Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disassembling an ignition lock cylinder
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Disassembling an ignition lock cylinder Reply with quote

I have a few lock cylinders that I'd like to rekey to match the rest my locks. The po kinda bypassed the stock switch with a lawn mower ignition under the dash and this is one of the last hokey things its like to put back right. I have no keys or idea how to further disassemble the lock.. I've used the ratwell info but it stops at using the coat hanger toool to remove the lock....that's where I'm at now.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
lost&out
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may help you... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312340&highlight=lock
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the steering pod off and in your hand read this

http://www.dolgyfre.adsl24.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html

the bentley is about as clear as mud on this procedure. if i were you, i would get the lock barrel out and use the key code on that, then re key all the other locks on the bus. a new key in the ignition lock is soooo nice.

i used a thin piece of wire used to hang fiberglass insulation. a coat hanger is far too thick. good luck fishing for that stupid little hole. it took me about 3 hours of screwing around to find it. in the link i posted, there is no need to remove the peened over square block, and will only add to the frustration.

when you get it out, it should look like this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you can also dig deeper by removing the pin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you can see in my pic that a p/o or theif vise gripped the barrel. when you get it to release, you will need to pry it out of the lock housing with a small pocket screwdriver

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the step in the first pic. The coat hanger worked out pretty well actually. My first cylinder took around 1/2 hour, but once I had the feel down for it then it took a few seconds for the second one. So I need to get the little roll pin out of the springy tang part that drives the electrical portion of the switch.....but without a key to retract the wafers I'm pretty well screwed as to pulling out the lock barrel.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man you're lucky. i fished around forever trying to get the tab to let go. if you want, i will try to pop the barrel out without the key. seems to me that i was able to do that to get the code. the pic that i posted had no key, so i am pretty sure it will come out without one. let me know if you want me to try it, it is sitting on my tool box and should only take a minute

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: