Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 Westy Stalls When Warmed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

I have a 70 bus DP 1600, 34Pict-3 with 1-273 on the flange, plus an 034 single vac distributor that starts easily and runs until the choke is fully warmed, then stalls without fail. The idle cutoff solenoid tests positive with its clicking sound when ignition is on. An old friend said its bad gas but I'm skeptical since it has a full fresh tank anyway. Are there suggestions for me to consider so I can get past warmup, then later look at improved performance by swapping components?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

Put a vacuum gauge on it and check for leaks.

That red cap doesn’t look too “ sealed up”

Your 34-pict 3 was designed To run with a dvDA distributor, you can’t just throw what ever fits in there
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

To get beyond the "bad gas" theory, you could rig up a gravity fuel delivery with fresh gas.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

If it is a daily driver or been running ok , solar flares are more likely a cause than bad gas.

It’s a fools diagnosis on a running car
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

Once it's warmed does the idle improve if you manually close the choke plate slowly?, or get worse?, or is there a spot where it gets better and then falls off?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check your boots
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

How cold is your intake manifold when this happens? It should be very warm after a couple of minutes of running.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

At 10 o/c to the red vacuum cap there is a large 1cm plug in the back of the carb. Those are notorious for loosening up on the 34 PICT3, and will cause running problems like you described.

Sniff and see if it smells like gas at all. If. So, it needs to be removed, sealed, and peened.
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

This bus wasn't a daily driver but it does have a tank with 80% or more fresh gas. Both the red and black plugs to the rear of the carb are super tight. Once it is warmed the engine cuts out really fast. Anticipating that I returned the choke cam as it was quickly dying, once it passed the past tooth on the cam. Doing that prevented stalling.The spot where it falls off is immediately after that last tooth - fully warmed choke. Right before the last tooth it is running fine. While it was idling i sprayed carb cleaner at the boots and the base of the carb, no changes.

The intake manifold is not warm. Between the boots and the upright to the carb the manifold is cool; at the upright below the carb it is typically chilly. The 1cm plug had gas on it, but I also just sprayed it with carb cleaner. It is snug tight in there.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

best to set your idle mixture and try again. Cup your hands like you were going to strangle the carb. Move your hands in slowly towards the top of the carb from about 1' away. As you get closer does the RPM go up or down? If the RPM goes up then the mixture is too lean. If the RPM goes down then the mixture is too rich. When you have it adjusted properly you can get your hands very close to it without the engine changing RPMs.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

Can you please post 3-4 nice shots of all angles of your engine? This could be something as simple as a missing hose. Sure sounds to me like your engine leans out and dies when the choke plate if fully open.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

With the ignition on, if you disconnect the idle fuel cutoff can you hear it click?
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
With the ignition on, if you disconnect the idle fuel cutoff can you hear it click?

Yes, did that yesterday before initiating this post. Going to poke around and find another one like it, or simply remove the known good one on my 65 standard. After the last tooth on the choke cam it drops like a boulder.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

Have you checked the idle jet to make sure it isn't clogged?
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Cleaning it with a carb cleaner dunk wasn't enough. I removed the jet again and redunked for 5 minutes before giving the jet a shot with compressed air. Still didn't seem right so I took my thin, hair thin wires and reamed the tip. I've read one is not supposed to do this but did it anyway. There was some friction when I sank the small wire then the next fatter wire up. Installed jet. Fired up the bus. It wanted to stall at about the second to last cam tooth but I was there to feather it through until the choke spring was open. Held idle for a few minutes. Will let it stew overnight and revisit tomorrow. I'm believing that's progress. I'm certain I have a clean replacement jet around here. Seems like a case of not being thorough enough in the beginning.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

stevo wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Cleaning it with a carb cleaner dunk wasn't enough. I removed the jet again and redunked for 5 minutes before giving the jet a shot with compressed air. Still didn't seem right so I took my thin, hair thin wires and reamed the tip. I've read one is not supposed to do this but did it anyway. There was some friction when I sank the small wire then the next fatter wire up. Installed jet. Fired up the bus. It wanted to stall at about the second to last cam tooth but I was there to feather it through until the choke spring was open. Held idle for a few minutes. Will let it stew overnight and revisit tomorrow. I'm believing that's progress. I'm certain I have a clean replacement jet around here. Seems like a case of not being thorough enough in the beginning.

I use a wooden toothpick on jets to break loose the crud that forms from the ethanol. Maybe this violates some peoples sensitivities but it seems to work.
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

On the intake right below the accelerator barrel nut is not one but two short pipes welded there. I only noticed one this whole time, figuring it was for a vacuum gauge. This morning I noticed the second one behind it shooting up at an angle. Perhaps it is for a brake booster. When I clog the second one (barely seen in the photo above) with a finger the idle increases. The remnants of whatever had clogged it before felt aged and rotted out. It is likely I'm not only looking at one, but two situations causing it to lean out. Earlier suggestion that a hose might be disconnected points right there.
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

2X post

Last edited by stevo on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

Now that it is idling and the carb and distributor adjusted I took the bus for a test drive for over two miles to the post office. Going from neutral to first gear is awfully sluggish. Seems to want an extra abundance of gas. From first to second gear it is about the same. Higher gears, less problems. Power lacks climbing hills, especially in second. Abrupt stops at stop signs and red lights cause stalling.

I put a vacuum gauge on it and found it spikes and holds at 15 during warmed idle. I sprayed carb cleaner at the intakes, DP boots, and carb base including throttle linkage. No changes in rpms. What am I missing?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Westy Stalls When Warmed Reply with quote

I would dump some Techtron or Lucas FI cleaner into the tank and see what effect it has. Might not fix your problem, but it is about the cheapest thing you can try.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: