Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

doghouse do's and don'ts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: doghouse do's and don'ts Reply with quote

hi guys ,

almost finished on the bodywork,

started on the engine, i was thinking about getting some nice chromed tins,

some say don't get the chromed doghouse, what do you guys think if it comes to engine dress up?

my engine is pretty much stock 1303, got a new aircleaner though (K&N).

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO chromed engine bays are gaudy (esp in VW's). Chromed engine bays went out in the '80's but it's your car, do it up the way you like it best.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love chrome,

i even chromed parts of my bike the world would never see!

even got a special chromed wii (nintendo) just bought it cause it's chromed, i don't actualy have time to play Razz

hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just worried about the cooling issues , some say the chromed tins don't cool very good.

Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the worst things about todays chrome aftermarket VW. parts is it rusts in like 5 mins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobbybob517 wrote:
i love chrome,

i even chromed parts of my bike the world would never see!

even got a special chromed wii (nintendo) just bought it cause it's chromed, i don't actualy have time to play Razz

Ah, then fill your boots!

http://air-cooled-vw-parts-search.mamotorworkstv.c...exterior/0
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one always starts heated debates.

The main reason you hear stuff like that is it's true but not for the reason people think.

It causes engines to run hot not because it's chrome but because the chrome tinware you buy is really shit quality. goes rusty inside, cracks apart, doesn't fit right etc etc etc.

tinware is only directing air, especially on the topside of the engine so it doesnt matter a shit what colour it is.

Different story with the rocker covers though, no air flow there so chrome can keep the heat in.

Many years back I had some original German OEM tinware chrome plated, because it fit and worked exactly like original head temp and oil temp were completely unchanged.
But I bet if i fit some of empi's finest chrome cylinder tins and shroud temps would go through the roof.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

The main reason you hear stuff like that is it's true but not for the reason people think.

It causes engines to run hot not because it's chrome but because the chrome tinware you buy is really shit quality. goes rusty inside, cracks apart, doesn't fit right etc etc etc.

tinware is only directing air, especially on the topside of the engine so it doesnt matter a shit what colour it is.

Different story with the rocker covers though, no air flow there so chrome can keep the heat in.

Many years back I had some original German OEM tinware chrome plated, because it fit and worked exactly like original head temp and oil temp were completely unchanged.
But I bet if i fit some of empi's finest chrome cylinder tins and shroud temps would go through the roof.
All that,, Plus the fact that aftermarket fan shrouds dont have the flaps.. unless you put in the work to fit them.. I'm with Joel dont do the chrome valve covers, instead you can polish A set of fined aluminum ones, thy well disapate heat faster.
yauchzee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

haha

1972 Super Beetle Convertible
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in another post if it does not run Chrome IT. Stock engine tins are far better then any chrome crap. A buddy had to cut fit, fit and cut to make his even come close. Not take the all of the stock tin and get it chromed that will be another story.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
deathroll77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome wont get you home.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest concern for your shroud is what all may be missing. If you look at a stock shroud, there are all kinds of vanes and deflectors to direct the air where it needs to go - I have seen aftermarket shrouds that were just a hollow box. Strongly suggest finding a good stock one and then do something cool with paint or powdercoat. I personally love the Rustoleum hammered rattle can paint. Having a good shroud is VERY important along with all the cylinder tins.

Valve covers have been debated to death. Personal preference is original OEM, (Yeah Glenn, you were right all along) but if I have clearance issues, I use Scat stainless clip ons.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
The biggest concern for your shroud is what all may be missing. If you look at a stock shroud, there are all kinds of vanes and deflectors to direct the air where it needs to go - I have seen aftermarket shrouds that were just a hollow box. Strongly suggest finding a good stock one and then do something cool with paint or powdercoat. I personally love the Rustoleum hammered rattle can paint. Having a good shroud is VERY important along with all the cylinder tins.

Valve covers have been debated to death. Personal preference is original OEM, (Yeah Glenn, you were right all along) but if I have clearance issues, I use Scat stainless clip ons.
I'm not going to argue with you on the shroud,, But I well say there are good ones out there! I run A "Old EMPI" chrome 36hp doghouse shroud. I got it in 1995 and it has all the guts!! other then the flaps, you need to drill all your own holes for them, but It can be dun Wink I know Joel has the same one I have, he has posted pics of the inside before so thy are out there if you look for them..
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no idea on the origin of mine but I suspect it's an old school scat one as there was a lot of old scat gear on the engine it came off.
It's very well built and has all the same deflectors inside as a stock German doghouse shroud.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
I've got no idea on the origin of mine but I suspect it's an old school scat one as there was a lot of old scat gear on the engine it came off.
It's very well built and has all the same deflectors inside as a stock German doghouse shroud.

Sorry Joel, I didn't mean you had A EMPI one,, I meant the one you have also has all the guts..
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx guys! keeping well away of the after market stuff, i'll go and get some crazy paint on my stock doghouse.

maybe get some gearwheels or something airbrushed on, bet that would look awesome!

vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobbybob517 wrote:
thanx guys! keeping well away of the after market stuff, i'll go and get some crazy paint on my stock doghouse.

maybe get some gearwheels or something airbrushed on, bet that would look awesome!
not all aftermarket stuff is bad!

Every one that has dual carbs raze your hands (hands up),
Just pay attention to what your getting Wink
100% factory parts is grate! on A 100% factory car.
Have you had dual carbs with A stock doghouse shroud? thy suck!!!!!!!! way to tight of A fit..
its funny the same guys that well yell and scream about the fan shroud well put EMPI brakes on there car and not give it A 2nd thought!
all the tin that you can see on my motor is chrome. never once has the tin left me on the side of the road Wink yes I had the trim it hear and there to fit, But I would have had to do A hell of A lot more work to git some of the stock stuff to work,, like the rear tin, the heater hose holes were in the wrong spots to work with my header, then there was the hole for the 'stove pipe' thats 3 big holes that I would have had to weld up and then cut two new ones, instead I got the chrome one with NO holes and used A hole saw to put them were thy needed to be Wink then you got the manifold heat risers that I dont have so thats more holes that would have had to be welded up.. So hay aftermarket stuff can be your Friend Wink
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw_hank wrote:

Sorry Joel, I didn't mean you had A EMPI one,, I meant the one you have also has all the guts..

It could be, I can't find any markings on it but its over 20 years old anyway.
It was on a hot motor built in the late 80s for an inexperienced driver with more money than sense.
Totalled the car naturally.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
vw_hank wrote:

It could be, I can't find any markings on it but its over 20 years old anyway.
It was on a hot motor built in the late 80s for an inexperienced driver with more money than sense.
Totalled the car naturally.

there's nothing that says mine is, no markings. I ordered it from So.Ca Imports back in 95 along with my wheels, Kadron carbs, Bosh Alt kit, 009 screamer kit, and half the car.. the shroud was just In A big box full of other parts filed with foam popcorn, Laughing I remember thinking it would have been nice if thy put it in A plastic bag so I didn't have to fight to git all that damn foam out of it..
the UPS driver got A workout that day Laughing
then finally in 98 I found A car to put the parts on!!
pdivizzle0112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always read that black radiates heat the best, thats why vw put black everything on the cars from the factory, including the valve covers...could be wrong though
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: