Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Shift Box/Shifter tab questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brockmeeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Shift Box/Shifter tab questions Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I removed the shiftbox (which sits right above the spare tire) today and found a couple of things I need some advice on.

First, the shiftbox itself. As you can see in the image, there is a "rail" or "shelf" along the right-hand side. Along the left, there are three holes and a definite pattern of the sift tabs rubbing against the metal housing of the shiftbox.

My question: Bentley seems to indicate that there should be a "shift plate" where I have nothing but three holes. Am I correct in assuming my shift plate for this side has been removed for some reason? What is the purpose of this shift plate? When the van was drivable (just two months ago, I didn't seem to have any trouble shifting or finding gears, they all just seemed a little "loose" to me.

If so, what would you suggest I do to correct this situation?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The second picture is of my "shifter tabs." I bought the GoWesty shifter tabs kit to fix what I believed were shift tabs worn to the bare metal. But as you can see, only the right tab is bare metal; however, the left tab still has some of the original material left encasing it (though it's extremely worn down).

What would you suggest I do here? Try and pry the remaining material off the left shift tab, and then install the GoWesty kit as normal? Install the kit only on the right-hand side (where there's nothing but bare metal)? Or ???
2018 Ford Escape SEL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Shift Box/Shifter tab questions Reply with quote

Guessing early year van. From the factory the 3 holes supported a plastic type flat bushing. The bare metal tab road against it. Later vans did away with that and had a plastic tab on both ears. Don’t have them handy, but there are threads where members made their own. Might check VanAgain. He has a lot of the early shifter parts. In may gallery I posted years ago parts diagrams of both the early and later shifter. Im sure others will chime in. I don’t believe the second tab will fit your ear.
brockmeeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Shift Box/Shifter tab questions Reply with quote

Quote:
Guessing early year van. From the factory the 3 holes supported a plastic type flat bushing. The bare metal tab road against it.

It's a 1982 Vanagon, air-cooled.

You are correct: the bare metal tab is riding along the side of the shiftbox where it's metal on metal.

The GoWesty kit fits my van model (or so they say). It comes with two (3D printed) plastic tabs, one is bigger than the other to fit over the original corresponding tabs.

I've seen YouTube videos of this kit being installed ... but none of the YouTubers had to contend with material still left on one of the tabs.
2018 Ford Escape SEL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Shift Box/Shifter tab questions Reply with quote

Uniwerks has the early pad

https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/product/jounce-bumper-stop-buffer/
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
brockmeeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Shift Box/Shifter tab questions Reply with quote

Excellent! That's exactly what I need.

Many thanks for looking this up!
2018 Ford Escape SEL
brockmeeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Shift Box/Shifter tab questions Reply with quote

Just to follow up. I called GoWesty and asked them about installing their kit when part of the original material is still intact. They told me that I should pry off the old, worn plastic and install the new parts.

The pictures below show the original material still in place (which I subsequently pried off—not an easy task, mind you, while you're under the van). The original plastic tab has a plastic dowel in it that helps hold it in place. Snapping that dowel took some doing.

The second picture shows the original material removed and the replacement parts.

2018 Ford Escape SEL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: