Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru conversion temperature gauge reading
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:
Is anyone using the stock 86+ vanagon sender for the dash?

I am on both of my conversions, EJ22('94)and EJ22('92)/EJ25('99) hybrid. My guage reads under the LED just like my stock van. I got my sender from VC.
Burley's reversed manifold has a plate welded into it that is threaded for the stock VW sender.
elic_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion temperature gauge reading Reply with quote

Anybody have any tips as to where to wire in a resistor for my temp gauge? 84 westy with stock vw tank sensor and stock subaru tempurature gauge.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion temperature gauge reading Reply with quote

Anywhere in the wire going to the temp gauge.At the junction between the Subaru harness and the VW wire to the gauge or before the 14pin connector to the foil would be easiest I think. For some insane reason I found the wire behind the fuse box and wired it in there.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion temperature gauge reading Reply with quote

Hi,

Can you give me a hand here. I would like to add a VW sender to the coolant manifold and get rid of the resistor.
But what sender to get? It has to be obviously the srew type (M10x1?)
049 919 501 seems to be possible.

Or any recomendation?

Thank you
Viktor
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion temperature gauge reading Reply with quote

049 919 501 is the stock coolant temperature sender for a Syncro Vanagon. 10x1.0 that screws into the alloy thermostat housing. Obviously compatible with the T3 coolant temp gauge.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion temperature gauge reading Reply with quote

Thank you. Will give it a try Very Happy

Why with the subaru sender you need to make the gauge resister mod? I read it somewhere in the past, but now - no chance.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion temperature gauge reading Reply with quote

vik wrote:
Thank you. Will give it a try Very Happy

Why with the subaru sender you need to make the gauge resister mod? I read it somewhere in the past, but now - no chance.

It reads too high without the resistor. 23-30hm resistor makes it read around the LED light at operating temp.

This is the sender I got from Smallcar to use with the VW gauge but I never istalled it and use the Subaru sender with resistor and an aftermarket VDO gauge with sender inline as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion temperature gauge reading Reply with quote

I expressed my question not the correct way.
I know, that the gauge reads hot when using the Subaru sender unless the resistor is used.
But I wondered why? Subaru sender resistance, voltages?
thx
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion temperature gauge reading Reply with quote

vik wrote:
I expressed my question not the correct way.
I know, that the gauge reads hot when using the Subaru sender unless the resistor is used.
But I wondered why? Subaru sender resistance, voltages?
thx
Yes, Subaru sender resistance is different.

Super simple to install the VW sender and be confident of the readings on the gauge: they are very important!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: