engine, for which I could alter the height using the block and tackle. Anyways, the right stud-hole shows some signs of wear. I think its superficial, but opinions would be welcome.
--- --- ---

That's all for now. Next up. Install the new to me 2.1 WBX. If everything goes to plan, it will be very interesting to see how they compare.

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro Engine Drop Reply with quote

Careful to not get your leash entangled on the boat anchor while duck diving!

I would replace the input shaft seal preventively.
Looks like your pilot bearing in the crank was shot too!
Make sure you have one in it if your donor came from an automatic van. You should replace it anyway even on the donor/
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro Engine Drop Reply with quote

Well for a first time pulling an engine it looks like you did just fine. Sometimes it does take a little wrastlin to separate an engine and trans. Good job. Nice picking gantry. I wish my my engine bay was as clean as yours, I live on a gravel road.
AllRad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro Engine Drop Reply with quote

The plan is to swap in the spare 2.1 WBX that's sitting in the garage, then add some improvements to the 2.2 (which I just removed -- it has the orange plenum), then swap the orange monster back into the van as the "permanent" solution.

I need to bring some parts from the 2.2 over to the 2.1, like the clutch. However, I was having some issues with grinding when shifting into 2nd -- when cold.

I also experienced some clutch chattering -- only when hot, like after a 30+ mile trip. The longer the trip, the more the chatter, when starting from a dead stop. Neither of these issues seemed like show stoppers, but worrisome.

I was hoping that the old clutch would work "good enough" as part of the temporary 2.1 patch. I would get a new clutch kit for the 2.2 when the time comes to swap it back into the van.

Can someone help me, because i don't know what I'm looking at. Does this clutch look like it's toast?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro Engine Drop Reply with quote

I see a recent clutch in your pics.
Can still see the machining marks on the flywheel.
Are all "the fingers" on the pressure-plate at similar height?

It looks like it was assembled without grease on the pilot bearing, which could cause some of your shifting problems.

I'd polish the end of the mainshaft with some 800-grit paper
And replace (and grease) that needle pilot bearing.
Not too much grease!
You don't want it throwing grease out onto the clutch.
There are ideal greases for the needle bearing but I don't know what they are.
A "disc brake" wheel bearing grease that doesn't get runny when hot might be the best type.
Maybe someone else can guide you better.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro Engine Drop Reply with quote

Sodo,

I’m in the same process now, was wondering if brake caliper grease would be a good option for the pilot bearing and the input shaft splines.

Thanks

Mathieu
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro Engine Drop Reply with quote

It's been 25 years since I've had a needle-pilot-bearing.... so I've forgotten.
Yes caliper-pin grease sounds better.
But don't ask me Exclamation
Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: