Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Fastback from Poland
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralfik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Hello Everyone! This is my first post on TheSamba forum - however I'm here a frequent visitor since at least 10 years...
Some months ago I became to be an lucky (so far) owner of '68 Fastback. As I'm from Poland, this car is really rare in my country. This one is special - everything is original and complete, without any mods, bought from the first owner, who left Poland in early 80s to realize his American Dream. The car has been not started since '93. After 3 years of my tryings, finally, partly by coincindence, the car is mine Smile

Here are first pictures:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I plan to try to start the engine soon, but I don't want to spoil anything, so I'm patiently waiting for my old friend, who was an aircooled vw expert years ago, and promised to help me in next weeks.

I'm writing this post, hoping to keep motivation in bringing my Beauty back to the good shape and condition.
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Very cool, very very clean looking score!! Let me be the first to say WELCOME TO SAMBA!
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Looks to be really solid and clean.

Please post more pics, we LOVE pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Very nice! Congratulations on the purchase.

To anyone who knows:
Do European 68s still use the 67-down style column?
I don't remember knowing that fact.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Ralfik wrote:
Hello Everyone! This is my first post on TheSamba forum - however I'm here a frequent visitor since at least 10 years...
Some months ago I became to be an lucky (so far) owner of '68 Fastback. As I'm from Poland, this car is really rare in my country. This one is special - everything is original and complete, without any mods, bought from the first owner, who left Poland in early 80s to realize his American Dream. The car has been not started since '93. After 3 years of my tryings, finally, partly by coincindence, the car is mine Smile

Here are first pictures:

I plan to try to start the engine soon, but I don't want to spoil anything, so I'm patiently waiting for my old friend, who was an aircooled vw expert years ago, and promised to help me in next weeks.

I'm writing this post, hoping to keep motivation in bringing my Beauty back to the good shape and condition.

Congrats!! Very nice score. Cool It looks very original and unmolested, both of which are rare today.
Before you try to start it, I'd replace the fuel lines, and have some fresh gas to put in it.
Also, is it carbed or FI? Just asking, as the USA got FI, while most other countries got carbs (FI was an option).
Does it have pop out rear side windows? Hard to tell from the pics. More pics please. We like pics.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

To anyone who knows:

In the photo, it looks like it has the perpendicular (vs. angled) ignition switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
EverettB wrote:

To anyone who knows:

In the photo, it looks like it has the perpendicular (vs. angled) ignition switch.

It looks like a '67 column. Nice score by the way!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Also, is it carbed or FI? Just asking, as the USA got FI, while most other countries got carbs (FI was an option).

Carbs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2139245

Max
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
EverettB wrote:

To anyone who knows:

Yes, I should have been more specific as I noticed it had the "early" column so I was wondering if that continued later than 1967 for European Type 3s.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Carbs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2139245

Max

Thanks. Looks complete and original there too. Very nice. Cool
Gotta love those original unmolested cars. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked

What a treasure!

If the motor has been sitting that long, you would be wise to approach the first start-up with caution.

While you might see a bunch of those "Will it Run' videos on YouTube,
A calculated approach to firing off a motor that has been sitting can prevent costly internal damage.

First thing, before you try and turn it over, pull all of the spark plugs and squirt a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil or similar in each cylinder.
Also pull the rockers and pushrods(!)
Very carefully rotate the motor a quarter turn counter-clockwise before trying to turn the motor around by hand.
If it hits some kind of stop, don't force it.
Check to make sure a valve isn't stuck open.
Re-torque the four lower head studs.
If you can get the motor turning through by hand, then fill the pushrods and rockers full of oil and install.
Adjust valves.
Turn the motor over by hand and make sure all valves are opening and closing like they should.
If it's all behaving like it's supposed to,
Then stab the plugs and try to fire it off.

Sometimes people just go to cranking and valve hits a piston or the motor breaks a ring.
Carelessness can damage an otherwise good motor that has been sitting.
Be careful and deliberate in breaking things free with lots of oil,
And it might just fire off and run for years.

What peach of a car you have there...!
Original colored fender beading.
OG seat upholstery.
A real treasure!
Let's see some more pics.. Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
Ralfik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was not supposing that my post will find so many responses - appreciate that!
Thank you very much for your good advices - I have no rush, the car was waiting so long for me, that now I can slowly prepare everything before first startup - and for sure, I will not do anything without my VW expert's support.
The good thing is, that there is oil in the engine, and previous owner was removing all, even the smallest defects, in very famous workshop (the first VW workshop opened in Poland) and giving appropriate notes.
To not completely loose the time, I'm collecting all neccessary things to run the engine:

The weather here in Poland was not allow me to make any advanced activities with the car during the weekend. Let's see, maybe the next one will be a little bit warmer. I will keep you updated, if there will be any progress with startup.

In the meantime, I'm sending some new pictures:

And to show, that the car has also some weaknesses:

Moreover, the fuel tank has some spot holes - I suppose it'll need to be changed. Unfortunately the new ones are not available - at least in Poland.

Do you have any advises, where to buy a new / good one in Europe?
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

That is a really nice fastback!

I would try Mario for a replacement gas tank http://type3headquarter.de/

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Ralfik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
That is a really nice fastback!

I would try Mario for a replacement gas tank http://type3headquarter.de/

Thanks for the hint. I asked through his webside. No answer yet.
I also found one in Poland - as I learned need to be renovated, but seller assures that there are no holes. I will try with this one - price is really reasonable Wink
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Good luck with the car!

And the gas tank, indeed no new ones available, and the gas tanks available always need some work, but watch out because of exlplosion danger Wink
Ralfik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Hello after few months of silence! As we had long winter in spring in Poland, most of activities had to wait for the summer weather. Therefore let me share with you what activities have been made.

First of all the interior has been cleaned up - the upholestry is in pretty good condition, without any holes and damages. I'm really supprised how nice it looks Smile

Wheels have been sandblasted and powdercoated. Vredstein Classic tires have been installed on them (155/80 R15 - hope the size fits enough)

Drums have been taken off. Now I'm waiting for the new shoes and other stuff to make brakes living again.

Luckly I found the gas tank in quite good condition (at least without holes) - now need to search for posts, how to renovate it.

Last but not least - the engine has been successfully started! Very Happy

Link

Now the new challenges appear... As the exhaust is heavly rusted, I was searching the new one. Unfortunately, it seems the exhaust for Typ3 is some kind of "special" - not available on stock, need to be shipped with quite long lead time, and 4x more expensive than the T1 or T2... Is there any reason for that? Maybe stupid question, but... are you all using the dedicated exhaust, or there are some "tricks" to adapt for example exhaust from T2?

Cheers!
Rafal
Ralfik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Still waiting for new parts arrival, I spent some time to clean up the car. Still not perfect, but... I think it looks quite fine Wink

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Ralfik wrote:
Hello after few months of silence! As we had long winter in spring in Poland, most of activities had to wait for the summer weather. Therefore let me share with you what activities have been made.

First of all the interior has been cleaned up - the upholestry is in pretty good condition, without any holes and damages. I'm really supprised how nice it looks Smile

Wheels have been sandblasted and powdercoated. Vredstein Classic tires have been installed on them (155/80 R15 - hope the size fits enough)

Drums have been taken off. Now I'm waiting for the new shoes and other stuff to make brakes living again.

Luckly I found the gas tank in quite good condition (at least without holes) - now need to search for posts, how to renovate it.

Last but not least - the engine has been successfully started! Very Happy

Link

Now the new challenges appear... As the exhaust is heavly rusted, I was searching the new one. Unfortunately, it seems the exhaust for Typ3 is some kind of "special" - not available on stock, need to be shipped with quite long lead time, and 4x more expensive than the T1 or T2... Is there any reason for that? Maybe stupid question, but... are you all using the dedicated exhaust, or there are some "tricks" to adapt for example exhaust from T2?

Cheers!
Rafal

Congrats on getting it to run.
The stock type 3 exhaust is all by itself. The real problem is nobody is making them any more, so all you'll find are NOS units. CIP does however make a kit that uses a bus muffler, and some upper connecting pipes, BUT, it won't have the upper "pre-heater" units.
Some of us are using aftermarket systems too, but none of them have the upper "pre-heaters" either. Just something to keep in mind.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked

Love seeing so much original interior stuff all in one place..
That dash pad looks perfect.
Here in the US they have all cracked wide open years ago.

Driver's seat headrest is an interesting add-on.
Does the material match the OG seats as it appears to in the pic?
Also seat recliners and an under-dash parcel tray..
Cool period accessories.. Cool

Those original carpets have many unique features and no reproductions have any of the fine molded details.
Don't think for a moment you could ever find any better.
If you are intent upon fixing this car up nice,
Remember that cleaning/restoring the original parts is often preferred to buying new aftermarket reproductions.
This is especially true for carpets, interior vinyl parts like panels and seats, many rubber seals, on and on.
Toss nothing, until you have a better item in-hand.

Your car is a creampuff.. Most of them here in the US had their original parts lost years ago.

What’s That Noise?!?
Buscowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Fastback from Poland Reply with quote

You have a great looking Fastback. I had to replace the exhaust on my Fastback last week, I decided on a NOS type 3 item but I know CSP in Germany 🇩🇪 do an exhaust for a type3, not cheap but if you can’t find an original it might be worth saving up.
The red interior looks sweet against the white exterior paint, I would just clean it up and not change a thing.
The original carpets in mine were in pretty good shape but had faded to brown in places, I applied some black carpet dye and they look great once again, it was cheap to do as well.
Keep the posts coming and welcome from 🇬🇧
1970 FI Auto Squareback
1999 T4 Transporter 2.5 TDI Reimo

http://www.youtube.com/@BuscowboyClassics

https://www.instagram.com/buscowboy/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: