Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Engine Builder Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BabyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: 2276 stoker new build need help Reply with quote

Hey guys built my first engine made a few mistakes that I'm kicking myself over but here's what I built for a first engine and it's a woods buggy/climber.. 82mm counterbalanced cranks type 2 vw rods straight cut cam gears engle 120
Cam double cam bearings chromoly push rods 1.25 rockers cb044 heads 52cc chambers compression set at 10.5.1 mahle 94s also using dual 44s for carbs.. Now that that's said according to my readings I've heard several people say a vw rods can handle rougly 7000rpm safely but according to my cam it's power range is 2-6000 Rpms the motors new and I have a heavy foot so should I set my rev limiter at 6000? And is there anywhere that sells a rotor button for that amount of Rpms or am I gonna have to buy a patronix rev box or something of the nature.. If I like the motor I may end up tearing it back apart if it doesn't fly apart first this coming winter and put h beam rods and a diff cam in it please shoot me some opinions!
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: rpm limiting rotor Reply with quote

Yes, you can get distributor rotors that limit rpm. CIP1.com has the 6500 and 5400 listed

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5830

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOS-1-234-332-144

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
BabyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply been waiting on someone all day lol.. I have the 009 dizzy already so u think it's safe to set the rev limit at 6400? The engle cam power is 2-6k and keep in mind I got stock vw rods just don't wanna blow a new motor and thank u for showing me the site it said the rotor button is only like 12$ for a 6400 limit if I read that correctly? Again thanks man I've been in the garage all day fine tuning it and get it all lined out all I gotta finish is bleeding the breaks and installing a rev limiter I'm stoked!!!
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BabyJ wrote:
Thanks for the reply been waiting on someone all day lol.. I have the 009 dizzy already so u think it's safe to set the rev limit at 6400? The engle cam power is 2-6k and keep in mind I got stock vw rods just don't wanna blow a new motor and thank u for showing me the site it said the rotor button is only like 12$ for a 6400 limit if I read that correctly? Again thanks man I've been in the garage all day fine tuning it and get it all lined out all I gotta finish is bleeding the breaks and installing a rev limiter I'm stoked!!!

available in increments from 4500 thru 7100.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bosch-RPM-Limiting-Rotor-1971-SVDA-and-009s-p/rev-limiting-rotor.htm

for you i'd go a tad on the safety side and get the 5800 rpm limiter rotor.
BabyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks and why so low on Rpms? Is it cause of the vw rods? I really want to hit my cams power from beginning to end. The type 2s can't handle anymore than that safety? If not there coming back out asap :/
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

Any reputable engine builders in the Washington DC / East Coast area?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

prkid424 wrote:

I know of a couple that do it, but I'm not sure of their reputations. Joe from EVWPARTS in Severna, MD does rebuilds and recently align bored two cases for members of the Air-Cooled Hooligans in Ft. Belvoir, VA. What I heard is that the work was good, but he mistakenly drilled one of the cases for full-flow, which my friend had not requested. He insisted on charging for the work as well, and i'm uncertain about how quickly he turned the work around. I've been to his shop and seen engines in stages of rebuild, but I only went looking for parts.

Buggy-Man in Lorton might be able to help as well.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMCCARTHY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

There are multiple really good builders here on the East coast , here are the 2 best . Dave Kawell http://kawellracing.com/ , one of the best in the country . Vic Dawson @ Kieths Auto Parts, 800 RACEAVW phone .Vic does all the machining inhouse and has done wonderful work for me on every job. Both of these builders I highly recommend . Mike McCarthy
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

MMCCARTHY wrote:
There are multiple really good builders here on the East coast , here are the 2 best . Dave Kawell http://kawellracing.com/ , one of the best in the country . Vic Dawson @ Kieths Auto Parts, 800 RACEAVW phone .Vic does all the machining inhouse and has done wonderful work for me on every job. Both of these builders I highly recommend . Mike McCarthy

Both of those are really far from the metro DC area - Keiths is 350+ miles, TN is probably more.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMCCARTHY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

LOL , well I guess it depends on your priorities . I drive from Raleigh to Tenn just to have Dave dyno my engines nowadays, best/ cheapest investment I made on my car. Did I mention my engine has 400 HP that I drive on the street, LOL

This is my engine I built with Daves help in my old race car (red one ) and it is exactly the same as it was except I changed the 4 barrel to a 48 side draft Dellorto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZrEFElU24

Mike McCarthy
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

MMCCARTHY wrote:
LOL , well I guess it depends on your priorities . I drive from Raleigh to Tenn just to have Dave dyno my engines nowadays, best/ cheapest investment I made on my car. Did I mention my engine has 400 HP that I drive on the street, LOL

This is my engine I built with Daves help in my old race car (red one ) and it is exactly the same as it was except I changed the 4 barrel to a 48 side draft Dellorto.

Mike McCarthy

Dang - well, if the poster is looking to build racers and has the time and resources to go hundreds of miles for it - more power to him!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
MMCCARTHY wrote:

Mike McCarthy

Dang - well, if the poster is looking to build racers and has the time and resources to go hundreds of miles for it - more power to him!!

Wish I was building race engines. This is for a 40hp going in a buggy. Want to do a big bore and full flow with an better cam, heads and 1.1 rockers. Case may need some machining. I have been to buggy man quite a bit but for parts. Didn't know he could do any machine work.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

prkid424 wrote:
vamram wrote:
MMCCARTHY wrote:

Mike McCarthy

Wish I was building race engines. This is for a 40hp going in a buggy. Want to do a big bore and full flow with an better cam, heads and 1.1 rockers. Case may need some machining. I have been to buggy man quite a bit but for parts. Didn't know he could do any machine work.

I'm not sure he does anymore, I think he sends it out.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
MMCCARTHY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

From my perspective the difference between a race engine and a street engine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nothing. I spend the same time to build every engine because I want to build the best engine that I am capable of doing. If you have the tools and ability I would always recommend you build your own engines , heck that is the fun part of the hobby . Mike McCarthy
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

prkid424 wrote:

We went to Russell Kessler in Falls Church to rebuild the engine for our Ghia. He's normally a Porsche engine builder, but has raced Type-1 VW engines and knows his way around them… Night & day difference between what we brought to him (what came with car when we bought it: over-cammed & over-carb'ed, badly running 1776), and what we got back (smooth, well balanced & "torquey" 1968).

A one-man shop. So you may have to deal with interruptions on an extended job, and he might be difficult to schedule during local race season…

He sent the case out for machining, but did the other work himself. He also applied his normal standards to the parts he used; I think he returned as many parts as he installed. (General distress about quality of VW parts these-days…)

So probably not the cheapest option. But the engine runs beautifully.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

Anybody know anyone that sells good rebuilt engines in Chicago/Chicagoland area?
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

I was just going to ask the same thing. I live south of Chicago.
Jeff
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

JiI wrote:
I was just going to ask the same thing. I live south of Chicago.
Jeff

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1835313

I heard about this guy and gave him a call. He really knows what he's doing and has pretty good prices. I'm getting a longblock from him. Good guy too
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes. He's about 90 minutes from me and I have several engines that need help!
Jeff
COLTSS45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

How about Naples FL?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: