Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SAR 4X4 OHV Poker Run
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: SAR 4X4 OHV Poker Run Reply with quote

Might be fun to see some of your Syncros, ATVs, Motorcycles or whatever else you have at our 1rst annual OHV Poker Run benefiting our Garfield County Search and Rescue Team. It will be held on Saturday July 24th starting at 9:30 am. Western Slope of Colorado. The west end of the Flat Tops near Meadow Lake. The Flat Tops are North of Glenwood Springs/New Castle. Post any questions and I will reply ASAP. It is an 18.8 mile ride through some of the most beautiful country in Colorado.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally got to attend this event. We wanted to go last year, but they had to cancel due to the fires. Really fun event, held in one of the most scenic areas in Colorado.

If you're not familiar with the whole Poker Run concept, I wasn't until this weekend, you draw a card at one of five stations set up along the 19 mile trail. The person with the best hand at the end, wins. In this case $300.

The trail was fun. Not too difficult. There was one creek crossing that had me a little nervous. There was a Jeep in front of me that struggled a little bit getting up the steep, muddy bank on the other side. I figured if a Jeep was slippin and slidin trying to get up the bank, a Vanagon would have a really hard time. To my relief, the van made it up it without too much problem. Good thing. I didn't feel like getting wet and muddy first thing in the morning.

We were lucky to have ASIsyncro(Bryan) guiding us. This area is his backyard, and he knew an "extra credit" trail that we could take that would take us to the top of Blair Mountain. Cool trail that led to a bluff that was covered in wild flowers and overlooked a couple pristine mountain lakes. I posted some pictures in the "Vans in the Wilderness" thread.

Anyway, it was a great weekend with some great people. Just want to say thanks again to Syncronicity(Tom & Juanita) and ASIsyncro(Bryan & Ginny), four of the nicest people you'll ever meet, for showing us their neck of the woods. I highly recommend you put this event on your Vanagon bucket list.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: