Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Increase fuel capacity
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
polo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up, finally doing it.

Is there something I have to do to get the tank to fit in like the old one? I've got the tank in and NO WAY will it sit on the floor of the engine bay like the old one did, I can barely get the tank in there at all let alone sitting flush.

The tank is from a 71 bus, I was under the impression that it was the right one. The tank seems to be just too wide/tall to ever get in there flush. The tank is about an inch off the engine bay floor where the fuel line exit is. The back of the tank presses against the sloped back of the engine bay, while the front of the tank, at the bottom has a lower depression in it, in the middle, that presses against the metal at the engine skirt.

Did others have this same problem? Does the bigger tank simply not sit in the bus like the old one and need some various blocking, etc. to keep it sitting solid?

The engine bay metal doesn't look like its been drastically bent out of shape or anything, all's straight.
2004 New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T

BumbleBuggy wrote:
Nothing is cooler than driving a car that brings joy to the world simply by idling at a light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I did this, but I remember having to dent the tank (at the lower rear, I think) to get it to sit right. Nothing drastic, just a little dent made with a hammer and block of wood.
polo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks joe cool.

Looking at some of the pictures in this thread and comparing to the engine bay as it is, looks to me like there's been some banging down of the engine bay at the skirt above the tranny right where that "bubble" is on the tank front bottom. Wrestling with it, that's what I was thinking would help tremendously to get it in sitting snug. Am going with that sooner than banging on the tank; I don't want to cause a leak in a tank I'm putting in to deal with a tank that had a leak in it, lol.
2004 New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T

BumbleBuggy wrote:
Nothing is cooler than driving a car that brings joy to the world simply by idling at a light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 68 to 71 tank in mine. I also had assholes stealing gas from me. So I installed a bay tank for more fuel, no leaks, and, a locking gas cap. I cut the filler neck off a chevy chevelle (car was wrecked total junk). So now I have a filer neck welded to the regular vw filler neck then connected with the fuel hose to the bay tank. No banging needed. Also the modern gas caps have anti slosh capabilities in them. I havnt noted any leaking out the cap.
I would have loved to save the old tank but when you dump out half a 5 gallon bucket of rust, I think it was time for a new tank.
Im not aware of a locking gas cap for an early bus with anti slosh, maybe there is one. The only thing I hate is the gas guage needle movement. I cant remember what sending unit I installed, but I know its not a 68 to 71 unit. Gas guage operates but needle jumps here and there as float moves. I need to see if I can get the original sending unit.

Last edited by quartermilecamel on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olskool58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I just did this on my 66, tank was from a 72.................slid right in. I made some extensions for the straps, picked up the hose from the local parts house. seems like this thread is over-complicating the job at hand........
63 ghia
bherder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I hacked off my 10 gallon split neck and headed off to napa. The outer diameter of the neck measures 2 and 5/16ths. The biggest napa said they carry is 2 and 1/4, and there is no way that that hose is fitting over that neck. What size of hose are you guys running? Any other places to get it besides napa? What is the technical name of this fuel safe hose?

Parts manual:
http://oacdp.org/
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think boat supply
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bherder wrote:
Ok, I hacked off my 10 gallon split neck and headed off to napa. The outer diameter of the neck measures 2 and 5/16ths. The biggest napa said they carry is 2 and 1/4, and there is no way that that hose is fitting over that neck. What size of hose are you guys running? Any other places to get it besides napa? What is the technical name of this fuel safe hose?

try a hoseman or hosemart hydraulic hose supply. Reinforced Silicone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to "literally" don my flame suit now for I know this post will bring hate and discontent. For the purest and the haters out there....keep in mind this Bus has been modified and purpose built. As much as I wanted to keep this Bus unmolested, the modifications have paid off nicely for our goals.

In addition to the later 15 gallon fuel tank, we have also added a 10 gallon fuel cell, complete with a Holley electric fuel pump to transfer fuel while on the rfly.
This was all done to to allow us to competitively run in a 1500 mile Rally crossing 3 countries (www.beetleball.com). This addition/modification was key to help us set the record in the Vintage Bus Class. The record remains uncontested but we hope to up the anti and shatter the existing record in 2010, and possibly reset the overall record regardless of class.

This modification well also serve us well with our participation in the Shasta Snow Trip. While other teams are bottled up at the few re-fueling opportunities along the route, we will continue to make time with fewer stops.

As I said earlier not a great choice in modification for the daily driver, but one that fairs well when your engaged in any speed contests dictated by time and mileage.

Auxillary Fuel Cell:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Holley Transfer Pump:

Anti Siphon Fuel Line:

Transfer of Fuel:

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olskool58 wrote:
Shocked

I just did this on my 66, tank was from a 72.................slid right in. I made some extensions for the straps, picked up the hose from the local parts house. seems like this thread is over-complicating the job at hand........

I'm still confused. I heard the 68-71, it works, but you have to bang it.

Now I hear the 72+ fit better???
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes it works best-a 71 & earlier bay tank, but I didn't "Bang my tank", I dented it a little.
I have been Horney at times, but not that Horney.
You need a Bay sender also

I used a rusted out Split tank neck and a Gates hose, cut it on an angle, "then slid-in what I needed to get the Job Done" I'm Italian so.......
When you cut the new rubber hose on an angle you can achieve the Split bus angle you need. Leave the rubber long until you find that perfect angle as to align it with the stock fill outlet. Buy real good hose clamps-you can use 2 at each end (4 total) if you like. The stock neck is up to you on length, the less you use the easier it is to manipulate/line-up, and/or remove b/c of the flexibility in the rubber. Don't over think it, and Yes go back to the beginning of this thread-there are other detailed threads on this too. Bring you split neck to the auto supply to get the super tight fit, I use a little grease on the filler tube so I could pull it out during fitting.Learned by mistake on that.

Last edited by NUTSFORBUSES on Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
olskool58 wrote:
Shocked

Read page one of this thread.
sehilliard1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Increase fuel capacity Reply with quote

Any one have a good source for the fuel tank strap extensions necessary to install the bay window tank in the split bus?
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Increase fuel capacity Reply with quote

sehilliard1 wrote:
Any one have a good source for the fuel tank strap extensions necessary to install the bay window tank in the split bus?

I made them from a scrap pair. Seen it done a couple of ways, even extensions to meet-up the stock straphttps://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167975
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: