Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BerneseMtnDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

I just cut the seal with a razor knife and pull them out.

Steve
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

X2 on the razor knife and pull them out method.

1978 Type 2 Transporter. 2L engine (engine code GE), Fuel Injection, 4-speed manual transmission.His name is Buddy.

"I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

surf_erk wrote:
Quick question, trying to replace the seals myself. How do you take out the window?
Thanks guys!

Cut the old seal or with good even pressure you can kick the window out from the inside if a helper is there to catch it.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

I just booted mine out. King Kong couldn't break em.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
There was just a thread on the vent window rubber, don't have link, but search should get it. Definitley get the large window in before putting in the vent frame.

dirtkeeper wrote:
woooahh! really? not sure what your talking about but if it is the stock wing windows on the rear windows they have to go in first. unless i am totally missing something.

babysnakes wrote:
^^^^^^ Yep! Vent first then big glass.

Think The frame on my right side middle quarter window started to rot out. In my stash I have some good frames, so I have prepped one ready for swapping in, and a new quarter window seal part number 221847673A arrived today.

At the weekend, I took out the quarter window frame, it came out easy enough after gently prying up the two small tabs on the curved side as per Bentley.

Reading the above conflicting advice, can I leave the 3/4 window in position? I'd rather not take it out! The 3/4 seal and glass are perfect and I don't want to mess with them. Can I get the quarter window back in without taking out the middle 3/4 window, or am I in for a struggle?

Thanks.

EDIT

OK, sorted it out for myself. A really helpful post I found was from Colin Amskeptic here written way back in 2003:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53908&start=0

I put the 1/4 window back with the 3/4 window still in place. Putting the window back in was relatively easy, and didn't take long at all.

When preparing, putting the new seal on the vent window frame basically requires patience, it must be quite a complex mould when they make these. I put the seal on the opening quarter frame dry, no lubricant on the main part of the seal. I used some non aggressive glass cleaner (Autoglym Fast-Glass) to help with getting the flat straight part of the seal into the upright piece of the frame that rivets to the main frame, and used a blunt plastic trim tool to help push it into the grooves. I found that upright rubber the hardest (or more to the pit tedious) part to do.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone have a trick on getting the deluxe trim on the seal? Working on the back hatch.
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

having the same issue... I tried the search feature and this was all I could find, promise! wondering if there is a how-to thread for seals with deluxe trim

Vova wrote:
Anyone have a trick on getting the deluxe trim on the seal? Working on the back hatch.

71 Deluxe Bay
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

Col_Forbin wrote:
having the same issue... I tried the search feature and this was all I could find, promise! wondering if there is a how-to thread for seals with deluxe trim

Vova wrote:

I got it to work. Ended up using silicon spray to seat the trim that worked wonders.
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for the info and quick reply vova!
71 Deluxe Bay
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

Vova wrote:

Install the gasket on the glass, insert the trim into the gasket, THEN install the window into the vehicle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

Col_Forbin wrote:
awesome, thanks for the info and quick reply vova!

Also do the whole job in the sun. Keeps the gasket soft.
Keep at the trim it'll go in...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Side Window Rear Seal 211 845 341 Reply with quote

Side Window Rear Seal 211 845 341

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:
Looks great! My windshield seal from Bus Depot was a great fit. How is the fitnon that side window?

Heres the link for the seal, it states that it is genuine VW, perhaps Brazilian. Seal was uniform and clean, nice and thick. If it weren’t for my diligence and previous years of auto glass work, it may deter a lad or two, but it is consistent throughout the window, fits the corners nicely, curvature is crisp. Well worth the $30.
http://www.busdepot.com/211845341
Part# 211845341

Note that when doing automotive glass work, more particularly rope in applications, to have a helper on the outside, to apply consistent pressure when needed and to “slap a da bass” when necessary. Always slap with the whole palm, never just the wrist or the end of the hand towards the fingers. Slap the glass in its solid stages, never along the edges, and before you know it, you sir have reinstalled original VW glass.

I definitely gained a horsepower eliminating the drag that hole in the seal was creating...
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

If your seals are junk just cut them out with razor knife.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

I did all but windshield today. This task had terrified me, dunno what i expected to go wrong, but now that I’ve done it, I wouldn’t hesitate to tackle it again. I didn’t have a Bic pen so I used a metal drinking straw (yes, we are one of “those” people, after seeing someone get impaled with a metal one, we’ve switched to silicone), Rain-x window cleaner, a couple of HF suction cups, and a length of dollar store “paracord.” I used WCM’s seals, got the non-deluxe, whole bus kit. I know a few have not been impressed with their seals in the past. I’ve got nothing to compare with except the OEM, dried to damn rocks seals but they worked well for me. Interesting hat both they and Just Kampers use the same seals for the middle and back side windows. I wasn’t sure how this would go since they are obviously different shapes and don’t look the same size (they aren’t). It works. The middle sliders seals are a touch loose, the rears a touch tight. Once in he bus, doesn’t matter.

I did this job solo, took me about two hours to do 5 windows, the first one took me longest as I wasn’t confident on what I was doing. Just like people say, wrap the cord around twice, press the windows in the hole, push around the edge to get in good and snug in the frame, use the cord to peel the lip over the pinch weld, window cleaner a couple of times to make it slide easier. I used the suction cups on the inside to keep pressure on the window as I worked around, then again on the top and bottom after the seal in place, quick tug to suck them in. Didn’t need to hit the outside at all with this method.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

is that Elvira? looks great!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
heynanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Windshield, Windows, Window seals, Glass FAQ Reply with quote

I had help on both a bay window windshield and a Vanagon windshield from an old school VW enthusiast.

If the sun isn’t cooperating, he put the rubber seal in a pillow case and threw it in the dryer on heat. It’s noisy, but we got the glass in without a problem!
1984 Westfailia Vanagon EJ22 “ Guinness”
2006 Dodge Sprinter (long/tall)
2006 Winnebago View (in case the buses aren’t cooperating)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: