Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oops I took out the vacuum advance
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Oops I took out the vacuum advance Reply with quote

A fellow at the local meeting pointed out that my vacuum advance unit wasn't connected to the carburator, and that its nipple is broken. When I got home I thought why don't I take it off and inspect it/find out the part number to order a new one. It was simple to remove - just two small screws. So I took it off - had to yank it a bit out of the distibutor. Then I understood what an "oh shi" moment is, as the famous Samba thread is named.

Honestly, I don't know what this part does. To push it back in, I'll have to open the distributor cap. Will that mess up the distributor alignment?

Is the car drivable without the vacuum advance? Or will I cause damage to the engine?

I know, I reek of newbieness, please be gentle. Embarassed

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a saying I made up that's been quoted again and again " a picture is worth a thousand words".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a picture will be helpful.

Also, no, it will not disrupt the timing at all to take off the cap. If you take the dist. out of the engine and move the distributor clamp around, then it will change the timing.

Take the cap off and look inside to see whats going on.

Also, a picture would be very helpful to see for anyone to help...

colin
Scott Gray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to take the cap off.If you have pulled off the vac can without taking the cap off,you very well could have messed something up.The arm that comes out of the can connects to a pin and under a spring on the advance plate.Like so.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are pics of my vacuum advance. The only number is on the shaft and reads "461".

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably going to need another distributor.The guy at the meeting was right about the vacuum hook up . Looks like the tube where you hook up the rubber vacuum line is broke or just not there. Even if you could rig something up , the function may be questionable .Then there's the inside of your distributor.Do you have a picture of that ?Would be easier to get a new one. Or what I would do is get a good used one. Just my 2 cents.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=IGD0007&cartid=
This may work.
Post up some numbers from the carb body.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops I took out the vacuum advance Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:

Honestly, I don't know what this part does. To push it back in, I'll have to open the distributor cap. Will that mess up the distributor alignment?

Is the car drivable without the vacuum advance? Or will I cause damage to the engine?

The part you are referring to is called the vacuum canister. Its uses a vacuum signal to advance the ignition timing when the engine is under a load. It will not harm the engine to run with out advance, but you will not have any power, especially when going up hills.

If it were me I would try repairing it first.

Not only are they hard to find, you would also need to determine which replacement canisters will work with your carb and distributor combination.

If you buy a used distributor there is no guarantee that that the vacuum canister on it is still functional.

Go to your local hobby store and get some 5/32'' brass tubing.
Drill a 5/32'' hole in the remaining plastic piece in your cannister, and glue a short length of tubing inside the hole.

If you decide to try this, post back and I will explain how to test it and set your timing.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the great advice. I decided to follow Luft kühl's advice and repair the nipple with a brass tube. I made the hole just a tad smaller so the brass tube fit strong. I then put some super glue where the meet.

I was able to put it back in the distributor and hooked up the hose. The car started fine and all seems ok. I will still look for a replacement because god only knows if what I have now is working at all.

Attached are pics. Note that the vacuum arm just sits on the pin - there was no circlip or anything to fasten it like the Haynes manual says. I guess it's missing? Let's hope the arm doesn't fly off the pin.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Scott Gray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a spring to hold the arm down.Look at the pic i posted up top.
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your model distributor does not use a spring to hold the arm in place, it has the small clip just as your manual says. Since you removed it with the cap on, the clip is probably laying in the bottom of your distributor somewhere.

To test the canister to see if it works:

Remove the distributor cap.
Remove the vacuum line from the carburetor.

If you suck on the tube the breaker plate should move (advance).
The breaker plate should not return to its original position until suction is removed and air is allowed to enter the tube.

If your car does not have one, you will also need a "shepards crook" or a loop in the vacuum line to prevent fuel from entering the canister and ruining it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246442&highlight=shepards+crook
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, none of the SVDA style distributors had a return spring to hold the vacuum canister. That was only on the 1970/older vacuum-only distributors. SVDAs have their return spring inside the vacuum can.

This is about how it should look with the clip (German 034 example)

Glad I looked at this thread again... Interesting on that 461 vacuum canister with the 043905205K distributor. I've got a big chart of various stock distributors and their vacuum canisters, but I left that distributor off because I have never come across the part number of the vacuum canister for the 043-K before. What the 461 means is that those are the last 3 digits of the Bosch part number... but that doesn't tell me what the rest of it then number was. Assuming it's the correct original vacuum canister, it's got to be 1 237 12__ 461, with the blank being the number I don't know. It doesn't tell me if Bosch ever issued a warehousing "short number" for it either. But still more than I knew!

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott Gray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I thought the 205k had a spring.
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Thank you all for the great advice. I decided to follow Luft kühl's advice and repair the nipple with a brass tube. I made the hole just a tad smaller so the brass tube fit strong. I then put some super glue where the meet.

I was able to put it back in the distributor and hooked up the hose. The car started fine and all seems ok. I will still look for a replacement because god only knows if what I have now is working at all.

You could know, too, if you had a timing light.
Nice work, though.
johnnypan wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Gray wrote:
My bad. I thought the 205k had a spring.

The 113 905 205K does! But the 043 905 205K does not. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For as many times as I've said it I should ad it as a sticky to all my posts:

When discussing distributors it is imperative that the full part number be used. There were over 100 different distributors used by VW throughout air cooled production.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it quite absurd that for a car that was pretty much everywhere a few decades ago, we cannot find suitable vacuum canisters.

Everyone bitches about 009s, but I can see why they get used so often.

I've been battling to find a useable vacuum canister for months now.

Does nobody make the right ones anymore?

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin wrote:
I find it quite absurd that for a car that was pretty much everywhere a few decades ago, we cannot find suitable vacuum canisters.

Everyone bitches about 009s, but I can see why they get used so often.

I've been battling to find a useable vacuum canister for months now.

Does nobody make the right ones anymore?

Did you see the link I posted above?
johnnypan wrote:
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to rebuild my 113 905 205k, how do you know what vacuum advance unit is compatible? your link seems to imply this is for 71 models and up. What's a '67 beetle to do?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the 113905205K/0231137009 (different 009 than the centrifugal)?

113905205K was the vacuum-only 1966-67 distributor used with a 30PICT-1 distributor.

The vacuum canister for the 113-K is the 1237121210 (07 017) which was used on a few different distributors. They do show up on the Classifieds and on eBay from time to time. Like this one:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=784914

These were the distributors that that canister was the same on:

( Now, the SVDA 043905205K pictured in this thread above, that was a Mid 70s/up distributor used on a few non-USA models, which is why I don't have a whole lot of of information about it. I do not know if the vacuum advance canister from the common 043905205/0231170034 fits into it. As I mentioned above, it looks to have a 10 digit part number that ends in 461. The 034's vacuum canister's long number ends in 579. )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: