Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much space do you need?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: How much space do you need? Reply with quote

Hello fellow Volkswagen scientists, at some point I hope to add more to this forum than asking questions but until then... I'm taking on the project of removing my 83 vanagon air-cooled engine. I have 6" wheel ramps I was going to use to back the van up on. How much space do I need so I have enough clearance to slide the engine out? I found several options at Harbor freight with different starting heights from the floor. I like this one because I can use it as a work bench. http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle...94822.html The thing that I'm worried about is with the stand all the way down,the top where the engine would sit once it is out is approximately 9" from the floor. So I've got 9" plus the engine height, would this clear the bottom of the van? Do I need bigger ramps?

Then I thought about a floor jack and a engine stand, but I really don't have anyone to help me out. How much does a 2.0 air-cooled engine weight?

I'm taking out the engine to address oil leaks.

Any input or other thread suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I did a search, but came up with mostly mechanical topics)

Many Thanks Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wareiter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: engine lift Reply with quote

somewhere on the forum are pictures of a lift a member made with a trailer winch and 2x4's. the 2x4's layed across the engine opening on top with straps going down to lift eyes on the engine. lower down, support transmission, undo bolts to transmission, wiggle engine off transmission, lower down to floor and slide out. The rear bumper has to be pretty high to clear the plenum, throttle body etc
I found the tough part working solo is lining everything up when putting back in. the more jacks and lifts and wedges the better to manipulate the angles and height. also, keep exhaust loose or not connected on front left cylinder.
engine stand makes working on engine much much easier because you can spin engine into easier orientation, harbor freight engine lift and engine stand
but, that lifting work bench would work.
http://waterboxer.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea was to use the bench from harbor freight to slide up underneath the engine, lower it onto the bench and slide it out. I just don't know if it will have enough clearance from the bottom of the van. I don't know the exact dimensions of the engine, specifically how tall it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hippiepilot wrote:
...I don't know the exact dimensions of the engine, specifically how tall it is.

Not as good as an actual measurement, but perhaps this will give you a rough idea:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hippiepilot wrote:
I don't know the exact dimensions of the engine, specifically how tall it is.

I would take a tape measure and measure from the uppermost point on your engine to the ground and then from the lowest point to the ground and do the subtraction to get engine height.

Measure the height off the ground of the lowest point of the body below the bumper to get the rear body clearance.

Determine the height of your jack, table, engine removal system.

Height of engine removal system + engine height - rear body clearance = amount you need to lift your vehicle for clearance.

You have all that information available to you and it will be specific to your vehicle. Smile

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this same question of Mr. Tencent a while ago, and here was his report:

Quote:

I did get the height measurements of the engine for you. Sitting flat on the floor, the top rim of the bellhousing flange is at 14". The top of the center plenum is at 17". Top of the breather tower is at 17.5". Hope that helps.

For what it's worth, I used a pair of Rhino-Ramps, which I think are either 6" or 8" tall, when I did my engine swap. I had no problem getting the engine under the bumper, while the engine was on the jack. I forget if I took off the plenum/intake runners though.

I too, hope that helps.

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinal Tap wrote:
I asked this same question of Mr. Tencent a while ago, and here was his report:

Quote:

I did get the height measurements of the engine for you. Sitting flat on the floor, the top rim of the bellhousing flange is at 14". The top of the center plenum is at 17". Top of the breather tower is at 17.5". Hope that helps.

For what it's worth, I used a pair of Rhino-Ramps, which I think are either 6" or 8" tall, when I did my engine swap. I had no problem getting the engine under the bumper, while the engine was on the jack. I forget if I took off the plenum/intake runners though.

I too, hope that helps.
yes it does thanks
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally did find some posts, Ben has a nice link on his site http://www.benplace.com/air_cool_vanagon.htm with pictures. The only thing that troubles me is he jacks the back of the van up using the engine carrier. Does this sound right?

Also found that the ratwell has a really good step by step process as well.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all four oem 14" on rhino ramps, dropped the engine down on a creeper, I was still needing about 2inches when sliding the engine out, so I lifted up the rear arms with two harborfreight 3ton jacks.

Process of replacement, used the same creeper with tranny mated, used a hoist once I got it in there, made it all very easy, bolted everything on, except left head coolant pipe, used 3 ratchetstraps (harborfreight) and used that as adjustment and attitude control while lifting into place.

worked out alright, did it myself.
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP, if you're worried, take off the intake manifold along with the intake runners and throttle body, power-steering pump (if so equipped), A/C compressor (if so equipped), and alternator. If you're a little bit brave, pull the distributor off too.

You'll be surprised how short and how cleverly packaged a boxer motor is.

Good luck.

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
trailnewt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can minimize clearance requirement by lowering the engine with an engine hoist and sliding it out from under the van with a piece of plywood in place of the floor jack. Drill a couple of holes through the plywood and attach loops of rope to it ahead of time to give you a better grip.
Brent
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: