Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Perfect BBQ grill for Weekender Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Perfect BBQ grill for Weekender Westy Reply with quote

Check this out. I just wanted to share this little bbq grille. Its called Cobb grille approx. $139. Fits right under the jump seat of my weekender. It only takes 6-8 charcoal and burns for 2-3 hours. It takes little longer then normal to cook but boy the meat comes out fantastic everytime. It takes 3-4 times of using it to get a hang of it. I don't leave home without it when I go camping.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same grill that I take with me. You can also get some neat attachments to go with it.
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this a lot, nice design. Obviously for people who love to cook with charcoal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000GGTYIW...&img=1

and apparently not limited to the outdoors Shocked
[url][/url]
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice man ill have to pick one of those up. Smile
ddwbeagles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Where's the beef Reply with quote

Cool grill, but what the heck is that you have on it. Looks like thick slices of something that resembles jerky. Odd cuts and marlized to the extreme. Just curious Laughing ....and was wondering if a neighbor was missing their overweight cat or something.

71 Ghia Coupe autostick
78 Westy
86 Vanagon Weekender

hazetguy wrote:
i'm going to stock up on search buttons
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Where's the beef Reply with quote

ddwbeagles wrote:
Cool grill, but what the heck is that you have on it. Looks like thick slices of something that resembles jerky. Odd cuts and marlized to the extreme. Just curious Laughing ....and was wondering if a neighbor was missing their overweight cat or something.

lol, Smile

its korean bbq. Marinated beef ribs. There's a Korean Market near where I live that sells this meat for $4.99 lbs. its a great deal. If you ever come by O.C Ca. I'll cook some BBQ for ya. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks sooo good are you sure that not cat or dog hehe
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was pretty happy with my grill, but now jealous. Mine does store a lot smaller, but dang, that thing is cool. Might go broke on accessories though.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Very compact, if a bit pricy
Korean galbi (beef short ribs)is perfect for camp grilling.

But as a former US Forest Service fire fighter, I feel compelled to say, I REALLY hope you, or anyone else, do not make a habit of using any sort of fire on top of a thick bed of dry pine needles!!

And not be the Nervous Nellie here, but using any sort of charcoal indoors is carbon monoxide poisoning waiting to happen. Your fireplace may not be as well vented as you think it is.

Outside on a flame-proof surface is the best place for a grill like this.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This grill and other mentioned on this previous thread:

Best charcoal Grill - Use and Storage
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477866
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:

But as a former US Forest Service fire fighter, I feel compelled to say, I REALLY hope you, or anyone else, do not make a habit of using any sort of fire on top of a thick bed of dry pine needles!!

-CJ

Smile Pictures look deceiving, I was cooking at at a local park not at the forrest.

Yeah the accessories get little pricey. But worth every penny, I would buy another one if I ever lost mine.
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great setup! I definitely agree that charcoal tastes best.

I don't always have time to wait though, so I went for the MAGMA!

Fresh Coho Salmon! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Salmon, TriTip and Korean ribs, yum Reply with quote

I like all the grills. They vary, but all can produce great camping food.

The cobb and the pyromid both use the same 9 briquettes, and cost about the same.

My $5 pan grill uses 25 briquettes to make a single layer. I use 50 to cook a tritip, which takes about 40 minutes.. Im sure you could do a tri tip better in a covered grill... hmmm note to self, find a wok lid in 12" diameter..

the propane grills are all great, and have the advantage of not leaving briquettes to dispose of safely

I had a chance to enjoy a Tri Tip presslab cooked on his Webber Q, which is an excellent unit made of thick metal, with a lid.. This is a larger grill than the cobb, pyromid or $5 pan

there is also a pyromid clone called the EcoQue.
http://www.outdoorchefstore.com/products/ecoque-portable-12-stainless-steel-grill

They make similar claims as the cobb, with the advantage of the pyromid design being that it stores flat.. the cobb is a bit bulkier

I think it would be fun to have a few van events to test out various grills.. Anybody want to have a meetup.. VanGrillORama?
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree all the grills are pretty cool. One thing that sets the cobb grill apart is you can grab the side while its cooking and move it to your table. The side mesh is cool to the touch while cooking, this means you can move the grill right in the middle of where ever your eating. Plus you can put beer, wine, water around the moat which makes the meat real juicy.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> makes the meat real juicy.

Im on my way over, is it ready yet? When did you say the VanGrillORama was being held? Twisted Evil

I actually like the cobb a lot, if I was in the mood to buy another grill.. I like the shape better than the pyromid

thanks for posting.. especially the food pics <insertemoticonfor Hungry!>

for sake of comparison, if you had to cook a whole 3 pound tritip in a cobb, how many briquettes would you need, and how long... it sounds like it cooks slow and low?
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> makes the meat real juicy.
for sake of comparison, if you had to cook a whole 3 pound tritip in a cobb, how many briquettes would you need, and how long... it sounds like it cooks slow and low?

Start cooking it before the surf session, come back out chill out then bam there you go. Smile

Seriously probably 3-4 hours. (not exactly sure) Start with about 8 briquettes and add maybe one or two more.

if your ever down this way john, i'm gonna have to hook you up with som korean bbq. Smile
JXG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: the picture with the Magma BBQ right by the Syncro gas fill.
I question having such a heat and flame source so close to the gas fill. Does this cause anyone else concern?
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: charcoal Reply with quote

I no longer use a charcoal grill - i used to and loved it. I, however, have succumbed to the lure of a gas grill - actually the left side of my stove is a grill. Works really well. When i did use charcoal briguettes, as I did for about 30 years, I had a couple of little routines that may be of interest to some.
1. Lighting the briguettes - I used a juice can, top and bottom removed and then holes punched all around the side at the bottom with a can opener, about a 1/4 sheet of crumbled newspaper in the bottom, the briquettes on top of the newspaper, light the newspaper and within about 5 minutes all of the charcoal is ready to use. Lift the can off with a pair of pliers and begin to grill. No chemicals, no odour and really quick.
2. When you're through cooking with the briquettes, if you pick a briquette up with a pair of tongs and plunge it into a pail of water, hold it there for about 2 seconds then remove it and set it aside, it will steam away and dry out. Repeat for all of your briquettes, you'll be amazed at how little actual charcoal was actually used, when they've stopped steaming, drop them back into your bag of briquettes and they'll be ready to use next time.

Last edited by J Charlton on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JXG wrote:
RE: the picture with the Magma BBQ right by the Syncro gas fill.
I question having such a heat and flame source so close to the gas fill. Does this cause anyone else concern?

I thought it was a good answer to the question of if you need your bumper to wrap around the corner. Wouldn't scare me, if you're in CA you've had the integrity of your gas cap checked.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the tip about reusing steamed charcoal, thanks..

you grill inside your van?

> if your ever down this way john, i'm gonna have to hook you up with som korean bbq.

I do occasionally brave the belly of the beast (LA traffic), to reach my grandchildren in San Diego (the jaws of the beast)..

lets do a VanGrilleOrama somewhere sane, like Little Caliente Hot Springs behind Santa Barbara or something Twisted Evil

or the free camping in Big Sur.. yeah, come up to Big Sur with the BBQ! Hows the weekend of sep 17th for you?Smile, or next, or next, or
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: