Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power drop and stall
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 7:21 am    Post subject: Power drop and stall Reply with quote

I know there are a lot of posts about similar issues, but none of the ones I've seen seem to match what I'm dealing with. I want to lay out my specific scenario and see if there's a consensus on what the issue is.

The issue:
I took my 6v 1960 Beetle out a couple days ago. It was running perfectly. Drove a few miles, turned it off for about 10 minutes, then started making my way back home. Still running perfectly, I'm running at 40-45 mph in 3rd gear for a minute or two when all of a sudden the engine shuts off. I noticed no loss of power prior. I came to a stop and tried to start it several times, but all it would do is crank.

I left it untouched for a few minutes and tried it again. This time is started up and seemed to be fine. I got back on the road and drove about a block before I noticed a power drop. I downshifted to 2nd and started to turn a corner and it stalled again. Same thing. Cranked, but wouldn't start. I decided to tow it home from there.

Additional context:
    - I replaced the coil in August of last year. Not a $70 coil, but a new coil nonetheless. It was a $17 coil from Advance Auto.
    - Within the last maybe 4-5 months, I've rebuilt the carb and fuel pump and they've been doing great since. At the same time, I de-rusted the tank and have confirmed that it hasn't started rusting again. I also put a new fuel filter on and it's pretty clear.
    - Within the last year, I replaced the spark plugs.
    - The battery doesn't seem to be an issue, but I haven't tested it other than knowing it still starts the car without any trouble.
    - Last weekend, I replaced the fuel line. There are no leaks and the car seemed to be absolutely thriving with the new line (maybe my imagination).
    - There was plenty of fuel in the tank and I confirmed last night that the fuel lever (to the tap) is installed correctly.

So a lot of what I'm seeing on other people's posts is "your fuel pump could be dirty" or "your coil could be bad" or "you need to clean your gas tank and blow out your fuel line." Considering everything I listed above, the only thing that makes sense to me is maybe the coil is junk and gave out. Everything else has been addressed pretty recently.

What do you all think?

[EDIT: May not matter, but this is a stock 1200 36hp motor.]
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Power drop and stall Reply with quote

Another thing I should mention is that I just adjusted the valves about 2-3 weeks ago. Saw a significant improvement in performance after that.
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Power drop and stall Reply with quote

You may have a condenser going bad or the gap on the points are almost closed up. As soon as it quits, leave the key on, pull the coil wire from the cap & check for spark. You could rotate the engine by hand to do this, but you may feel safer using a buddy to crank it. Try to use the coil bracket as the ground for testing . Just thoughts...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: