Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gene Berg locking shifter problem?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razzmatazz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Gene Berg locking shifter problem? Reply with quote

Hi, Can anyone help me with my gene berg locking shifter because every year at mot time I have problems getting enough throw on the handbrake as the base of the shifter is in the way?
I have bought a pair of handbrake cable extension tubes but the garage I use says they won't work!
Anyone else have this problem and more important a solution?
Thanks
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene Berg locking shifter problem? Reply with quote

Razzmatazz wrote:
Hi, Can anyone help me with my gene berg locking shifter because every year at mot time I have problems getting enough throw on the handbrake as the base of the shifter is in the way?
I have bought a pair of handbrake cable extension tubes but the garage I use says they won't work!
Anyone else have this problem and more important a solution?
Thanks

I have a '66 that has a swing axle kit in the rear, I also have the Berg locking shifter, and had problems at first too.

I was able to get things perfect finally by using new Brazilian T3 4-lug rear drums (w/ 5 lug adapters), new T3 shoes, new German E-brake cables from Ronnie at Bustoration, and e-brake extension tubes from Aaron at Wide5.

I'm assuming you have a swing axle kit, as you mentioned the e-brake extensions.

Are your rear drums and shoes within spec? Are your current e-brake cables stretched or fraying?
Razzmatazz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gene Berg locking shifter problem? Reply with quote

Hi mate, I have a rear end IRS kit from Creative Engineering and bay window drums. I have split handbrake cables but I can't tell if they've stretched?
How do you go about testing/checking them? As I thought you had to buy the extension tubes because of the fact that the cables were too long anyway?
Thanks Razzmatazz
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene Berg locking shifter problem? Reply with quote

The drawback with the Berg locking shifter is E-brake travel. You MUST have the E-brake cables adjusted perfectly all the time. There is no room for a couple extra clicks if you need it, as the shifter base is in the way of handle travel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: