Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Stereo Suggestions Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
Here's a look at the stereo I installed last year in my 1987 Syncro and another in my 1989 Westy. It's a Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I definitely recommend this unit for Vanagons. Has 1980's vintage look and feel with clear display, large buttons, and retro CD player, but with modern features like Bluetooth music and phone connection, Aux and USB inputs and even NOAA Weather channels. It's made and marketed primarily for commercial vehicles like tractors, trucks, perhaps buses.

Get the optional JMICHFP Omnidirectional microphone (sold separately) so you can have hands-free phone calls through the unit. Some sellers sell this without the "pig-tail" wiring harness, but you'll need that.

The metal "V-shaped" bracket at the forward end of the Vanagon's radio space is somewhat in the way to let the unit fully insert and stay straight. I removed the one in my '89 Westy.

You can check it out at Crutchfield:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD36A/Jensen-Heavy-Duty-JHD36A.html

Crutchfield's model comes with the wiring harness, but you'll need to add the JMICHFP microphone separate.

Jim Davis

Hey Jim,

When I do the "Will it fit" on crutchfield, it says it doesn't fit the Vanagon. Do you know why crutchfield doesn't say it fits?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
SyncroHead wrote:
Here's a look at the stereo I installed last year in my 1987 Syncro and another in my 1989 Westy. It's a Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A.

I definitely recommend this unit for Vanagons. Has 1980's vintage look and feel with clear display, large buttons, and retro CD player, but with modern features like Bluetooth music and phone connection, Aux and USB inputs and even NOAA Weather channels. It's made and marketed primarily for commercial vehicles like tractors, trucks, perhaps buses.

Get the optional JMICHFP Omnidirectional microphone (sold separately) so you can have hands-free phone calls through the unit. Some sellers sell this without the "pig-tail" wiring harness, but you'll need that.

The metal "V-shaped" bracket at the forward end of the Vanagon's radio space is somewhat in the way to let the unit fully insert and stay straight. I removed the one in my '89 Westy.

You can check it out at Crutchfield:

Crutchfield's model comes with the wiring harness, but you'll need to add the JMICHFP microphone separate.

Jim Davis

Hey Jim,

When I do the "Will it fit" on crutchfield, it says it doesn't fit the Vanagon. Do you know why crutchfield doesn't say it fits?

Quote:

That bracket is often a barrier to fit for a number of head units, esp. some with cd players. I've removed from both my vans.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I like the look of the Jensen one. There is also a non-CD version, stubbier and probably easier to mount:

https://www.my12voltstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?P...WoQAvD_BwE

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip. I agree, I like the non-CD version because the buttons don't get squeezed into smaller spaces. Unfortunately, It looks like they're all 6 7/8" - 7.4" deep so no new found space for something new under the ashtray (like secret switches, hidden usb bus, etc.)

It turns out there are a few Jensen HD options. Interestingly, they don't list a CD version on the Jensen site.
https://www.jensenheavyduty.com/products/stereos.html

Some of the key differences that I can suss out include (not inclusive of all key differences - corrections welcomed). Naturally, since I'd want bluetooth and pre-amp outputs I want the most expensive unit.

MSRPs for price ladder reference only, street price is typically a couple hundred less.

1635 BTB, W/ Pre-amp outputs, W/Bluetooth, $414 MSRP
WITH Green or Blue phone button at 10:00 at the volume knob
https://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-am-fm-wb-ipod-iphone-ready-siriusxm-bluetooth-stereo.html

Edit: There are two models, 1635BT and 1635BTB, BTB stands for Bluetooth Blunt wire harness in that it comes with a wire harness. As I understand, 1635BT does not come with a wire harness because the commercial/construction vehicles it's often installed in already have the harness with correct plug, i.e. look for the BTB version if you want the wire harness.

e-Trailer has the best specs and a video showing the 6 1/4" mounting depth which is about 1/2" shorter than the CD version...
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Stereos/Jensen/JHD1635BTB.html

1630 BTB W/ Pre-amp outputs, NO Bluetooth, $322 MSRP...
NO green or blue phone button at 10:00 at the volume knob
https://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-heavy-duty-am-fm-wb-ipod-iphone-siriusxm-stereo.html

1640 BTB, NO Pre-Amp Outputs, W/Bluetooth $246 MSRP
WITH Green or Blue phone button at 10:00 at the volume knob
https://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-am-fm-wb-us...-1198.html

Plain Jane - looks pretty nice... $209 MSRP
https://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-heavy-duty-am-fm-cd-stereo.html

Here's a link to a good spec page for the unit with a CD player, model #JHD36A
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Stereos/Jensen/JHD36A.html

Not heavy duty but simple with BT, CD and two knobs:
https://www.amazon.com/ASA-JDVD1500-AM-FM-Radio/dp...;psc=1[/b]

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Is there a CD player unit that doesn't break the bank and can fit without heating/crushing the heater box? Just getting the metal V out of the way
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

It turns out there are a few Jensen HD options. Interestingly, they don't list a CD version on the Jensen site.

It's weird that the JHD36A doesn't show up in their overview, but the CD version is on their site. Maybe they're not that interested in selling it or their web guy is inept.

Here: https://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-heavy-duty-...tooth.html

MSRP shows for $423 there

It's $249 at Crutchfield here:

ProspectiveOwnergon: Not sure what your "doesn't break the bank" budget is, but this is a good option for retaining CD capability and getting Bluetooth, hands-free phone operation (with optional microphone), weather channels, etc.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

At the totally opposite end of the spectrum...

I was on a road trip in my Eurovan this week, and frustrated with the old stereo's bluetooth not connecting with my phone.

So I swung into WalMart and bought this thing. Sound is fine by me, though not spectacular. I'm not really sure what speakers are in there, other than newer than OG.

But, bluetooth connected and I was able to easily listen to podcasts along the way! It's certainly cheap enough to give a try!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Electronics-XDM17B.../223451013

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

a good separate amp can solve a lot of sound quality problems in cheesey head units

once you have music ripped to FLAC (CD quality) you just need a decent DAC and pre-amp in the head unit
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

That's probably true. But when traveling, I'm listening to 90+ percent podcasts, so music quality isn't a concern.

Ease of connecting to my phone, is.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mterpstra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Hey all,
I picked up a Jensen Heavy Duty radio based on the recommendations here. I pulled the PO's stereo and have questions (my first foray into wiring). Detailed post here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

I could use your experienced eyes on this.
Thank you!

Mike

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I think I've been looking for a replacement head unit for years. I have a single din Boss with a double din touch screen. The screen allows me to use my back-up cam on the head unit screen but the rest of the Boss device is not awesome (touch screen is grumpy, it looks cheap with lousy resolution, etc.).

If I felt like spending $450 I'd install the Blaupunkt Bremen because it looks great and offers the modern BT features...but I don't feel like spending that much. The Jensen commercial units look decent but are still $250. The Continental (orange screen)/VDO (blue screen) units mentioned here look good but I'd need to add a line out converter ($30, one more component) to convert the signal to send to my amp.

Marine radio design criteria doesn't seem to require a million tiny buttons and ugly screens soI've been looking there. The leading candidate is this MB Quart BT head unit. It's not hideous, it has only nine regularly shaped buttons and a big plain bluish-white screen and it has pre-amp outputs! At $130 I may order one soon.

- I only wish it had a rotary knob for the volume control.
- It is a marine radio so apparently it doesn't come with the din sleeve and may need screws or 3M VHB tape to secure it.
- According to the Mb Quart site it has a Weather band radio but Crutchfield doesn't mention that.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_049MDR20/MB-Quart-MDR2-0.html?tp=96441

An unrequired/unexpected bonus is that it's the same brand as my MB Quart speakers and amp.

Abscate wrote:

howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Hi all, I got the jensen JHD1635BTB and I'm having trouble installing the sleeve. What does it actually mount to?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I finally installed the MB Quart marine radio (sold for boats, no marine specific radio functions other than being "waterproof").
- Bluetooth connection for streaming music but it doesn't have a mic so no phone calls which is fine for me.
- Mechless so it's about 3" deep
- Doesn't come with a mounting sleeve (it's designed to screw in) so I just used the sleeve from the previous radio.
- Simple button and screen layout
- This wasn't important but it's MB Quart (a once great German audio brand, since trashed by Rockford-Fosgate among others) so it matches my German-made MB Quart component speakers (at least in name).
- Wish it had a knob for volume and tuning but that's a small price to pay for a head unit that isn't hideously ugly (the Blaupunkt Bremen is a higher price to pay).

I've been swapping electronics frequently (usb plugs, head units, rear view cams, etc.) so I cleaned up the wiring and added a busbar that has four flavors of power: always hot, key-in hot, key-on hot and dimmable dash lights. This should make it easier to add/delete/experiment with stuff).

Abscate wrote:

Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Jimf909,
That stereo looks super clean, especially compared to the laser lightshow that is my Kenwood.
How dim can it go while playing tunes?
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
Hi all, I got the jensen JHD1635BTB and I'm having trouble installing the sleeve. What does it actually mount to?

All the sleeves (all the brands I've seen) just mount to the perimeter of the rectangle hole in the dash. They come with an assortment of bendable metal tabs on the top, bottom, left, and right built into the sleeve. Just bend the tabs out around a portion of the edge of the hole. Not all the tabs, just the ones with the right size/placement for the thin sheet metal hole. I usually bend over about 8 tabs. Remarkably secure given what seems a flimsy way to mount something like this.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I've been swapping electronics frequently (usb plugs, head units, rear view cams, etc.) so I cleaned up the wiring and added a busbar that has four flavors of power: always hot, key-in hot, key-on hot and dimmable dash lights. This should make it easier to add/delete/experiment with stuff).

Nice location for the busbar!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Rorke wrote:
Jimf909,
That stereo looks super clean, especially compared to the laser lightshow that is my Kenwood.
How dim can it go while playing tunes?
Rorke

I'll have to check at night. During the day it's slightly visible. I don't believe it has dimming capabilities. If it's too bright at night I'll try to put a piece of smoke colored static vinyl over it.

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

erste wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

It was one of those things where I pictured it everywhere but there. Then as I was checking clearance with the cover and I looked at that vacant space and said voila! There's nothing but a lot of space there that's hidden but easily accessed.

Abscate wrote:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
erste wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

It was one of those things where I pictured it everywhere but there. Then as I was checking clearance with the cover and I looked at that vacant space and said voila! There's nothing but a lot of space there that's hidden but easily accessed.

I thought the same as erste when I saw it. I was planning on installing a little fuse panel under the primary fuse panel, but very little space there. I think I'll now install it under this panel. Complicated by the Syncro diff-lock panel in the way, but that's still a good spot. Nice job!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Can you explain how this busbar works? Do you hop off the main panel for dc services that already are "always hot, ign-hot, keyed-hot"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: