Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Vegas wrote:
Thnaks for the info. Can you point me to the parts book title/link/publisher? I have the Bentley FM and I couldn't find the screw size in that.

Thanks again

http://oacdp.com/5867part.html
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

I know I've read somewhere (yes, I searched but couldn't successfully locate it) info on items unique to a 1967 only remote door lock mechanism inside the door at the rear edge. I guess the unique 1967 "remote lock mechanism" has a removable bent piece of steel that some call a "brace", and there is a left side and right side version of this one-year brace. Does anyone remember that thread discussion, and in particular, does anyone have a nice clear photograph of these 1967 only "braces" and how they are installed to the remote lock assembly and inner door? Maybe even why they are even needed in the first place on a '67 door?

On my to-do list is a teardown of my Jan 1967 cab doors, and one of my tasks is to remove the remote door lock assemblies, a clean-up, re-lubrication and then re-assembly of the doors. I'm hoping my "braces" are in there, but if not, I'd love to see what I'll be dealing with if someone can help us out with any description and photos. The part manual I have does not show or mention the "braces" or whatever they are called, or provide part numbers for these oddities.

Thanks afor any info you can provide!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

Quote:
and in particular, does anyone have a nice clear photograph of these 1967 only "braces"

ask and you shall recieve

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

they attach to the button side handle screw. The oval hole side sandwichs between the Mech and the inner door skin and are held in place when you tighten down the inner skin mech screw.

Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

Absolutely incredible response, great info on a one-year only detail, and great photos too! Thanks "volksheime" for the response!

I recently bought a L & R pair of these "braces" because I haven't had my doors apart since 1984 and don't know if those "braces" are even in my Jan 1967 doors. Your info will help when the time comes to clean/lube/service those locks!

Thanks!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

your welcome! Note when installing them, you need to leave the mech screws a little loose until you get all the screws started, otherwise the handle alan head bolt wont want to pass through the brace, door hole, and handle hole. get, em all started, then snug 'em all down. job done!
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

For the inner handle:

Quote:
Early Buses, up to 16 Mar. 1960 VIN # 584674 used a chrome handle with a rib down the center as seen below.

Does this include commercials?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
For the inner handle:

Quote:
Early Buses, up to 16 Mar. 1960 VIN # 584674 used a chrome handle with a rib down the center as seen below.

Does this include commercials?

Yes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

I believe the 67 mechanism was changed to prevent the door from opening when a bump allowed the u shape catch to come up and off the post . That happened to me in my 65 and without my friend grabbing the passenger grab bar he would have been out on the street in front of on coming traffic. As soon as I could I installed a 67 door mechanism as described by Everett.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

Sorry, i couldnt find it anywhere after a long search. I am trying to see the proper direction/placement of the interior door handles for the front doors as well as right hand side cargo door handles. Embarassed
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

Front interior door handles - Pointed toward 10-11 o'clock on passenger side, 1-2 o'clock on driver's side

Cargo door handles - straight up (12 o'clock) when closed

Examples:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

Here is an interesting one:

Fits both 221 837 206 and 211 837 206 A. Have not found in any of the parts manuals what the latter number fits....
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Front interior door handles - Pointed toward 10-11 o'clock on passenger side, 1-2 o'clock on driver's side

Examples:

for campers this is important since you can not lock the cargo doors from the inside on most buses. slip a zip tie over the handles at night.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Examples:

for campers this is important since you can not lock the cargo doors from the inside on most buses. slip a zip tie over the handles at night.

North of the border they call them zap straps.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

Hi

I'm trying to find a locking handle to match the existing locking handle so I can have key locks on both sides. My October '56 single cab's locking handle is coded 113 837 502, made by B.U.M. Is that a beetle-style handle?

The complete mechanism for a beetle handle looks different (different base and 'finger'). If I bought a beetle ice pick locking handle could I swap the handle on to the non-locking base and the finger actuator (the bit that engages with the mechanism)?

Pictures of the existing locking handle...

Thanks

Andy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

From the first post on this thread, I believe you want to use the 55-61 driver's side handle listed there:
211 837 205 B
for both sides.

I think 211 837 205 A is the same too, if you come across one of those.

The handle you have is a Beetle handle although I'm not sure what is different since I'm assuming it currently works.
It's possible it's actually a mixture of parts (base/hook/etc) so that while it has a Beetle part # on the pull out piece, other parts have been mixed and matched so that it works in a Bus.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
From the first post on this thread, I believe you want to use the 55-61 driver's side handle listed there:
211 837 205 B
for both sides.

I think 211 837 205 A is the same too, if you come across one of those.

The handle you have is a Beetle handle although I'm not sure what is different since I'm assuming it currently works.
It's possible it's actually a mixture of parts (base/hook/etc) so that while it has a Beetle part # on the pull out piece, other parts have been mixed and matched so that it works in a Bus.

Thanks Everett. Yes it works, although I find that I have to turn the key half a turn to unlock. I have to pull the handle to open the door, then turn the key the rest of the way, otherwise I can't lock it when I close the door. Maybe that's because it's the wrong handle.

I'd assumed it was correct, and another example of interchangeable parts between beetles and buses.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

I'd assumed it was correct, and another example of interchangeable parts between beetles and buses.

You can skip the assuming by accessing the VW dealer parts manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Lots of great exploded diagrams, with proper name/part number, and even lists from chassi number to what chassi number most parts were used. Very Happy
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

You can skip the assuming by accessing the VW dealer parts manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Lots of great exploded diagrams, with proper name/part number, and even lists from chassi number to what chassi number most parts were used. Very Happy

I had a look through OACDP and Easy e's '58 parts list. Wasn't sure if there was an omission.

When I got the truck it had one key that only worked the ignition. The ignition has been replaced and the key profile is wrong for the age of the truck, so that key definitely isn't the original.

My handle's base is coded, so I had a key made for that code. It works in the door, so I know that the the barrel matches the code on the base. The same key works the treasure chest lock. I thought that was unlikely to be a coincidence and figured that the cab handle must be original.

Given the number of repro parts used on the truck over the years, it seemed strange that, if the handle had broken, someone would go to the trouble of sourcing an original VW handle (albeit a beetle one) and putting it on the original base and re-using the old barrel or re-coding the beetle one to match the base?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door handles, recesses, and mechanisms Reply with quote

One of the cheap sleazy ways to recode a lock is to simply file down the brass wafers with key in the tumbler.

You would need to find the key code on the tool bay door latches to see if they match the driver door code.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: