Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting project, Manfred. Glad to read you are making progress on your VW engine adaption. Probably will need to make engine surround panels so that the heat from the exhaust does not travel up into the engine compartment and reduce the engine cooling efficiency. I'd think that the square-shaped engine bay is ideal for dual carbs.

Although I cannot offer any practical advice, do you know if your 5-bolt wheels have the same bolt pattern as NSU Ro80, Audi 100, Audi 5000? If so, and the offset can work, you might consider going up to 14" wheels and suitable tires so that you don';t have to flare the rear wheel arches, only maybe roll them out slightly. I can't remember if your TT had 13" or 12" wheels originally; I'm thinking 13".

6 years ago a friend offered me to drive his restored NSU 1000TTS to the German car show Deutsche Classic in eastern PA. You can see the car in a few shots (#29, 150, 151) here: http://www.deutscheclassic.com/Deutsche_Classic_2006/data/index.html

The last shot in this index (#151) shows the dual Weber sidedraft carbs on his engine Shocked . As you know, the TTS had close-ratio transmissions geared for hillclimbs, where the car usually was quite a terror. At 65-70mph on the highway the engine was buzzing over 5000rpm.

He pulled a trailer with 2 other of his microcars to the meet. We caravanned together with my office supervisor who trailered his BMW 600 to the meet (#136). A few years ago he sold the TTS; it went back to Germany (!).
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got pretty overrun at Area67 with other projects over the last 6 months ..finally I got a chance to start a mock-up of the type1 IRS transaxle. The rear seat area is going to have to be sacrificed, at least partially to accommodate the transaxle. The good news is that the IRS 1/2 shaft is nearly the same diameter as the NSU shaft which will allow me to keep the NSU constant velocity bearing coupler on the rear wheel. This will eliminate any need for a VW graft on the rear suspension. I am starting to see how these swaps were accomplished. I will post some measurements and bravely start cutting and welding in a front trans mount. I will be using the earlier type1 IRS front trans mount. I don not think the NSU 5 bolt pattern has any other applications.
ONEBADBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel pattern is Porsche 911. I am getting back into my NSU project, we should trade info. I had all the brake parts figured out at one time.
Here's a parts link: http://www.saelzer-motorsport.de/NSU_en.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ONEBADBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another place that has been vouched for.
http://www.nsu-autoteile.de/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
forkzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put a Beetle rearend in a 59, 40 years ago. I was 14 and it was rather crude, but it worked.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the help y'all. I have been fighting flu's and cold weather..great info. I like the 58..fearsome looking!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Ok, this got put on the way back burner since I got so over run with customer cars. I'm taking a break from customers and returning to some long ignored projects. I'm just in my little garage now so its a bit harder to get stuff done. Pictures in a little bit....
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

After much agonizing I decided against a trans graft on the rear of the NSU and just go "full monty" with a pan. I located a 64 pan, did some pan patching,some POR15, rebuilt the brakes, and bolted on these sweet 5 slots (original Appliance Industries). I wanted a Kingpin front end because I have decided on a Rally look, slight lift. 1600 DP power for now.

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

The garage is small, and I'm not sure I can get the body on my stands without hitting the roof??? This is going to be tricky. Poor car had a corner bash from the past

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

You can a picture of the stand (custom built for heater channel repairs), this is gonna be close!!!

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

That's a close fit! like 2 inches from the rafters... now the pan can roll underneath and we can easily observe what needs to go for a good fit. The VW pan edge lines up perfectly with the NSU heater channels (just like a Bug). I have to say the engineering and simplicity of the NSU is amazing, we had the entire front and rear suspension out in 3 hrs w/o air. The rack and pinion steering and cradle is stout and simple. My helper Jason did the brunt of the cutting (nice job ,man!). The floor and rear suspension boss are out, still need to figure out the front modifications and add some bracing so the body does not flex on us. More next week

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

After much agonizing, measuring, pumb-bobbing,postulating, and winging it we have the body on the pan! The entire floor of the NSU had to go as well as the rear sub-frame and a healthy section of the luggage area. However the edges lined up fantastic and the steering will marry up using super beetle parts.

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Plenty of room for the engine, no pan modifications necessary. Lots of custom sheet metal work to be done..

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Had to weld a temp cross bar to prevent any body flex since we removed so much of the underside. Sits nice! I plan to put the NSU interior back into it,

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

General idea of it up and coming bad-assness

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

stock muffler worked out very nicely, gonna have to fix that corner and the crooked bumper. Some rear coil overs are on the way to lift the ass end up

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

wheels clear the fenders with a bit of room to spare

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

We decided to weld a section between the body and the pan to give it a cleaner look. It is also getting welded on the inside where to 2 pans meet up. The rear body mount on the pan lines up well with the rear seat belt hole so we will construct a brace so that the body is both welded and bolted to the pan. The steering will be married up using a Super Beetle shaft section. The NSU design is so close to the VW pattern only a small modification is necessary. Fender flares will come into the picture soon as well.

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

ok its done! The big - ass tires are just not going to work in the front. I cranked up the Empi coils for all they were worth and its still iffy in the rear. The 225 14's are just too wide. I think some 195-14" will work nicely

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

I shielded the engine from the exhaust heat and glued 2 magnets on the shroud to hold the deck lid rod. The NSU wiring was very friendly with the VW. 1600 DP should move this nicely

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: