Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Stereo Suggestions Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
...iPod and stereo-plug-to-cassette adapter. Cassette adapters are impossible to buy, you have to ask friends with large basements to scan for them (when I asked, I got two...)

My Jetta came with a cassette player. I had been using an FM transmitter with it for my iPod, but driving in metro areas it's basically useless. Cassette adapter works great and I readily found it at Walmart.

SteelB12 wrote:
What do you guys think of this one: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Pyle-PLRCS20U-Cassette-MP3-Car-Stereo/5392131/product.html

I was surprised to find that it has a cassette player, but it has USB and AUX ports which is really all I want. Might be a bit too cheap perhaps??

My god... they still make cassette players for cars?? Surprised

If you never listen to cassettes, but still have CDs hanging around, I'd suggest finding a head unit with USB, AUX and CD. There might be times when you want to pop a CD in.

I bought a Kenwood (AUX & CD) for my van; the menu is a PITA and the dumb demo display won't turn off (followed the instructions countless times). I'm considering replacing it with this AUX/USB/CD Sony unit: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_29464_Sony-CDX-GT550UI.html .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you never listen to cassettes, but still have CDs hanging around, I'd suggest finding a head unit with USB, AUX and CD. There might be times when you want to pop a CD in.

Unfortunately all of my language learning media are cassettes so this would actually come in handy. Probably wouldn't last long for $35 though. Might just have to do what I did with my prior Westy and just drive down to Crutchfield and have them install one.
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed an Axxera XDMA7200 CD/receiver purchased from Crutchfield on offer for about $110.

It has an aux input, USB, SD card, ipod controls, pre amp outputs, sub volume control and full blue tooth with microphone (for the smart phone I plan to get) and a remote (essential for a camper). The USB input is great for podcasts.

I was amazed at all this for the price. Sounds great, very pleased with it and with Crutchfield service.
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have jvc 2 6in speakers in doors,2 6in on either side of a/c unit,1 12in bass in bottom of rear seat and 2 amps under left side of rear seat.sounds great.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

its gunna b bad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your stereo? Suggestions..... Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:
I am planning to install a stereo system in my project syncro which has nothing in it so far. What front door speakers do you have and love, and how easy are they to install?
(And where can I get them?)

What Head unit do you have and what do you love about it?

And for those of you with passanger vans such as myself, what do you do for rear speakers/enclosures?

Thanks!

Fronts=HFI65CX, easy install, most speakers are typically easy. Except the terminals are the solder on type, but they are 35$ a pair at www.sonicelectronix.com
I use that website for almost all of my car audio purchases, best in the business.
Deck= Old panasonic, easy controls, little older but was high end back then and still is a very decent head unit especially when running amps.
I do not own a van so I cant help you out with the last one.

I reccomend this head unit for you : KD-R210 or DEH-1300MP Both are $70 and good brands.
Im not sure what size speakers fit in your door for hole size and depth(for the magnet) but the brand I have(Hifonics) is one of the top brands but they have very good prices for how good they are, definently do not skip over them when shopping.
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:
One thing to keep in mind while searching for a stereo is because of the stock location. Some of the screens can't be seen from an angle. .

I love my Kenwood except for the fact that I can't see the screen from my driving position. The USB and mini input both come in handy. Having the remote has been great. I put some inexpensive components(Sound Ordinance) which I think are Crutchfield's house brand in the doors and some 5 1/4's in the overhead cabinet.

82 Diesel Westy
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone happened to come across a powered subwoofer that fits in the 3 inch space under the passenger seat in a Vanagon??

Thanks!
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run jvc decks in all of my cars, the controls are very simple and they have a pretty decent output for the buck

I cant remember the model in my van but it has Ipod blue tooth and a usb port for under 200 bucks at best buy with there 4 year in store warranty" I suggest you get it, it's 20 bucks and covers the unit to ANY damage"
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliottlemberger wrote:
Has anyone happened to come across a powered subwoofer that fits in the 3 inch space under the passenger seat in a Vanagon??

Thanks!

I think someone around here may have used this.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114

82 Diesel Westy
78BayDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Bose 301 Series 3 under my back bench seat. Had to remove the seat to put them in, but they both fit snug, and don't move around and sound great. I have an Alpine cd head unit that pushes them to the point of failure on the head unit end. Gotta love it...
1978 BayWindow Bus
1974 Bus
1990 Jetta
1979 Dasher Wagon
1972 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks!

In common with a number of folkes here I installed a Boss Bass 600 inder a front seat about a year ago and it is still working well for me.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-346

It looks like it may not be available anymore though.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> What Head unit do you have and what do you love about it?

I would want a head unit that has at least an Aux input so I could play music off my iPhone or iPod.

If it has a USB input, it will not only play music off the iPhone, it will charge it too. The only problem with USB is it auto plays the first song in my library, which I hate and cant figure out how to disable. I use the aux input for that reason, and a separate charger for the phone in the cig lighter socket.

I have used a cassete that has an aux output, the sound is absolutely horrible. Same with FM adapters, horrible.
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus i use an flash drive with music on it for the usb.there cheap and hold alot
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shepherdsond wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!

In common with a number of folkes here I installed a Boss Bass 600 inder a front seat about a year ago and it is still working well for me.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-346

It looks like it may not be available anymore though.

Ya looks like that's the only one that would fit...drag that it doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore..
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliottlemberger wrote:

Ya looks like that's the only one that would fit...drag that it doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore..

Interesting... So the BASS600 was superseded a couple years ago by the BASS900. When it came out, the new model was getting bad reviews on Amazon, with some reports of it malfunctioning. I just checked the Boss website and it no longer listst the 900, but does list the older 600, even thought it doesn't seem to be available. Weird.

The Bass1200 was/is the 10" version of the Bass600 (8") and Amazon currently has 'em. The height is the same (which just barely fits in a Westy), but it's a little bigger in lengh/width. When I installed the 600 in my Westy, there was definitely a bit more room available (although I recall there being some intrusions that may impede things?). Non-westy might be easier.

I don't have my van at my desk to measure that space Smile

Manufacturer specs:
BASS600: 13.7" x 9.8" x 2.8"
BASS1200: 15.2" x 11.6" x 2.8"

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:

I don't have my van at my desk to measure that space Smile

Manufacturer specs:
BASS1200: 15.2" x 11.6" x 2.8"

I reckon the 1200 will fit under the drivers side. Passenger side has that battery vent.

My measurement of the drivers side is 12 wide and a little over 15 back without protruding in to the aux compartment. My plans are to put an Optima battery back there and its recommended to lay that on its side with the terminals pointing in to this space. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

For now I'm going to chance it. If it doesn't work out I'm sure I can find another place to put this.

[edit] after reading through all the reviews on amazon, I'm not going to chance the BOSS gear. It's one thing to have problematic units, but I am not willing to deal with crappy customer service.

Found this Kenwood unit http://www.amazon.com/KENWOOD-KSC-SW10-Powered-Enc...mp;sr=1-12
It unfortunately wont fit under the seats, but should work nicely behind the driver seat without restricting the (limited) range of seat adjustment.

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpine CDA-117CD. Fits great with the tab removed behind the stereo. Remote control located in the back.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to be touring accross a major section of the Northern american continent..

XM satellite radio makes the most sense to us.

The dash and interior are bare, but we have plans for a Sony headset with removeable face..
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts Express has two Boss units and a Pyle one too:
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=995
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: pioneer Reply with quote

pachec wrote:
No need to cut for bigger speakers!!!!!!!!!
Pioneer decks fit well and are reasonably priced. I just installed a complete system in my Westy. Pioneer deck, amp (driving the two fronts and the sub,) 10" sub-woofer and four 4" speakers (amp and all speakers are Memphis Audio/quality at a reasonable price.)
Important to note that you do not need to cut your van for bigger speakers!!!!!! (Did I mention that?) The 4 inchers work great. The sub I mounted in a built in box, beneath the rear bench, as per Jake de Villiers' advice. This system sounds fantastic.......550.00 will be about the least you can spend for a great sounding system, if you install it yourself. Good luck
Blue Bay Bus X2 got mine at go westy , love pioneer good cost , good sound. Kind of middle of the road in the high end car stereo. I pulled up the receipt in 2006 it was 455.92 maybe now more. So now 550.00 doesn't sound to bad for all that equipment.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: