Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

To avoid issues with unwanted bursts of reality while driving, joints should be pre-rolled for the journey.

FreeBug wrote:
I'd never seen one of those, they were never used in Europe as far as I know....if you can't roll a doobie in the dark, you probably should't be rolling doobies. And if you can't roll one while driving, using your knees to aim the car, you're life expectancy just went up!

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

The bulb on my “spot light” is burned out, any idea where to find one?
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
The heater levers are stationary, unless you grab lever it stays in place. I adjust mine by feel anyway. That little light is or was agreat idea at the time but really worthless.
it was more to for the DOT rules iirc.dam 2011 Shocked
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
if i am not mistaken it should be the same as the fasten belt /ebrake red light on my 74
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:

Sylvania 2721. Most FLAPS carry them.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

Thanks, y’all
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

This light works in my Sun Bug, but I'd like to swap the bulb with an LED. Will one of you experienced men tell me how to replace this light? Do I just push it inside the dash and pull it from underneath to change the bulb?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
This light works in my Sun Bug, but I'd like to swap the bulb with an LED. Will one of you experienced men tell me how to replace this light? Do I just push it inside the dash and pull it from underneath to change the bulb?

IIRC, reach up behind, squeeze the two small "tabs" which lock it into the dash and push/pull out of dash towards the front seat.

FWIW, an led bulb will not do well with the stock style dimmer control.

If you wish to have brighter light from the little spot light, you can take it out and use a small drill bit to *carefully* widen the small aperture inside the front lens portion from the back side. I did this to mine.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
creative native wrote:

IIRC, reach up behind, squeeze the two small "tabs" which lock it into the dash and push/pull out of dash towards the front seat.

FWIW, an led bulb will not do well with the stock style dimmer control.

If you wish to have brighter light from the little spot light, you can take it out and use a small drill bit to *carefully* widen the small aperture inside the front lens portion from the back side. I did this to mine.

Thanks for the info! I forgot that this light dims. I already ordered an LED for it. I guess I'll have to see how it does and make a decision.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

The VW bulb for the spotlight is N 17 7512. Or, Sylvania 2712.

It’s a wheatgrass bulb, and although I’ve never changed mine, Vamram has, and he said he simply pulled the light receptacle toward the back of the car to change the bulb.

Finding an improvement on the stock bulb is probably a waste of time, and having a brighter white light in your dash at night would no doubt be a distraction, anyway.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

I actually went with a red LED to add some ambiance lighting, like in the water cooled Beetles.
buddy boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of changing mine out for an LED one , would anyone have the correct number for the led bulb? also is this the same bulb that would go into the hazard knob? thanks !!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

buddy boy wrote:
I'm thinking of changing mine out for an LED one , would anyone have the correct number for the led bulb? also is this the same bulb that would go into the hazard knob? thanks !!

I ordered an LED for my tiny spot light and the number is 2721. Mine blew while trying to get it installed and have been hesitant since. Please let me know if you get an LED successfully installed on yours.
buddy boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

they are reverse polarity , if they don't work you have to flip them . try installing again?
Gerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

Here's how "well" my spot light works on my heater controls in my 1973 super beetle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'64 Ruby Red Deluxe Beetle
edjose17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Spot light for illuminating heater levers..." ? Reply with quote

Here are some LED equivalent
https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/wedge-bulbs/2721/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: