Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yarded out the Syncro Trans and then off to see Gary Zink
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SL12572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Gary doesn't mind, but considering he lists prices on his website...My transmission rebuild was $1270.00. My transmission had 200k miles on it and required some additional parts, above and beyond a normal rebuild, which was shown/explained to me in detail as I watched the teardown.

This did include all new german bearings, updated slider hub, SA oiling plate,etc. The warranty is 2 years on parts. 2 years on labor.

I was hesitant at first to have a shop that isn't advertised much by the Vanagon/Syncro crowd do the rebuild, but when I showed up at his shop, I threw out some questions specific to the Syncro transmission, which he could easily answer and was very knowledgable about it.

I believe that the price is reasonable due to the fact that he operates his shop at his house, and his primary business is doing wholesale transmissions. He has contracts with lots of the well known VW repair shops around washington.

So far I have put 1000 miles + on it with no problems.

I know it sounds like I work for him, but I found Gary to really care about his customers and the quality of the product in the end. If I was to have one complaint, it would be that the transmission case wasn't shiny and new looking after the rebuild. It was clean though.

I don't think you will go wrong getting your transmission done at any of the big names (AA, German Transaxle, Rancho), but for me, Gary was 30 minutes from my house, he tore down the transmission while I was there asking way too many questions, and was very reasonable in cost. Will I do business with him again? Definitely.
AA Transaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Yarded out the Syncro Trans and then off to see Gary Zink Reply with quote

In my humble opinion, there IS a real world difference or I would charge the same as Gary does. I have known him for years and he is a very nice guy. We do however do thing a bit different.
Stories aside, I value my time more than some and still charge less than German Trans or GOWesty for any other full time builder. If this was a hobby, I might think differently, but its been my livelihood for the last 15 years.
I have a real hot water parts washer, wash the trans before starting to dissassemble, can tell if a housing is bad by how it comes apart when its at 160 degrees, use all new German bearings and seals and factory synchro's, rebush the 1/2 relay lever so first wont pop out from its wobble, rebush the gear carrier housings to prevent the mainshaft from loosening so quickly and have the option of a mainshaft retainer install plate to prevent it from beating up the granny/rev housing (requires a milling machine), and I always use the upgraded 3/4 hub on every one.
I build my own de-couplers, rebush my own main cases, etc on site.
Its all in the details my friends. Not to say I am better than anyone else, but I truly give a damn about these creatures we drive or I wouldnt still be in the business after 40+ years of it.
My syncro rebuilds have stayed the same price for the last 12 years, even though parts have become scarcer and more expensive.
As it says on my web site, The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a lower price...Not always true, but worth thinking about.
Use whoever you feel comfortable with to do your work, feel free to cll me with questions and good luck regardless...
86 Syncro Westy w/Turbo Zetec in the trunk
90 Doka Tristar w/2.5 Subie
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads like this usually are followed by website changes and price increases. Rolling Eyes
SL12572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier, you wont go wrong with any of the big names for the transaxle rebuild.

Daryl, it was nice meeting you at the VW show this last weekend. I appreciate the detail you put into your work and you obviously have a passion with it. Everyone speaks very highly of your work, including Gary.

Scott
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: