Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock 69mm FORGED crank
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Stock 69mm FORGED crank Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding a stock 1600 and might need to replace the crank. The case is being line bored and thrust cut. The #3 rod bearing is damaged and most likely the crank will need to be replaced. I did some looking on the web and only found cast stock VW cranks and forged CW 8 dowel or strokers.

I'm looking for a stock VW forged "non-cw" 4 dowel crank. Even one that's been turned should be OK. I'm just trying to keep the cost down for a friend who was hoping to get away with only a top end rebuild but as you know, when you start peeling the onion back you find all sorts of other problems. The bottom end had bearing that we ready to go at any moment.

Any suggestions where?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got you covered Glenn. If you show at Flanders you can pick it up free of shipping charges. Email me at the email below.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long ways away but I'm sure Jose at DPR could help you too. Glad to see you're staying with forged though.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
A long ways away but I'm sure Jose at DPR could help you too. Glad to see you're staying with forged though.

I checked them and while they only list CW and 8 dowel, i'm trying to get away a bit cheaper.

RockCrusher wrote:
Got you covered Glenn. If you show at Flanders you can pick it up free of shipping charges. Email me at the email below.

RC

Paul, I'll let you know when we get closer to Flanders. The machine shop doesn't do cranks so I just need the final word from him than it's not fixable in his shop. I'll call before and if I need one, we'll workout the details.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
k5carrillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my stock 4 dowel from DPR not long ago, Glenn.

Their website still shows stock cranks....$105 as of a few minutes ago. Did you miss it on the website, or did Jose say he was out of them?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

must of missed it.

Yup, saw 40hp and didn't see 1600.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a used 1600 4 dowell STD MP crank that shows the VW stamp Logo between #1 and #3 journals.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
I have a used 1600 4 dowell STD MP crank that shows the VW stamp Logo between #1 and #3 journals.

It's possible that it's cast.

so far Paul (RC) can save me on deliver to the Flanders show.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that this just came up. I've been doing an inventory of my used German forged 69mm cranks and I'm pretty sure I have more than I can sell in my lifetime. I've got 20 cleaned up and ready to grind. They will range in size from 10/10 to 40/40. Price will be $129 outright for a 10/10 and go down $10 per size. Let me know if you(or anyone else) is interested.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My STD crank has a small stamped VW logo while another 10/10 MP has a larger VW logo stamped between #2 and #4 journals. Not sure what plant they came from.

Both cranks along with a 69 C/W and 82 STD are 15-20 yrs old that have sat nice and clean in a back bedroom.
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cranks I have are good used perfect journal cranks or I just sell them to the scrap yard. Not worth sending them out with the price of new cranks. $50 each

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sell you a std/std german 1600 one for 40 bucks plus shipping

been for sale for 5 years, the locals just won't buy the dam thing
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stock 69mm FORGED crank Reply with quote

How can you tell a forged crank and a cast one any telltale marks? When did VW stop using forged cranks?I think my 1915 engine is a bored out stock mexicrate.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stock 69mm FORGED crank Reply with quote

fuguboy wrote:
How can you tell a forged crank and a cast one any telltale marks? When did VW stop using forged cranks?I think my 1915 engine is a bored out stock mexicrate.

Diggin' up an old one here.

Stand the crank up on end. Whack one of the cheeks with a 13mm closed end wrench. If its forged it will make a nice long ringing sound. If its cast, it will make a short dull thud.

Forged cranks also have a wavy 3/8" or so parting line down the middle of the cheeks. A cast crank will have a sharp 1/8" parting line, and the cheeks will be much straighter with sharper corners.

Brian
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock 69mm FORGED crank Reply with quote

Is cast crank able to handle or worth building a mild 1915 ? Maybe W100 cam stock heads dual 40 hpmx?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock 69mm FORGED crank Reply with quote

fuguboy wrote:

I think only the made-in-the-Americas cranks were cast, none of the Euro stuff.

I like your analogy, Glen 010, it really is like an onion...the more you peel back, the more you cry! Laughing
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock 69mm FORGED crank Reply with quote

fuguboy wrote:
Is cast crank able to handle or worth building a mild 1915 ? Maybe W100 cam stock heads dual 40 hpmx?

I did a pretty hot 1915 with an old used cast crank that gets beat on every weekend, and it has been fine for 3 years and going.

Brian
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock 69mm FORGED crank Reply with quote

I got a real German STD/STD stock 69mm cross drilled crank. Free just pay shipping but I can get special airline rate shipping 75% off second day air to your door. PM if you are interested.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: