Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do You Clean Your Engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roberth3850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Subaru engine and transmission. I separated the two and the inside of the bell housing was covered with what seemed like a quarter of an inch of the stickiest black powder (note to self, look hard at the clutch). Tried scraping all the little nooks and crannies with no progress. Inspiration struck when I saw the pressure washer sitting the garage. Glad I was wearing old clothes and had my glasses on. That crap went everywhere, mostly on me and refuses to come off. I have been hesitant to pressure wash the WBX, he is old and tired and I simply do not trust the wiring. It seems like borrowing trouble. Spray on what ever and gently rinse off.

Robert
'86 Westy
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a clean engine. Easier to work on. Easier to detect little leaks or other issues. I don't use a pressure washer or steam just cuz I've heard too many horror stories about damaging delicate electronic $h!t. I like the garden hose hooked up to the water heater along with one of the multi-function garden spray heads set to a gentlle spray. I don't have any oil leaks so it's mostly just dust and a little dirt, or sometimes mud from forest roads. It comes off of there easily.
'96 BMW R1100GS
stumpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Clean Engine Reply with quote

Confushes say Clean engine ---"Good"! Dirty engine ---"Bad"! Grease make Fire burn "Hotter"
Odd_Dutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is aircooled and with all the tin and rubbers in place it probably looks like a small pool when cleaning it with a hose.
But I dont have to worry about it for now, I took the engine and tranny out and cleaned/painted everything. It looks almoast new now Cool
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a clean engine. It just sets the mood to keep everything in tip top shape. It makes it easy to spot problems or leaks and fix them before they get major.

On a warm engine I will spray degreaser with a squirt bottle. Let it sit for awhile then hose it off. I try not spray directly at electrical connections. After rinsing I start it up and take if for a 1/2 hr. drive at highway speeds to dry it out well. Afterwards I might take a rag and wipe down the painted surfaces too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips - thanks!
Now I'm off to the junk yard to scrounge some hooter-clamps!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great timing on this post! I'm just now starting a multi-step process of cleaning out all the caustic Burning Man Playa dust from my engine bay.
Step 1: Shop Vacuum and dry brush out the big and easily reached chunks of dirt.
Step 2: Turn Shop Vac to blower mode, blow out more dust.
Step 3: High pressure compressed air blow, focusing on hard to reach areas and electrical connections.
Tomorrow: Step 4-??: Begin rinsing down engine bay with low pressure hot water. Multiple passes with soap, water, brushes and rags. I'm contemplating a pre-wash spraydown with a diluted Vinegar solution- helps to neutralize the high PH Playa dust.
I want to clear out as much dry Playa dust as possible before I get anything wet. Playa dust turns into lakebed clay/cement nearly instantly once moistened. Tenacious stuff!
I'll likely wind up detailing, regreasing (Dielectric) and replacing (if needed) every electrical connector.
My Van has been to more Burning Man's than I have. Seems to handle it well- as long as I give her some TLC and attention afterwards.
Joel
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the "keep it clean" camp on my vehicles. I learned a long time ago its easier and more fun to work on a clean motor than a dirty one. With electronics I'm reasonably careful to avoid blasting the crap out of the connectors. I haven't gotten my Vanagon as clean as I want it yet but I will.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Good tips - thanks!
Now I'm off to the junk yard to scrounge some hooter-clamps!

I may have a few extra hooter clamps photodave. What size are you looking for........ Laughing
S+L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Clean Your Engine? Reply with quote

What about Purple Power? Is there any known issue with using it on a Waterboxer?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Clean Your Engine? Reply with quote

My main concern with Purple Power (and Simple Green for that matter) would be not to let it sit very long on painted surfaces.

12 years later (since original thread) and still pretty clean...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Clean Your Engine? Reply with quote

I've been using this product for years with no side effects. Hot Shot Degreaser. Spray it on hose it off. Slight brushing on heavy soiled or built up grease. Use it on almost everything, even upholstery spot cleaning.

https://psdetailproducts.com/products/hot-shot-high-power-deg-cleaners-hd-cleaners
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: