Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 meyers manx barn find... buried for 26 years!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Very cool find !

Got any pics of the front ?

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: 1969 meyers manx barn find Reply with quote

Well after a long pause, I'm back with some updated photos. I've got the Manx on the road and drove it down to Transporterfest in Boston, Ma. first time I've driven it on the highway.......well having trouble uploading pics tonight, try again tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi roscoe,

Very very very very nice and important find.

for a classic car to be buried for such a long time is "contamination free" guarantee.

your car is beautiful and period correct. just a moving museum.

Typical one to preserve and respect.

not to offend anyone, i hope not to see it next week with complete rollcage, 2 litres engine, autometers and bfgs.....

in my opinion this car is the holy graal.

I would suggest you to leave it alone as it is, cause it' perfect period correct car...

just throw away mud flaps and bumpers. repaint what needed, polish the body.

conventional tires are wonderful

is it based on an oval pan?
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... Actually it's built on a '58 pan so one year shy. When the previous owner built it between '69 and '70 the junkyards were still full of early cars around here, so he took bumper blades off a 30's car and used those. He also used black o.g. paint oval beetle turn signals. Aside from the later taillights the rest was all from a '58 beetle. Still has the non-synch 1st. gear tranny. He ran it with the '58 36hp engine till it got tired. Then he purchased a remanufactured 40hp from Volkswagen. It runs perfect, doesn't leak a single drop of oil! There must not be any miles on the engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img][b]

Last edited by Roscoe on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:47 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any suggestions for tire size... I think it will look better with 15" in back but width's for front and back? I'd like to keep it the true nostalgic buggy it is, bias ply and all. I would like to get away from chevy wheels with the old aluminum fin adapters( though they look neat). I'm torn on what wheels to use stock vw, cragars, slot-mags etc...I think I'm leaning towards stock vw, widened on the rears. I did try some cragars though the size was not what I'd choose. Any constructive criticism?

First pic is how the buggy was built stock chevy wheels with smooth caps, someone let me borrow cragars for second pic. Centelines look ballzy and what about chromed porsche 356 stlye with no hubcaps?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my constructive criticism.

A buggy is light weight. Wheels are unsprung weight. The lighter the unsprung weight is on any vehicle is, the better it is at handeling the road. Widened steel wheels are heavy. Going aluminum reduces the unsprung weight and will make the light buggy ride better.

I am going to run either original aluminum Centerlines or aluminum Slotted rims on my current buggy build.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... Interesting point, I guess I either need to choose form over function or vice versa. Pretty much everything from back in the day looks sweet.
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, joe. your idea of light wheels is near to technical perfection.

but here we are not doing a racing car. in my opinion look and story are more important here.

centerline wheels are not completely correct on an old manx.

roscoe, if you put cragars or american racing wheels here ( they are wonderful an we know) you do simply "another one"

real bravery in this case, is to resist alloys and mags to keep these wonderful vintage black wheels.

they are a real period correct choice and make the car look even more aggressive and "true". more than with chrome one.

the idea is the old nascar wheel.

no hubcaps. black. built to go, not to show.

even tyre size are wonderfullly proportioned and perfect. 14 inches is a real vintage choiche too.

you can find your bias on cocker tires
Tony Marconi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize it is none of our business, so feel free to tell me to pound sand. But IF you don't mind telling us, how much did you pay for that beauty?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some old school aluminum slots with good tires if you are interested.

Here they are on the Camaro they came off of:

They are in good shape. Some polishing will make them look fantastic. You would need either adapters or re-drilled drums though.

I am in Western Mass.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but here we are not doing a racing car.

While true, the wheel's weight does effect the ride and handeling. My stock '73 Thing had steel wheels on it and I changed to aluminum rims and could tell the difference in ride quality, it rides smoother and handels bumps in curves better. My Thing is far from a race car with its original 1600 and stock suspension, but it has a much heavier body than a buggy and wheel weight has less effect as the overall weight increases.

He was looking for constructive comments and mine were based purely on function. I too like the old school look better with the steelies and moon caps. The only change I would make is a narrower wheel and tire on the front, but keep the steel/moon look.

My choice for my buggy is based on I already have the Centerlines and the slot rims. Both with VW lug patterns and no adapters.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I have some old school aluminum slots with good tires if you are interested.

Here they are on the Camaro they came off of:

They are in good shape. Some polishing will make them look fantastic. You would need either adapters or re-drilled drums though.

I am in Western Mass.

Dammit man. Been looking for a decent set of those for some time. As it happens, I'm about to get on a plane for home. Been in Boston for the past 10 days. Wish I'd had time to do some parts shopping while up here.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the stock smoothies, but I was thinking bigger like 15" in the back slightly wider or the same, and keep the 14" in the front, but maybe narrower maybe not. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for widened 15" vw rims for the back. 8" wide? Is that a good width? Here is a pic of the original sigla glass windshield.
[/img]
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown--- those slots rims look nice, on the fence about what rims to use but have been leaning towards stock rims. As of now it's on the chevy 14" rims w/ adapters that the car was built with. I hate to buy new tires as these originals are in great shape with no dry rot.
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roscoe any chance you could hit enter before and after each photo you post? That way the photos line up vertically. Otherwise looking good.
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Marconi wrote:
I realize it is none of our business, so feel free to tell me to pound sand. But IF you don't mind telling us, how much did you pay for that beauty?
I discovered this manx 15 or more years ago and just kind of tossed the idea around of buying it. At the time the owner would have sold it to me, but his wife didn't really want to sell it for what I had offered. So fast forward 15+years this past March and I decided to either shit or get off the pot, so I bought it. Lets just say it was a smoking deal. The original owners are very nice people, and I'm fortunate that they sold it to me! I'm not the bragging type, but I gotta say that I asked if they had any other parts or tools etc., and the owner handed me a box of old hazet tools like a crank, sparkplug wrench, axle nut wrench etc... and a bunch of older engine parts including a sweet brand new set of pink german sparkplugs! I know I didn't exactly answer your question.

Last edited by Roscoe on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTBRADLEY wrote:
Hey Roscoe any chance you could hit enter before and after each photo you post? That way the photos line up vertically. Otherwise looking good.
GTBRADDLEY...Thanks so much! That was driving me nuts, I didn't know how to fix this issue.
Tony Marconi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
Lets just say it was a smoking deal.

Roscoe wrote:
I know I didn't exactly answer your question.

Yes you did.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
what about chromed porsche 356 stlye with no hubcaps?

My favorite steel rims!

Custom Commercial Wheel could weld 66-67 slotted centers in 5.5x14 fronts and 8x15 rears, very reasonably with top quality. Chromed would look best but metallic silver powder coat would look great too and cost less. The 5.5 X 14 rim has the right look for the front of the Manx and is also not so wide so that the handlig is still light and nimble.

With open center wheels, I also like to use the drums that have the 5 spoke look, like 66-67 front and type 3 rears.

bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Quote:
but here we are not doing a racing car.

While true, the wheel's weight does effect the ride and handeling. My stock '73 Thing had steel wheels on it and I changed to aluminum rims and could tell the difference in ride quality, it rides smoother and handels bumps in curves better. My Thing is far from a race car with its original 1600 and stock suspension, but it has a much heavier body than a buggy and wheel weight has less effect as the overall weight increases.

He was looking for constructive comments and mine were based purely on function. I too like the old school look better with the steelies and moon caps. The only change I would make is a narrower wheel and tire on the front, but keep the steel/moon look.

My choice for my buggy is based on I already have the Centerlines and the slot rims. Both with VW lug patterns and no adapters.

what i have to say?

surely you are technically right and even better.

i can answer that i am firmly glued on a vintage period nostalgia vision of things.

i love ceterlines. especially the ones not polished with bolts.

though i consider centerlines like a full seventies item.

i would put them for sure on a baja bug, or on a funco ss.

but i consider this manx one of the last true sixties taste unmolested cars

on this car i would use something typical of the end of sixties.

i am in love of stock vw smoothies, widened and no hubcap, cause they are very common at the age and they just look aggressive an minimal.

i am not in love with 356 wheels cause i find them too common and "off the shelf look"

i prefer the look of the smoothies with no air windows. more clean to see and homemade taste.

as aluminum wheels i would consider ansen, gragar, torque thrust, halibrand.

but all of them, in my opinion are too much shiny for the genuine look of this car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: