Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Increase fuel capacity
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polo I just filled my tank with soapy water to the neck as the tank was tilted with the neck up.
HTH

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to purge all fumes, fill with water then add dry ice, that will get rid off fuel fumes

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polo wrote:
Thanks. In your opinion, which is easier to do; a 71 tank with a modified 65 neck attached to it, or a 71 tank and neck with the 71 neck modified? I gather from your description above I'd have to modify either neck to work with the 71 tank in a 65. But if I use the 71 tank+neck, can I get away with just a neck modification and avoid a rubber hose connection between neck and tank?

Have not tried the later neck. Being a bit sentimental wanting to keep the VW logo cap, and wanting it vented.

Quote:
Yeah, lol. Thanks. I was searching at WW and found them there too. What I'm asking is if its something that already is part of the 71 tank, or is it a retrofit no matter what I do.

As to welding / cutting, what I want to confirm is what to do to completely vacate the 65 tank of fumes before I go to cut off the neck. Even if I use a hand hacksaw to take off that neck, there will be sparks. Is there a trick to getting the fumes out? I was thinking to stick a blower vacuum tube in there for a few hours after draining it completely.

1961 was last year the fuel tap was factory installed except for the ambulance. So unless you somehow get an ambulance fuel tank made after 1961, you are most likely not to have the fuel tap, BUT you can install one as long as you have a tank with threaded outlet.
Water in the tank displaces the 18% oxygen atmosphere we have. The latent fuel in the tank is not going to mix with oygen in an enclosed chamber, and thusly not blow up.
Just blowing out the tank will still leave plenty of fuel vapor waiting for that just right mixture of oxygen, and spark to touch it off. Additionally gas tends to leave a layer like paint inside containers for years later. Add a little heat and this layer begins to vaporize........
polo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, getting near crunch time on this.

Two questions:

1) Got the tank, a 71 (so I'm told). It has a small tube coming out of the top of the tank with a short remnant of rubber fuel line on it. What is that and to what do I connect it? My guess is its a vent line of some sort that would connect up to the later model neck (that I don't have), and that I can simply plug it. Any ideas?

2) Getting the fuel valve, but how do I use it to shut off fuel next time I'm pulling the engine? Installed as is, I'd expect I'd have to drain to below the reserve point and then switch to take fuel from the higher intake? Or do I crimp off the higher point before I install it and call that the "off" position? I suppose I could do either, and am asking what others typically do, or have experienced to be the better option to go with.
2004 New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T

BumbleBuggy wrote:
Nothing is cooler than driving a car that brings joy to the world simply by idling at a light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. That is a vent hose used on later buses, plug it and use the 'vented' cap from the old tank.

2. When you move the reserve lever halfway/middle it will block fuel from exiting the tank and you can disconnect the fuel line.

HTH

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can leave your fuel tank at a radiator repair business and have it left overnight in the hot tank (caustic) to get rid of the fumes but I would recommend drying the inside of the tank, yourself.
When I had left a 1967 bus fuel tank at Anderson Radiator to have it put in the hot tank and cleaned out, I had told the owner that I was putting this tank in my 1957 bus because the stock one had a crack by the outlet hole that would have to be soldered, which I didn't want. When I arrived, the next day, he was soldering a penny over a small hole that he had cut in one of the lower corners. Shocked He said that he had cut the hole in the tank to make it easier for him to dry it out, and commonly does it. The employee at the other radiator repair business said that he would have done the same thing. If you leave a fuel tank to be cleaned out in a hot tank, make sure that you tell the employee not to cut a hole in the tank.
Now, I clean out fuel tanks, myself, using muriatic acid and water.
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy, thats good info to keep an eye out on.

I will be putting another Bay tank in the new bus I am paying off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Darksoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, all this for five gallons more? Why not just carry a couple of the metal five gallons cans (jeep style) up top or in back. If this is all about capacity on the open road and not needed daily, why mod anything just add a can to the cargo load when needed. I have a 67 doublecab I would tie a can in the back.
polo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darksoul wrote:
Man, all this for five gallons more? Why not just carry a couple of the metal five gallons cans (jeep style) up top or in back.
Attractive Confused I look at it as carrying that container in my gas tank, but I don't have to look like an army jeep.

I dunno about others, but I've got a leak in my old tank neck that prevents me from putting in more than 7 gallons or so without it dripping into the engine bay. So the tank's gotta come out to repair anyway. I also need to repo the engine bay, do some welding in there, repalce the starter bushing etc. So pulling the engine has been on the list too. So if I'm going to pull the tank while the engine's out already, and spend time to repair it, I'm instead just putting one back that needs no repair AND that gives me double the capacity of where I am now with the leak and for only a few extra $ and an hour or so with a fuel pipe and some pipe clamps to do it.

BumbleBuggy wrote:
Nothing is cooler than driving a car that brings joy to the world simply by idling at a light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darksoul wrote:
Man, all this for five gallons more?

When you go through 10 gallons of gas like I do, you'd be looking for ways to add fuel capacity too! Rolling Eyes

Even with 17.5 gallons I normally have to fuel up before most in the caravans! Confused

My lead foot, the load and the Dellortos add to it though. Razz
Darksoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dunno about others, but I've got a leak in my old tank neck that prevents me from putting in more than 7 gallons or so without it dripping into the engine bay. So the tank's gotta come out to repair anyway. I also need to repo the engine bay, do some welding in there, repalce the starter bushing etc. So pulling the engine has been on the list too. So if I'm going to pull the tank while the engine's out already, and spend time to repair it, I'm instead just putting one back that needs no repair AND that gives me double the capacity of where I am now with the leak and for only a few extra $ and an hour or so with a fuel pipe and some pipe clamps to do it.

Sounds like a good plan, a lot of work but a good plan, be safe and good luck.
polo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, almost there.

Anyone have a good online source for the fuel hose? I need 2-1/4" ID and am not finding any anywhere and would ideally get corrugated flexible hose. Every pic of the installation I've seen the hose is kinked trying to bend up to the filler neck.

BumbleBuggy wrote:
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAPA has the fuel line though it is not corrigated. When the neck is cut and welded in the correct new angle the hose does not need to kink at all.
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: gas tank Reply with quote

RINC wrote:
Das Dragon wrote:
No need to weld at all, use part of the bay tank soft hose or get a comparable fuel safe hose for the connection as in the photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mine is similar to the pic above.

Sure made it nice to not have to stop for fuel so often on my recent trip to the Classic.

i just put a bay tank in my 65 motorhome conversion today and i had to notch out that crossbar in the picture above Confused i couldnt get the tank in without doing that. anyone else have to do that? i got the filler hose from napa auto. 20.00 for a 1 foot section Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty lucky the PO installed a bigger tank and not from a bay, I think it's at least an 18g tank. The last time I went to fill up I had about 3 or so gallons of gas in it and I still put in 17.5 more gallons. Here is a picture before I had it sent to the radiator shop to get cleaned and sealed. If I ever get rid of it Pyro already has dibs on it Very Happy . Dont hold your breath Pyro but you never know.

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobzKombi wrote:
If I ever get rid of it Pyro already has dibs on it Very Happy . Dont hold your breath Pyro but you never know.

Got my fingers crossed! Pray
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: gas tank Reply with quote

tubdub wrote:
RINC wrote:
Das Dragon wrote:
No need to weld at all, use part of the bay tank soft hose or get a comparable fuel safe hose for the connection as in the photo:

Mine is similar to the pic above.

Sure made it nice to not have to stop for fuel so often on my recent trip to the Classic.

i just put a bay tank in my 65 motorhome conversion today and i had to notch out that crossbar in the picture above Confused i couldnt get the tank in without doing that. anyone else have to do that? i got the filler hose from napa auto. 20.00 for a 1 foot section Shocked

No notching with my install, it fits perfect.

Laughing at Pyro. Seriously I might.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is up with that wiring spaghetti?
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:

Ditto! Confused
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

Ditto! Confused

Looks like he's got a remote starter button there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: