Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Stereo Suggestions Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:
gregaz wrote:
[/i] I can figure out what the wires on the harness mean, and IF I have enough room to work with in the dash.

Typically, the head unit's wiring harness will be labeled (that's the labeling you're seeing on your old head unit's harness that's sticking out of the dash). If not, you can find the Pioneer manual online to get the wiring scheme. If you pop the ash tray out of the dash, it can help with access. You should also remove the mounting sleeve for the previous head unit to make more space and not slice up your hands (your replacement should have come with its own).

The wire colors are basically standardized nowadays. So when you get the new harness, just cut off the old one one wire at a time. Put the new red wire to where the old red wire was, the new yellow wire to where the old yellow wire was, and so on. Easy.

Of course that assumes whoever did the Rampage install did it correctly! Ha ha, did it work right?

BTW, I like the RetroSound radios and have installed them in my two Buses and actually did an install yesterday in someone else's Bus.

I do have one like that Classic Car Radio I'd sell. The Aux input doesn't work, but the radio functions do.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I just picked up a Boss 614UA unit (no cd or dvd) off of Flea Bay. Came with wire harness, mounting sleeve, etc. The old original Blaupunkt is getting retired. Thank you Kamzcab86 for the suggestion.

Craig
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Ended up returning the Best Buy open box stereo I bought on eBay. Really not happy about that whole situation - feel like they were blowing me off ... But a full refund, no questions asked, etc.

Looked for a while on Amazon, and realized that with the Pioneer MVH-X580BS, I was paying for a lot of features I would never use (Spotify integration, Sirius radio, etc). So I bought a Pioneer MVH-X390BT for $77.99 - it does everything I need it to, looks about the same, simple, clean, etc. Sure enough - first thing on top of the box is the harness, just like you guys said.

The wires were similarly colored, so I just replaced them one by one, and the stereo works fine. Only trouble ... is with the new stereo is it painfully obvious that my ancient Blaupunkt speakers are tired and worn out. Story of everything on these, right? Replace one thing - discover that three more need replacing. Anyway, new set of speakers is on the way, should be here today, might even have time to install them.

Thanks again for everyone's input, encouragement, suggestions, etc.
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

anyone install a Jensen VX 7012?

https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-VX7012-Navigation-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00WXO1OV0

A Little worried about fitting the wiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Pom Fritz - I can't definitively answer your question, but I have a Kenwood KVT-7012BT installed in my vanagon and per crutchfield it states it will not fit:

Selected Stereo:
Depth 6.8125"

Vehicle Depth: 6.2XX"

as such, I can vouch that 6.8125" fit (using crutchfields numbers, I couldnt find a depth for the unit independently)

-dsd

pomfritz wrote:
I was considering a Blaupunkt unit (Austin 440) with a touchscreen. Per Crutchfield the website said it wouldn't fit. The unit has a depth of 6.9 inches and the Vanagon has a depth of 6.2. Anyone run into problems with a touchscreen unit not fitting? I suppose they may be deeper on average?

pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Thank you. I saw that units depth on their website and that it would also not fit. That's great. The blaupunkt has what I need to have the rear camera hookup and not a bunch that I don't at a decent price for a name brand touchscreen. Besides it's also from the Vaterland.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

avernon82 wrote:
anyone install a Jensen VX 7012?

https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-VX7012-Navigation-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00WXO1OV0

A Little worried about fitting the wiring.

The guy in this thread has it. I didn't ask about fitment.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=20
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Love the new stereo without a CD player. Remote control,
•Front 3.5mm Aux input for music playback. Connects to any device with a headphone/3.5mm output
•Front USB Port to connect MP3 devices such an iPod, iPhone, etc.
•SD Media card slot for music playback
•1 Sets of 2V preamp outputs

Kamzcab86, I owe you big time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Craig
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700RSX2/Sony-RSX-2-Hi-Res-Music-System.html
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700RSX2/Sony-RSX-2-Hi-Res-Music-System.html

pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Holy simoleons, that's a lotta dough for sound in a vanagon.

Yesterday I got a $5 stereo receiver from craigslist, and it works great!

It even plays CDs:

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027124

This justifies the antenna I bought from GW when I got the van (now it's not just a stopleak).
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

That Sony is for people who buy special carrier boxes for storage of their junk instead of using cardboard boxes...
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tavaresninja wrote:
Forthwithtx wrote:
Just took delivery of one of these. I will install when I have the dash apart this coming weekend to install the refurbished heater box and core.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/custom-radio-css...-css5930bt

[Pic]

I've been considering one of those radios for my 94 Toyota PU. I want seperate knobs for Volume and Tuning. Are you satisfied with this unit? Thanks.

Sorry for the late, late response. At one time, I was all about this sort of thing, but for this application I was looking for simple and elegant, not lights and waterfalls. As for sound, it does OK. No complaints. I think it has enough going for it that whatever other things I want it to do are available.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I'm looking at this JVC KD-X33MBS

https://www.amazon.ca/JVC-KD-X33MBS-Single-Bluetoo...+KD-X33MBS

The display looks like it will be more easily seen in bright day light.

Anyone installed this unit? Opinions? Thanks.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I installed that JVC a few months back. Bluetooth is dead simple to get going and works really well. Sound quality is decent (I am using the stock 4" speakers up front). I installed XM and everything works well. I don't dig the low res display but for the price its hard to complain too much. I just wish it had less BLUE in it. Thankfully its not anywhere near eye level at night so its not annoying really.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

thanks bokonon42

I wondered about night driving with stereo on. I see it has separate brightness controls for buttons and display.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I have had good luck so far with my fairly simple set up. Well, I guess mostly simple for me since I had pros do the actual work. The shop I used have had a lot of experience with Vanagon installs and that is partly why I chose them, in addition to their solid reputation for excellent work.

The head unit is a Kenwood KDC-X301. It does everything, and more, that I need it to. I'll mention a couple of my favorites - The display is adjustable in several ways, brightness, many colors and different phases so you can make it easy on your eyes at night, yet see it easily in the daytime. It also has an actual USB port which charges your phone, or whatever you plug in. Transmission from your phone to the unit is still mainly via bluetooth, really up to you.

I use an extremely small, yet very capable Kenwood, 5-channel amp which fits in front of my main battery, under the passenger seat, with room to spare.

The amp drives 4 Focal 4" speakers all located in the stock speaker holes. These work excellent for all of your highs and mids. They really are a good quality speaker, especially for their small size.

The amp also powers a 10" sub that I have located under the rear bench seat. It barley fits there, but works great. I personally didn't mind giving up the storage space. Everything I wanted under the seat fit on just one side.

Not too fancy, nor too expensive and very unobtrusive of an install. But the sound is wonderful overall, at any volume.

Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Here is my sound system installed in my 1986 Syncro Westy, if anyone is interested. The Focal speaker components are the bomb and I'm blown away by the sound quality.

The head unit is the Power Acoustik PNX-721 In-Dash 7" Ingenix Series LCD Touchscreen DVD Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth & USB iPod Control. It also has GPS and a motorized tilt screen. The display is detachable and stores in a nice little case. It's a tight fit but it does fit. It's decent quality, but not top notch. It does have great features and was semi-affordable, relatively speaking. I have a tiny 64GB thumb drive pluged in the lower right side for music & video storage. The screen shows playing MP3's from the thumb drive. It also has an IR remote, which is very handy when listening from the back. I can play movies on my tablet in the rear "lounge" and route the audio via bluetooth through the system. Having the hands free phone function is also a nice bonus.

These speakers are really the heart of the system and really sound amazing. They are the Focal Access 165 A3 6.5-Inch 3-Way Component Speaker Kit. The woofer is mounted low in the door, with the midrange mounted in the standard spot. I did have to remove a very small amount of metal in the door so the woofers would fit. Although these are the "affordable" line of Focal speakers, they were still pricey at $370 and the most expensive single part of my sound system. I am extremely happy with these speakers!

The tweeters from the Focal kit are mounted in the corner of the dash closer to ear level and tilted up slightly towards head level. I was surprised at how nice the separate tweeter components are and it really makes a difference having them mounted higher than the other speakers.

The nice little crossover units fit nicely under the front seats and you can adjust the tweeter frequency to make them more or less "bright".

The amp came with a subwoofer remote which I mounted under the dash just to the right of the steering column. It is handy to be able to make adjustments for different types of music and my mood at the moment.

This is the subwoofer I chose which is installed in the left side of the headbanger cabinet in the rear in a down-firing configuration. The unit is the Rockford Fosgate P2D4-10 Punch P2 DVC 4 Ohm 10-Inch 300 Watts RMS 600 Watts Peak Subwoofer. The dimensions of the left side of the rear cabinet were perfect for this subwoofer, but sealing it up properly has been a challenge. I'm still making tweaks to the cabinet to seal it up a little better. I also need to do something about the under-cabinet surface... looks pretty crappy!

This image shows the Infinity speakers that were already installed when I purchased the van. You can see the subwoofer grill (additional purchase!) below the cabinet.

The previous owner also installed some larger Infinity coax speakers in the rear, but I haven't hooked those up yet.

Here is the amp mounted behind the driver's seat, along with a solar charge controller, 12v rechargeable flashlight, and solar panel plugin. The amplifier is the Precision Power P900.5 900-Watt Phantom Series Class D Full Range 5-Channel Amplifier and seems to be a good all-in-one solution with plenty of power. I thought about going with a 4 channel amp with a separate subwoofer amp, but this seems simpler and works great. It only powers up when the head unit power is on.

Anyway, that's my sound system and I'm very pleased with it so far. This is my third Westy and my third sound system install and it's easily my best effort yet. Road noise doesn't stand a chance with this system!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

nice system - I am a fan of Focal speakers BTW

and... bump for 2019 Laughing
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I installed this tiny Blaupunkt Toronto this weekend. No dash figment problems whatsoever. 😜 it was only $12 on Amazon so I was not expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. It has Bluetooth, SD slot, 2 usb connections, a remote and it sounds pretty nice. I would have been happy at $100 so for $12 I’m thrilled.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: