Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another beautiful day in LA

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting here waiting for a tow. Just bought this less than a week ago. Hit a deer going 80 on the Mass Pike.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Sitting here waiting for a tow. Just bought this less than a week ago. Hit a deer going 80 on the Mass Pike.

That happened to my Mopar minivan shortly after we got it. Press on!
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this isn't a pic of our van, these guys are the best and nicest drivers I've ever found in Colorado/Eastern Utah. They even bring their dogs with them on runs. Here's a shot of the truck that was carrying one of our EVC rentals home from Grand Junction a few days ago with a chihuahua and German shepherd supervising the whole operation:

'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climbergal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the guy who asked about towing if you don't have AAA, we broke down in Roseburg, OR, and had to get back to Tacoma, WA, way outside AAA range. A truck brought us into town, where we rented a UHaul and flat bed. Total cost was over $600. AAA is way worth it. The other day I read a story about a woman who lost her van because she couldn't pay the tow bill.
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as tows are concerned, I think I win.
Here's my first van being towed in Duluth, Minnesota in May 2014. I was driving home to Seattle from Florida when the coolant overflow reservoir blew up. This van broke down in Bend, Oregon 5 months earlier on the way to Florida (major oil leaks.)

Here's my second van six months later in the VW lot in Staunton, Virginia awaiting shipping back to Seattle in November, 2014. It was my third and final breakdown for that trip. First breakdown that trip was in Abilene, Kansas (starter motor), second was in Lexington, Kentucky (cv joint) and this one was a fuel pump failure. I figured three strikes and I was out. I was on my way to Florida for the winter with my two dogs. I finished the trip in a rental Kia Sephia, which you can see in the foreground of this picture. Sad

After all my breakdowns, I highly recommend that anyone considering a cross-country trip in a vanagon should buy AAA Premier membership. You get one 200 mile tow and 3 additional 100 mile tows per year to the destination of your choice. Best $124 I've spent. I also recommend everyone bookmark Vanagon Rescue Squad on their phone (http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon-Rescue-Squad74.htm). And don't bother towing a van to a VW dealer, as I stupidly did first in Duluth and then in Staunton, Va. VW dealers know nothing about these vans and no longer stock parts for them. In Duluth I had to have the van towed a second time from the dealership (after they told me they could fix the van) to another local shop recommended by Vanagon Rescue Squad. I should have remembered that in Staunton the next fall. Dumb me!

Last edited by 2dogs1van on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of Domo in Canada:

WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

This is sort of a continuation of my thread from last week:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693535

Springerville, Arizona. When it comes to breakdowns, this counts as a two-fer:

Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

While pulling into my parking space at home, I heard a loud clunk, and had just busted a CV Joint. I turned too sharp on dry pavement, apparently. A quick tow to the local mechanic and an expedited order from Van Cafe took care of my issue and I was back in business in no time.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

A little roadside help in Peru a few years back after a little "mishap". AAA has got nothing on these folks. They are shouting "Jale, Jale" pull, pull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5xntLpPV9k
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

WARNING!!!

Watch out when getting towed. Ive had them bend tierods and crush the fluid container below the drivers side floor board and pull my rig off a high curb and bottom out on my exhaust Evil or Very Mad . These guys are not always careful or very well trained. AAA plus is great but you need to be a part of the action or your rig might get abused.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Jeanettedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Day after picking it up with a new paint job. One of the many coolant hoses gave way.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Not sure if I ever got this one in. The engine lost oil pressure about 10 miles from home. I happened to have the other van hooked up to our huge trailer so I called for my wife to drive over and rescue me. Thought it looked funny with the smaller van and HUGE trailer towing the Vanagon. People were snapping pictures of us as we drove home:

Yes, the Mitsubishi was woefully overloaded, but to compensate we had our "watch out everybody, we're doing something stupid here" flashers on and so did the Vanagon up on the trailer. Heh....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

I'd had the van for about a month or two, had it checked out and got a solid thumbs up from my local mechanic, fuel lines changed. Couldn't find the coolant leak but in my heart of hearts, I knew it was there. Off we went, heading to Fremont Peak, not far away, but a pretty good switchback road to get to the top. We didn't make it! But not for lack of trying. Ended up ruining the engine and calling in ground support. This was our first overnight trip in the van. Put her on another tow truck a few months later bound for Stephan's Auto Haus for an engine transplant, and a slew of other "while you're in there" refinements . You know you've got it good when your wife and daughter insist we keep the van and get it running again.

Happy to report, many great family trips since.

Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

In 18 years of Westy travelling we've had a few close calls but were always able to avoid a tow ... until this summer.

The NIB starter I'd installed just five days earlier (on Main Street in Shelby, Montana) failed while camped outside Port Angeles, Washington. Fortunately, the shop was very accommodating with free use of a loaner car while (another!) new starter was obtained, and we were able to explore a city we'd planned on visiting for a few days anyway.

The remaining three weeks and 3000 miles of touring the Washington and Oregon coasts were uneventful ... in a good way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Quote:
You know you've got it good GREAT when your wife and daughter insist we keep the van and get it running again.

FTFY

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

This was just to get it off the street and into the garage. No motor/trans/brakes at this point.

Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

You know, the Vanagon forum is probably the only forum that celebrates it's favorite vehicles failures with 7, count em, 7 pages of tow pictures! And, a forum thread that questions if we actually made a 1000 mile trip unscathed! Then, I realized, that although I own Vanagons, if I really need to go somewhere, I drive my 51 year old or 22 year old Ford. I am beginning to think I am crazy!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

My plan for a casual fall cruise were brought to a steamy conclusion.
Not the glorious ending to the season I’d planned.

Crying or Very sad

Oil cooler return line split.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: