Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Still noisy after valve adjustment
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got it all put back together and started it up only to discover a new sound! It's a very loud clatter and it doesn't sound like the valves. It actually sounds like it is coming from the center of the engine, like right around the fan. I don't see that I have dropped anything down there when I was putting it back together. I took video but we don't have power right now cause of the storm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter eh.....hmmm. It doesn't sound that bad, but the idle is kinda off. Maybe you should check your timing and adjust your idle. Could the clatter be coming from your distributor? Is the rotor well seated?

I really don't know what to tell you. It was a fairly simple valve adjustment that you were doing. Why that would lead to this I don't know.

From what I can hear through my tiny speaker, I don't sense that nasty slapping noise that we heard before, and I think I can hear the nice soft snap of the seemingly well adjusted valves. Give it some air and see what happens. How are your valve cover gaskets? Possible vacuum leak?

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post the video tomorrow so you can hear what it sounds like. I don't think it is valves but I could be wrong. All I know to do right now is start over with the valve adjustment again. I will double check the rotor, that is a good idea

Timing is set at 7.5 degrees BTDC. I have a timing light and after I adjusted the valves I set the timing. It's always idled a little low. I know there is an idle adjustment screw on the AFM but I have never messed with it. I will play with that tomorrow too.

According to my vacuum gauge, it's pulling 15" at idle. Trying to think of anything else important I checked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve cover gaskets - I used two brand new cork ones. I'll look it all over tomorrow when I pull the valve covers again. In the video above, I ran it with the valve covers off but they are back on now.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valves sound good to me, from my little speaker. Don't touch the AFM. Give it a little more air from the screw on the throttle body, pictured below. Set it for 900-950 on a warmed engine. It's hard to diagnose over the internet, but it sounds like you are on the right track.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Westfabulous on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've got a VOM that does RPMs so I will throw that on there tomorrow and check the RPMs and adjust as necessary.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you really need is a few other discerning ears to have a listen. It is very hard to diagnose from where I sit.

russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm hearing right now isn't in the previous video. I've got it recorded on my phone, but I can't upload it from my phone and we still got no power here.
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. I am getting there! Got some camping trips soon that I want to be ready for. I noticed my alternator belt looks a little worn, I got a new one to put on soon.
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's the video of the new sound. Does it sound like valves or something else? I'll go through it all again when I get home.

Link
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the fan may be rubbing on surrounding metal. Take a screwdriver and put the fat end up to your ear and use it like a stethoscope to pinpoint the sound.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like valves to me. Sounds like a bearing on my tiny speaker. You could take off your alternator belt and see if sound goes away.

You need to localize the noise: distributor? Alternator bearing? Exhaust?
Fan?

RocketRod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it could be a nut off your fan. Get a magnet at the bottom of the fan area. I read on here once that a timing light will help you in determining noise. Noise in time with the strobe, valve train, not in time, lower end.
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you know what that sound was? My fancy aluminum timing scale. Apparently I tightened my fan guard on so tight that it was rubbing against the nuts on the fan. I feel silly now.
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final video.

Link
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thanks for all the help. I took it for a test drive today and it drove great, maybe better than it has in a while.

A few months ago, I got a new muffler because, well, this.

I got a new Pacesetter and had it ceramic coated so it hopefully doesn't turn into a pile of rust like my Empi did.

Anyways I was wondering why it didn't sound any quieter after installing the Pacesetter. Eventually I figured out it had an exhaust leak, so I pulled the manifolds and replaced the copper seals. On one side, my seals looked like this.

After following Ratwell's guide for annealing the copper gaskets and filing down the tops of the exhaust manifolds I put it all back together and it instantly sounded a lot quieter.

In the process I wanted to address the oil leak and figured out it was coming from my pushrod tubes, which prompted pulling them to replace the seals. That's how I got to this point where I needed help with adjusting the valves.

This whole thing has been an exercise in patience, and in the process I learned a lot more about my hydraulic lifters and how to adjust the valves. I had been very confused because it seems a lot of info out there is contradictory and/or confusing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: