Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Fuel line questions Reply with quote

74 Super Beetle
1. I need to replace the big rubber thing that goes around where the filler pipe connects with the tank. Anyone know what size that hose is? Or better yet, something else to put there because my old one got shredded when I tried to put it on.
2. I have all the braided lines running but I can't figure out how to run the two lines that connect to that long plastic bit, which then also has two lines coming off it. The exploded diagrams are just confusing me even more. If someone could take some pictures, I'd appreciate that.
3. I'm running a fuel filter between the tank and where it enters the body, and also where it exits the body and connects to the fire wall. WIll this cause any problems? I'm running dual carbs on a 1776. Should I put the filters elsewhere?
Thanks guys. Almost got this thin back on the road, just a few more things need doing.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I dont know the size off the top of my head.. But VW's not the only car to use that type of hose,, take the riped up one to the parts store and git A new one Wink
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this what you are talking about

[img]http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D311%2D201%2D219%2DA[/img]
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and is there something that goes in the fuel door around the filler, like a gasket or something? Mine is just kind of hovering there with a gap around it. It's not moving or anything, but it just looks really weird.
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea there is supposed to be a rubber gasket right there

You can buy one and put it in from the outside

Jerry
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/fuel-tank...le_306112/
So was wondering what all this stuff is? My car had a two inch hose go over when the filler connects to the gas tank. What are these little black things, and why is the hose so long?
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure- it has been so long since I had mine apart - and, I am in Seattle, but I have my car in Phoenix.
The part I thought you were referencing is not there in that link.
I thought you were talking about the larger rubber collar that goes between the neck and the body hole
I will check the net
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/fuel-tank...le_306112/
So was wondering what all this stuff is? My car had a two inch hose go over when the filler connects to the gas tank. What are these little black things, and why is the hose so long?

if you notice that kit fits 71-79 supers. some years use one long hose and some use two shorter ones, if your car uses the two short ones you simply cut that hose in two. the smaller hose you see in the pic are the rubber bands, you put them on first then the big hose gos over them, thy are A softer rubber and help the hose seal around the pipe better
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jerry, I was going over something else. MAM has the grommet you're talking about. I found this other product and was confused what it was. My car just had a single two inch rubber bit around where the filler connects with the gas tank. Saw the link and was wondering what the other stuff was and why the hose is so long.
Kind of confused though, because that hose looks way long and all I had was a short piece.
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this because I need help completing this diagram:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does this look right? I'm not running the charcoal canister in the back (new Chico Performance engine, he says not to), so excluded the lines under the car that goes there. I also think where I have the question mark also has to do with the charcoal canister, so would I plug that line?
This vapor recirculation system is so weird. Is it possible to just exclude the whole thing? Would I be missing out on recapturing ALOT of gas?
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, dont plug that.. leave it hocked up. thats the hose that gos to the charcoal canister. the best is to leave the the hose intact all the way to the rear of the car even if you dont have the charcoal can.. if you plug it the tank cant vent, if you leave it open like it is you well be venting into the car, so you need to hook up the hose going to the back of the car.. at the very lest put A hose on it and let it hang out under the car in front but you need to git A hose on it to vent outside the car
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, Hank. I'm guessing that the hose connects to the plastic line that runs to the back of the car, correct? I saw it on my neighbors but was confused where the line went.
EDIT: Now that I think about it, I always thought this was a closed system. As in it was just recirculating gas vapors back to the gas tank. Didn't realize that it was open and made to vent the vapors out.
I'd also appreciate it if someone could edit this to include how lines run if you do have the charcoal canister, for future reference to help the community.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
Got it, Hank. I'm guessing that the hose connects to the plastic line that runs to the back of the car, correct? I saw it on my neighbors but was confused where the line went.
Yes sorry I was going to say its A clear plastic hose. and it connects to A metal line that gos down the passenger side of the car and into the charcoal canister. I just left the hose unhooked in the rear fender
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
EDIT: Now that I think about it, I always thought this was a closed system. As in it was just recirculating gas vapors back to the gas tank. Didn't realize that it was open and made to vent the vapors out.
I'd also appreciate it if someone could edit this to include how lines run if you do have the charcoal canister, for future reference to help the community.
For your EDIT.. It is A closed system, that hose gos into the charcoal can were the fuel vapor is stored until you drive the car and at that point the vapor is sucked into the carb and burnt. you are disconnecting it and making it A open system by removing the charcoal can
j_sinon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: fuel line Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have a '69 that is going to be a racer. I want to run the fuel lines (yep, 2 of them) in the tunnel.

I remember that HotVW had an ariticle on this but I can't find what issue it was in. I believe that is was either June or July of 2009.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
billnye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the best place to put your fuel filter.
I keep gettin vapor lock when I hit the hill to hard
right now its like resting on the doghouse.
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put mine out of the engine compartment near the driver wheel - then a long line -- rubber
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: