Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Stereo Suggestions Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
Can you explain how this busbar works? Do you hop off the main panel for dc services that already are "always hot, ign-hot, keyed-hot"?

I primarily re-routed oem wires. Here are descriptions based on a faulty memory (some of this occurred over the winter):

- Hot, always on: there are two red wires that run to the radio, possibly the lighter and the glove box courtesy light. These wires were re-routed to the bus. There's a third wire I joined with them that brings current back to the dash cluster for the clock. I don't recall how that one joined the hot before disassembly but VW had some daisy-chaining of wires going on. Experts can correct me.
- Hot, key-in: this is picked up at the ignition switch (I believe grey with a black stripe). Previously, I used that to power the radio with the key-in but not in the on position. That wire is now dead b/c I believe my ignition switch is faulty. While GW recommends powering the radio through that switch https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/23361/stereo-keyed-power-toggle-kit- experienced sambanistas like tencentlife recommend using the key-in switch to trigger a relay to power larger loads. For now, I'm not using this.
- Hot, key on: this comes from the unused three prong plug (found in later model vans and explained here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9412151 and here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7060158). I believe I read this plug was unfused so I added an inline fuse. Key on power can be found at the fuse box as well.
- Hot, dash lights: this is the grey wire with blue stripe that may have gone to the cig lighter or radio? I can't say I know what to do with this but gauges often use this to dim the gauge backlight when the headlights are on (I have a trans oil temp gauge already tapped into this circuit)
- The brown ground came from an oem ground wire that connected to a few oem items in the dash like the cig lighter, etc.

After that re-routing, I ran several usb sockets (glove box, dash where the cig lighter was) and the radio to the busbar. The intent is to wire low current modern electronics through this so the wires and fuses should handle any loads, i.e. this is no place to connect a horn or amp.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Rorke wrote:
Jimf909,
That stereo looks super clean, especially compared to the laser lightshow that is my Kenwood.
How dim can it go while playing tunes?
Rorke

I'll have to check at night. During the day it's slightly visible. I don't believe it has dimming capabilities. If it's too bright at night I'll try to put a piece of smoke colored static vinyl over it.

Hmmm, first time seeing the radio at night it looks bright to me. I prefer the warm glow of the incandescents of the gauges, not the bright white of the LEDs in the climate controls (an experiment with LED dash lights) and the radio. The radio is the brightest of the bunch.

I mentioned smoke colored static vinyl to apply to dim it but I've also used photo gels to warm light form LEDs and I may experiment with that too to warm it up. Not ideal but I truly disliked the crazy, illegible light shows of many head units.

Photo gels to filter or dim light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYHVAK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I've also used VHT Smoked Taillights spray paint to dim unnecessarily bright screens/leds.

I don't see an orange wire https://mbquart.com/mdr2-0/ here, that is usually the illumination wire, so no luck with auto dimming. It may have a menu setting to reduce brightness though.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

^^^ Thanks for the suggestions. It does not have a setting for brightness. First I need to drive it at night to see if it's bothersome. Driving after dark will be mor difficult in the coming months given the summer sunshine.

Abscate wrote:

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Boy that Blaupunkt looks like the winner to me.
Spendy but it's perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I like the modern BT and the light choices, plus it just looks right at home without all the bling.

S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
I like the modern BT and the light choices, plus it just looks right at home without all the bling.

I would really like to find an excuse to buy one of those.

My preference if the price was no objection would be
1) Porsche Classic with carplay $1300
2) This Blaupunkt $600
3) Continental $200

For my newest van... we did this...

... and I would avoid this one. It works, it's minimalist, but the app is always trying to take over my phone. My wife refuses to use it.

jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

S4VAGE wrote:
jAndrew wrote:

I would really like to find an excuse to buy one of those.

My preference if the price was no objection would be
1) Porsche Classic with carplay $1300
2) This Blaupunkt $600
3) Continental $200

For my newest van... we did this...

... and I would avoid this one. It works, it's minimalist, but the app is always trying to take over my phone. My wife refuses to use it.

I got a pretty good deal on it- $400 +-. I have an Alpine with wireless carplay in another vehicle and it is sweet but needs the double DIN space.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

The Continental is a darn good looking radio and was a contender for me but I needed outputs to go to an amp and didn't want to add a converter.

If things go as I expect, I'll spend Bremen $ on alternatives and then finally decide to spend the Bremen $ on the real deal. Crying or Very sad Shocked Cool

Abscate wrote:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
If things go as I expect, I'll spend Bremen $ on alternatives and then finally decide to spend the Bremen $ on the real deal. Crying or Very sad Shocked Cool

I apply this line of thinking to all aspects of my life. Neutral
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

jAndrew, where were you able to find one of those for $400? The continental with a harness is $300 so the one you have would be great deal at that price
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

S4VAGE wrote:
jAndrew, where were you able to find one of those for $400? The continental with a harness is $300 so the one you have would be great deal at that price

It was from a local guy who decided he wanted something different and return window had lapsed. New in the box.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:

I do have the same.
But my radio reception is poor. There is some strange antena on the car as well as active receiver booster is on the way to me.

Other than that it looks good.

Oh and when connecting iphone it feels slow
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I just installed a low-end Blaupunkt “Beverly Hills” model radio and replaced the aging 5.25” speakers in the front doors with Pioneer two-ways. (Note: The stock location in the door upper corner requires a low profile grill). Has all the features we need (BT, remote, CD, USB, etc.). Also has RCA jacks if we decide later to “amp it up”. Used the Bentley manual to figure out the eight OEM speaker wires and done!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

I got notification that crutchfield has the Blaupunkt Bluetooth retro style radio in stock again but $500+ is way too much for the reported wonky Bluetooth implementation controll in reviews.

So, I ran across this for $170ish...
"Amazon.com: VDO Continental TR7412UB-OR European Style 12v Radio Orange Display Bluetooth: Electronics" https://www.amazon.com/VDO-Continental-TR7412UB-European-Bluetooth/dp/B08D2R48HZ

This looks pretty sweet to me. Amber light for bmw guys and blue for Porsche guys..
I guess I'd go with blue...

Has it been mentioned here yet ? There's also a version with CD slot.
Oh ! Yes it has !
@S4VAGE, how do you like it ? I've seen one on ebay that has the VDO logo and not "Continental"
I'd be happy changing music via the phone screen and using the head unit as a pass through more or less. I don't expect to see much talking on the phone while driving..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
The Continental is a darn good looking radio and was a contender for me but I needed outputs to go to an amp and didn't want to add a converter.

Are you saying you want dedicated pre amp output ? What's the diff ? Concidering the sound quality built in to the files I have on my phone I'm not sure if really fussy sound quality matter a lot to my near 60 year old ears inside the 35 year old vehicle..
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Are you saying you want dedicated pre amp output ? What's the diff ? Concidering the sound quality built in to the files I have on my phone I'm not sure if really fussy sound quality matter a lot to my near 60 year old ears inside the 35 year old vehicle..

Yes, I was looking for a unit with a dedicated pre-amp output. I've got an amplifier under the driver's seat that requires a pre-amp signal. I was very close to buying the Continental but I'd need to add converters to take the speaker level input and convert it to a pre-amp output. NOT a big deal, but that's another $25 and another little box floating around behind the dash so I skipped it and got a head unit with the outputs.

I agree that sound fidelity in a windy old box at 60 mph doesn't require a lot of fussing and I don't listen to a lot of music while driving. I do have a separate amp and component speakers and crossovers and I appreciate the setup for the occasional listening sessions sitting in the back seat while camping. Not a daily event but it's nice to have occasionally.

Abscate wrote:

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Jim ! I have an amp too but don't know what it requires for input.
Once I'm on the road again it'll be time to change up what I have but the VDO unit looks to be the best option for me now.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

^^^ If the amp has RCA input jacks it most likely needs a pre-amp input. if you eventually include it a converter like this will convert speaker level inputs to pre-amp:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-y01AH3J00wj/p_20646K...EkQAvD_BwE

]

Abscate wrote:

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Nice ! Thanks !
It's an old haffler amp I got used.
I have a Dr. Crankenstein too but I don't know if it works. Couldn't resist that name.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: