Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

NSU seats back on their tabs, they flip forward for easy back seat access. This was a lot of work, Beetle seats would be easier I just did not want to loose the NSU flavor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

OOOPs

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Sadly my beam is bent back on the passenger side 3/4" from a curber, also the driver lower kingpin is loose. I might just get another beam and go through it. It back burner for now.. working on customer cars!

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Found a good beam locally so I hope to get that swapped by the end of the month. Then its test drive time!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

OK, got the new beam in! I've been re-attaching the door trim and tidying up some of the interior. Its almost test drive time, just need some brake bleeding and then we will see if the unknown transmission and unknown engine actually work. Some pics this week, maybe even with a less crappy camera.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Hooray it runs under its own power (since like 1986)!!! I need a new fuel pump But the 1600 DP runs great. My biggest headache was the NSU ignition was 1/2 bad, still providing power to the lights but nothing to the rest of the car. I did a 5 wire harness to get it running and charging. Still needs axle boots as well. I will get pics Sunday with the good camera and post results. Fun project. and another weird car is back in service. It has a great lift and 5.60 Belted up front/6.00 belted out back. The mags looked good but were just too big for the car. Now where is the nearest rally track...???
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the finished car , it runs and drives well and was a fun challenge for my little shop!

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

One more..

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Now for sale in the classified section!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Ok since I'm getting liken zero interest in my creation its going back into the garage for a make over. Got my body pro to massage out the wrinkled quarter. It is skimmed in fill but very thin. I'm going for an off road look since it sits high. So bye-bye patina hello retro rally. Pics soon.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

I'm going to loose the bumpers front and rear . I can't really find a true off-road look ( except for one Finnish rally ) picture so I'm going to fab a short front bumper to copy the front oil cooler look of track cars. I will need a rear fender flare as I had to cut the factory one out to accommodate the tires. Its pretty fast with the stock 1600DP and handles really nice (feels "lighter").
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Better...

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Too bad nobody was interested in buying the NSU. Have you been driving it this year? Have you thought about installing smaller wheels to bring the vehicle height and wheelwell gap down? VW bay window buses ('68 thru '70) had 5-bolt "wide pattern" rims that are 5" x 14" and fit your drums. Add 175/65 x14 tires, which would bring your ride height down at least 1-2". Although this method might not work well with your planned raised "rally look" anymore.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

I drive it every 2-3 weeks for an errand about town and I did take it into the hills to see how it would do off-road ( very nicely ). I thought about lowering it ( I recently completed a very low DD Bus aka "the 4 lug thug" ) , but I really like the look with the Belted tires. Victim of my own "style council". Weather is warming back up , should be able to move forward.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

New drivers door on! the old door had been sprung so i spent the day very,very carefully taking the felt channel/hardware etc. out of it. My new door is very straight but a different year so some modifications were required. I love interacting with the NSU engineering, everything is very logical and easy to get to. More pics soon.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

OK made a front bumper that approximates the front oil cooler ran back in the day and added some good off road lights

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Most of NSU rally cars did not run rear bumpers, not sure about the hubcaps.. may just run it with the wheels. My body guy has it in his shop so now its time to find some cool stickers!!

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Just got it back from the body shop!! Just needs the cool Rally stickers I found and fresh pics. Stay tuned!
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

I wish I had this car. I'd love to have one in just this condition.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine and IRS trans graft into NSU. Help needed Reply with quote

Ok as promised! #128 ran in the East Africa Rally back in the early 70's ( did ok, like 4th overall). Found some cool vintage rally stickers as well. maybe it will find a new home now!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: