Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex under fridge
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

Ask Propex / Van Cafe for a 3/8" elbow fitting as replacement for the 1/4" elbow. They should have them, I stocked them when I was the distributor. Then you can bend the old fridge tube and cut to fit. Alternately, use a 1/4" x 3/8" Yor-Lok connector to adapt. These double-lock connectors work great for propane lines. https://www.mcmaster.com/5272K211/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DirtDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

I believe you just need a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter with compression fittings on each side.
mfw59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

I'm about to do this job myself, reusing the existing propane line/connection that the now-replaced Dometic fridge had used.

Anyone know what fittings (types? sizes?) are needed to connect the 1/4" copper tubing to the existing line?

Very similar to what is used in this picture: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/887642.jpg

Thanks!
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all the tips.

I had a TF49 that i installed earlier in the year and finally source a propex this month that I got Buslab to install last week. They told me that my fridge was a bit too low for good clearance.

Following this information and all your tips I remove the top metal trim from the fridge that I think is only cosmetic or for good air circulation (don't think so). This way the fridge is less than 21" so with the bracket and everything it has enough clearance. I had to cut the top of my trim to lift the fridge and add angle bracket for maintaining everything. I will have to remove the lower trim because it is not very useful or nice anymore. I wish I would have done the same thing.

I used aluminium tape out of caution but from what I hear it is not required. I still need to do the front trim and I plan to make a drawer on the right. but at least it is functional

No problem with the depth which was a problem before now nothing touch. I found the vancafe instruction to be the best out there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One question I reused the air vent in the back to install a 3D printed plate that include 12V and USB but interfere a bit with fridge. Anyone know a cigarette lighter type plug with connector with limited depth (including connector?
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

A more "out of the field of view" location from Gregg's Propex HS211 Install thread

WTGPhoben wrote:

Finally, I took a little different approach to the thermostat mounting. putting it next to the stove, as it was the most central location in the vehicle and routing the wires there while keeping them totally hidden was not too hard:

Route under bench - can do this without taking anything out and just shaving a little plywood in the driver's corner - then through a hole I drilled in the utility space between the water tank and the little cabinet.

Then through the little cabinet above the door and out a hole that's carefully drilled from behind the table pole into the fridge box right behind where the front panel connects. I had to separate the wires to get them to tuck in here.

Finally, bore a hole diagonally up into the stove area from the fridge area and a hole on the side panel.

Hopefully the heat from the stove will dissipate quickly enough after cooking that the temp will stay stable. The table pole clears in this spot, but if I did it again I'd probably move it 2" to the driver side.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=40

Certainly easier to remove and cover in a less noticeable way if that's what your after.

We mounted ours in the typical spot on the cabinets. Out of the way, tho kinda wish it was closer to reach from a warm bed to turn it on/up in the chilly AM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

A buddy installed his Eberspacher thermostat in the hole for the cigarette tray on the passenger wall of the back bench seat. Already a hole, you just have to figure out to fish the wire there Very Happy

baltik wrote:
Has anyone figured out a less intrusive spot to mount the propex controller rather than the ubiquitous spot on the Westy cabinet? was really hoping for something less permanent...

baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

Has anyone figured out a less intrusive spot to mount the propex controller rather than the ubiquitous spot on the Westy cabinet? was really hoping for something less permanent...
jsalkeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

Hey singler

How has this install worked out? I have truckfridge floormounted in the same spot but with a drawer above. I am going to install a propex and like this location for a lot of reasons Very Happy I'm wondering about the proximity of the fridge and if the propex operation has adversely affected anything heat-wise.

Thanks
85 Doka WIP
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

If that's all you can get, it should be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SambaHyena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

Hey Karl, the heater is mounted to the far left. I think the tank is the slightly larger one from that certain vendor. I was able to make a tighter bend in the pipe, so that now there's about a 1/4" clearance. Do you think this is enough?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

Did you mount the heater to the far left in the cabinet as others have? The pipe appears to have sufficient ability to bend it tighter as it exits the floor, to the right in the photo. Or - perhaps the tank is not an original Westy tank but one of the larger-but-not-correct tanks a certain vendor sells?
SambaHyena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

So I installed my Propex under my fridge as outlined in this thread. What worries me is that the exhaust flue pretty much touches my propane valve. I've run the heater for about half an hour to test, and it cycled off before the valve got too hot, but I'm still concerned. Anybody else have this issue? The tank is a GoWesty tank. I'm not sure if the valve is in a different location from stock.
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I did and 4" over from the left of the fridge wall, mine didn't have the wooden brace.

I just got to get the connector points from Westy Ventures for the 1/4".

singler3360 wrote:
rotaecho wrote:

Then going from the lip of the front of the fridge back appears to be 8.5"

I drilled a pilot hole at 8 1/8" and it came out almost perfectly.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

rotaecho wrote:

Then going from the lip of the front of the fridge back appears to be 8.5"

I drilled a pilot hole at 8 1/8" and it came out almost perfectly.
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

To better explain my questions, here's the modified photo:

So, to the left of the fridge wall to the exhaust / inlet center hole is roughly 4" to me, not 3.5"

Then going from the lip of the front of the fridge back appears to be 8.5" to me.

Just trying to get the proper point for the vector for the pilot holes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex under fridge Reply with quote

I'm installing the HS2000 under the fridge (CR49) similar to what MadSpaniard did on his install.

Although, there's measurements in this thread, I think it's still a bit unclear.

I have the larger GW Propane tank installed, and using the diagram/photo in the thread, I have two a questions:

1.) It measures 3.5" from the left side of the fridge cabinet, but that's against the wood shelf bracket for the original fridge not from the actual wall of the fridge cabinet from the photo provided. I have that wood block removed, so would the actual measurement be closer to 4" from the left cabinet wall?

2.) How far to go in from the fridge cabinet wood lip front. I see that measurement as 7.5" and then again as 8.5" and also 8 3/16" listed. If using the template against the lip, it comes out to 8.5" from the front of the fridge cabinet wooden lip towards the van wall to the center of the exhaust port.

Just trying to get actual confirmation on this before drilling holes.

Thanks!
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddler wrote:
buildyourown wrote:
I have an identical install with the 2 vents. I added the 2nd for makeup air. No, its not needed. Plenty of air back there.
I did just install a battery charger with a fan on it and they line up nicely. Good space to let go to waste.

I'm not sure what to do with the space to the right of the furnace. When I installed the fridge about two years ago I built a drawer underneath where I stored all of my electronic goodies, such as chargers, inverters, etc. That had to be removed for the furnace, and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to build a narrow drawer for the right side. If I design the face plate to come off easily, it would be simple to put in a divider next to the furnace and leave the space open so I could store things in there.

Excellent idea. A divider is necessary to deflect the heat coming off the Propex.
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
I have an identical install with the 2 vents. I added the 2nd for makeup air. No, its not needed. Plenty of air back there.
I did just install a battery charger with a fan on it and they line up nicely. Good space to let go to waste.

I'm not sure what to do with the space to the right of the furnace. When I installed the fridge about two years ago I built a drawer underneath where I stored all of my electronic goodies, such as chargers, inverters, etc. That had to be removed for the furnace, and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to build a narrow drawer for the right side. If I design the face plate to come off easily, it would be simple to put in a divider next to the furnace and leave the space open so I could store things in there.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
epaddler wrote:
Singler3360, I was curious why you added the second vent to the front of your panel. Is there not enough space under the fridge for the air return or were you planning to add something else under there that needed air flow?

I now believe the second vent is not necessary. I added it for no other reason than I thought it was necessary but I've seen plenty of installs in this location and under the bench seat without it.

Good luck with your install.

I installed mine under the fridge with only one vent for the heat output. Seems to work just fine with a minor modification. If I recall correctly, both the output and intake on the propex have short extensions protruding from the propex body. I installed mine very close to the facia board such that the extension reached through the board and to the grill. I did this so I would not have to run any piping between the output and the vent grill. Having the propex so close to the facia would have caused the intake to only have about a 1/2 inch gap. This seemed too close. The facia board is about 3/4" thick, so I thinned the back of the board near the intake giving about 1 inch of a gap for the intake. So the board is about 1/4 thick in a small area in front of the intake. Seems to make it breath a little easier. The other thought was to cut the extension off, but I didn't want to modify the propex itself.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: