Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helicoil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

Need some fresh ideas on how to clear the front driver sunroof drain. Been Lurking on the forum for a couple years, and suggestions are appreciated. The passenger front drain flows good, within 5 seconds I have water dripping on the ground. But the left is a problem. I’ve read a number of different posts and tried the basics of using water, compressed air, and snaking by hand only. Does anyone know for sure how to get to the lower drain opening hidden inside the body? If I remove the front left fender will the bottom of the drain tube be exposed? Has anyone successfully used any chemical agents that didn’t damage the plastic tubing? What about vacuum instead of pressure? Could boiling water make a difference?

I’ve tried weed eater line, and also small gauge flexible braided steel line which I can work in fairly freely until what I think is about the bend at the top of the door. So I think the blockage is lower in the tube. Yesterday I was able to get some water dripping under the car only with an air compressor connected to a rubber hose inserted, and gradually turning up the pressure from 50 to about 90 psi. I got some dirty water to come out between the 5th and 10th try and thought I was making progress. I repeated the process of adding water, hit it with compressed air, for over 2 hours but it actually seemed to regress toward the end and I was getting less water coming thru so I think whatever dirt and gunk is in there is now compacted. Water I pour into the channel just pools around the drain hole. Started looking at vacuum pumps, and wet dry vacs…and dreaming of draino…
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

It must be compacted dirt. By adding water, you may be “calcifying “ it. I would continue with air and hedge trimmer line. I think I may have pics of the drain routing on my ‘65 sunroof build thread.

Martin
Allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

Helicoil wrote:
Need some fresh ideas on how to clear the front driver sunroof drain. Been Lurking on the forum for a couple years, and suggestions are appreciated. The passenger front drain flows good, within 5 seconds I have water dripping on the ground. But the left is a problem. I’ve read a number of different posts and tried the basics of using water, compressed air, and snaking by hand only. Does anyone know for sure how to get to the lower drain opening hidden inside the body? If I remove the front left fender will the bottom of the drain tube be exposed? Has anyone successfully used any chemical agents that didn’t damage the plastic tubing? What about vacuum instead of pressure? Could boiling water make a difference?…

You can access the outlet by removing the fender. Keep in mind that the outlet for the front drains is about half way up/down the fender mounting strip. This means its hidden by the fender. Short of opening the sunroof, and using a sink drain snake I don't think you can clean it out without removing the fender. Keep in mind that the tubes for the drains are 13mm ID. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Helicoil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! I will take another run at the rotor rooter method but also start looking at fender removal process, don’t think they’ve ever been off since new so don’t really want to mess with it but good to know that’s an option if all else fails.
Thanks, Jeff
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

To access the upper drains, you'll need to remove the screws for the corner pieces, and carefully pry them up. Once they're off, you can see the steel tubing that's welded inside the "A"post. There should be about a 3 to 4 inch long piece of rubber/plastic tubing for the corner drains to attach to the "A"post tubing. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Helicoil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

Yup, I’ve had those corner pieces off exposing the 2 front drain holes in the corners, thanks! Had a quick question on removing the left front fender to clear the bottom of that drain tube, so wanted to ask if you had any pointers about that? I’ve looked at the Bentley book and it looks pretty straightforward about removing the front bumper then the screws and bolts in a certain order. I don’t think they’ve ever been off this car, which I had shipped from California 2 years ago, and while it’s in very good shape, always garage kept, I’m wondering about any gotcha’s. I’m going to replace the fender beading hard plastic seal between body panels, although the car is in overall almost entirely rust free condition those fasteners are still 53 years old, and also I’d like to renew the body panel beading to black. I figure I would buy the kit from ISPWEST since it appears there are 3 types of beading (round, L, and T?) and replace the others later assuming this one goes ok. I’m thinking I should use penetrating spray but not sure, and also wondering if I should plan on reusing all the nuts and bolts and washers, or buy all new bits, or perhaps just the washers it appears there are rubber or plastic washers in there. What do you think? Thanks, Jeff
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

Helicoil wrote:
Yup, I’ve had those corner pieces off exposing the 2 front drain holes in the corners, thanks! Had a quick question on removing the left front fender to clear the bottom of that drain tube, so wanted to ask if you had any pointers about that? I’ve looked at the Bentley book and it looks pretty straightforward about removing the front bumper then the screws and bolts in a certain order. I don’t think they’ve ever been off this car, which I had shipped from California 2 years ago, and while it’s in very good shape, always garage kept, I’m wondering about any gotcha’s. I’m going to replace the fender beading hard plastic seal between body panels, although the car is in overall almost entirely rust free condition those fasteners are still 53 years old, and also I’d like to renew the body panel beading to black. I figure I would buy the kit from ISPWEST since it appears there are 3 types of beading (round, L, and T?) and replace the others later assuming this one goes ok. I’m thinking I should use penetrating spray but not sure, and also wondering if I should plan on reusing all the nuts and bolts and washers, or buy all new bits, or perhaps just the washers it appears there are rubber or plastic washers in there. What do you think? Thanks, Jeff

The biggest issues you run into removing the front fenders are the 3 or 4 screws that are hiding under the carpet (at the base of the "A" post). You'll need to remove those (10mm head). Then there's one hiding way up front under the dash (also 10mm head), plus the one at the top of the fender/door post (M6x1 machine screw (also 10mm head), plus the one at the very bottom of the fender (at the heater channel). Then there's a couple of m-8 screws(13mm head)that hold the fender supports. Then it's just a matter of removing the rest of the screws (with rubber washers) to remove the fenders, I think there are 12 or 13 screws total per front fender. I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:

Last edited by Bobnotch on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

This diagram shows the different profiles and where they are used. I have some detailed installed images on the ISP site under the part #361898715A.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wouldn't stress to hard about penetrating oil and what not. Just get in there and see if they come undone. The bolts bolt to a clip, so even if there is rust, it shouldn't be too hard to break them free.

You should be able to access the drain pretty easily once you get the fender off. I'd make sure you haven't damaged the tube connecting the sunroof drain to the tube running down the a-pillar. There's also the rear drain that drains behind the rear fender.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helicoil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

Got the front fender loose enough today to see behind it that there is a vertical shallow groove or depression about 1/3 the way down the door panel, dry initially but I poked and scraped it with a small screwdriver and some wetness came thru, but it is a solid mess. BobNotch as you surmised this could never be cleared going thru the channel from the top as I’ve been doing. Unfortunately there is no obvious opening to try and clear, see the pics below especially the one with small pick embedded in this clog..am I correct in assuming I should just try to poke almost directly upward when I resume tomorrow? The channel implies a slight angle I’m guessing I should try to clear. I Am concerned I could poke a hole right thru the channel when I’m just trying to open the bottom end..
Anyone have a picture of what the lower drain opening is supposed to look like?

Helicoil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

Success! After cleaning up this morning I realized there is only a small slit in the round plastic bottom exit behind the front fender, and by working into it just a strand of braided wire a couple inches thru and then an exacto knife blade, (not to cut anything) and repeatedly flushing I was able to break thru the sediment that was blocking the tube, and clear the slit until it was all washed out. Now it flows thru immediately. Woohoo! Going to let it dry out for a day or so and then put the fender back on (I was able to leave it partially on by loosening the front bolts. I just need to figure out what body panel sealant/ goo I should use, and apply some rust inhibitor to the small area below the exit. Thanks for your help! Hopefully the pics will help if anyone else runs into this.

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

Nice!

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Square Sunroof Drain Clogged Fun Reply with quote

You might want to try hitting the drain (at the top) with some compressed air and blowing the crap out of it. I'd do that before I reassembled the fender. I only say that as the water should flow more freely that your pics are showing.
Glad to have helped a little. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: