Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The "One"
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: The "One" Reply with quote

I just turned 16. I have picked up dog crap, mowed lawns, liquidated my room, and much more to finally bring my cash pile to 4,000 bucks. How do I know when this bug is the "one"? should i put it all out on one bug. then continue my jobs to keep up with it. (Note that my parents will pay for gas and insurance) Or buy a project and go from there? My dad has had a 71 and a 72 and my uncle knows a lot about bugs so he too will help me. I am looking for a bug around 63- 66. Thanks

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerekR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in your shoes I would try and find something in the $2k-2500 range. You should be able to find a nice reliable solid driver for that (read this http://www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm) . Cash talks right now, work on your negotiation skills. Then you will still have some cash to make the car "yours" It is all the personalizing touches we do that give these cars a personality that we fall in love with.
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4k should get you a nice ride. I would get a 62-65 something with a 40 horse motor or a 1600. Thay are good motors. Try to get something stock looking. Look for any signs of previous accidents. Check the heater channels for rust. Try to get the straightest car possible and don't just buy the first car you see. Look around. And don't cut the dash for a stupid cd player!!!

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gottria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you excited, first call and all. But don't buy the first one you see!!! You will know it's right when you sit in it and drive it.
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at a 63. A 66. A 62 and a 64. All were about 2800 bucks. Not anyone of them were very good. Will i fall in love with the correct one when i see it?

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,or in 3 to five years you'll be paying child support and living in a van..oh wait we are talkin about cars...yes,you'll know a good deal,mainly based on what you didnt buy...keep looking, you worked too hard for the money to buy the wrong car
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for a bug to impress your peers? Does it need to be shiny? I just picked up a super clean original 63, and currently have a 60. Both cars are running their original paint jobs, neither of them is a solid "pretty" color. Neither car has ever been hit front or rear. They both have surface rust and original primer from where the original paint was rubbed off. I very specifically hunted for cars in this condition because I could see EVERYTHING that was going on. They have no secrets. I am happy to roll them like they are, with a new stance and some cool wheels, and maybe a little more HP. I see the cars as having great potential, and personally think that original patina is beautiful in its own way. Not everyone thinks that though(girls, parents, friends...) so know what you want, find it, check it out, drive it(if possible) and then buy it. Its always gonna hurt a couple days after the purchase, cuz you'll be broke for a while, but its just money. More will come. Good luck!
Ubetcha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say get the best you can for as little as you can and go from there with the money left over.
firecracker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll know when you find the right one for you. I looked around for about 3 months and looked at several bugs but I found red flags with all of them. Right now cash talks. When I found my 60 I knew I wanted it but I didn't want to pay the 3800 bucks he was asking. I ended up getting the car and some parts for 2300. I've sold around 400 dollars worth of parts. Just looks around and buy a good soild car and try to keep some extra money to do some work on it to make it your own
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projects can be expensive, time consuming and are usually bigger then expected.

Unless you have the time, skill, tools, materials, dedication and bank roll to complete a project, you should look for something better.

They ALL need work. And there will always be changes and modifications you want to make to "your" car.

So get your money together and go buy the nicest one you can afford.
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this one in Kent? $2200
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1182424

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(just noticed it doesn't have a complete engine, but a car in good condition is harder to find than an engine.)
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, decide what your final goal is with the car. Do you want it lowered, narrowed beam, what kind of interior, wheels etc. I would recommend that you buy as much of that completed as possible. Your dollar will go farther than buying a car that you have to do all that to.

Creating your car is rewarding as well as doing the work yourself, but buying some of that can save you in the long run.

You can always sell the wheels on it and buy something else, but the core is what you want.
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good bugs are totally out there, in your price range. I would do what others are saying and get one that is closer to $2500. That will get you something good enough. Also, I second the Doc. EVERY VINTAGE VW NEEDS MONEY AND TIME THROWN AT IT- its just the way they are. Every single repair ALWAYS costs more than expected. Repairs cost money. Money is time. Do you have both? I was 18 when I bought my first bug, and I thought is was "the one." It turned out to be a basket case, far from a good deal. Biggest POS lemon that needed something huge every week! $1500 bug turned into $4500 quick- then I wrecked it on the 101 and lost it all. I would get one for $2000, and drive it for a while before you waste any money at other parts, such as cosmetic BS (like what Chip said). Brakes are more important than fancy wheels, solid body more than fancy paint, well built functioning engine better than crap that doesnt work right to begin with. Look at things like handling and performance, metal and condition of parts. Whatever is wrong will eventually need fixing. Look at the engine and test it to see its condition. Dont buy a car thats been neglected and abused.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sxuxrxf wrote:
How's this one in Kent? $2200
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1182424

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(just noticed it doesn't have a complete engine, but a car in good condition is harder to find than an engine.)

get on that boy,like a chicken on a junebug..just what your lookin for..
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ Whats funny is that i called the guy who was gonna sell it and just buy a new engine. i was planning on offering him 1500. but some idiot offered him 2300 for the long block and car!!!!!!!!! i had it all planned out to go look at it. that og interior is to die for

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ Whats funny is that i called the guy who was gonna sell it and just buy a new engine. i was planning on offering him 1500. but some idiot offered him 2300 for the long block and car!!!!!!!!! i had it all planned out to go look at it. that og interior is to die for

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this look good?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/2577446221.html

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webberjames95 wrote:

A piece of advice... I wouldnt lowball a car like that if its as good as it looks...pay the man his price if its worth it.

I definately look at the second car you listed as well...
firecracker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webberjames95 wrote:
does this look good?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/2577446221.html

I would go look at it. If it's as good as it looks then that would be a good buy. But it's hard to tell without any more info on it.
pdivizzle0112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember, the good looking ones are usually hiding something....unless theyre full resto's
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: