Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Shifter Coupler
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Just received my shifter coupler from WW and I am going to install it tomorrow. I understand I can make room so the coupler goes in without having to remove the shifter rod. Any recommendations on this? My bus is a 62. Thanks.

Moderator summary

Overview:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Parts:

#26 = Shift coupler
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111711175B

#33 = Shift coupler grub screw
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111711189

#22 = Shift rod boot
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211711183B

Directions:
Put it in 3rd gear, climb under bus and undo the rear bolt for rear coupler.
Push rear shift rod forward (or pull stick in cab back) to make space between coupler and hockey stick
Remove front bolt on rear coupler and remove old coupler.

Tips:
The little screws have 8mm heads and most people don't have the original tool for that.
You can buy a square-headed socket or use an 8mm wrench with a screwdriver through the end to turn it.
Turn gently at first as sometimes they are frozen.
If you feel the bolt stripping, stop, spray it down with rust breaker, and wait a day to see if it will free up.

Tools:
Hazet 514 (or 2514 for the later version).

8mm or 5/16" square socket:
5/16th square and double square examples, both Snap-on:

Camping is cheaper than therapy.
vwpackrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my 67 years ago and I would think your 62 is the same. I had to replace the rear broken shift coupler at the transmission. There is another shifter rod disconnect coupler up toward the middle way of your bus (its basically a splice connection) that you have to disconnect the back nut to allow your shift rod to slide up a little bit so you can slide the shift rod forward a little bit to install the new shift coupler. Just follow the shift rod towards the front of your bus you'll see it..........

I would try first to put your bus in gear in like 2nd gear and disconnect the back coupler, and then shift the linkage forward and it might give you enuf room without having to do anything but havent tried that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpackrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you do get it installed my bus didnt shift properly, (hard to get into 1st gear) due to measurements of new/old parts not exactly the same and lining up. If yours does this for some reason you'll just have to loosen up the 2 bolts on your shifter floor plate and slide forward or backward to adjust depending on which gear its hard to get into if it does it to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PackRat, I will give it a try and let you know.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to grease to bolts before installing and do use safety wire.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwpackrat wrote:
I did my 67 years ago and I would think your 62 is the same. I had to replace the rear broken shift coupler at the transmission. There is another shifter rod disconnect coupler up toward the middle way of your bus (its basically a splice connection) that you have to disconnect the back nut to allow your shift rod to slide up a little bit so you can slide the shift rod forward a little bit to instried...

No, on a 62 you don't have to mess with the front coupler.

Just put it in 3rd gear, climb under bus and undo the rear bolt for rear coupler.
Push rear shift rod forward (or pull stick in cab back) to make space between coupler and hockey stick
Remove front bolt on rear coupler and remove old coupler.

They changed the front shift rod mid 66; with the late ones you do need to disconnect the front rod.
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
vwpackrat wrote:
I did my 67 years ago and I would think your 62 is the same. I had to replace the rear broken shift coupler at the transmission. There is another shifter rod disconnect coupler up toward the middle way of your bus (its basically a splice connection) that you have to disconnect the back nut to allow your shift rod to slide up a little bit so you can slide the shift rod forward a little bit to instried...

Just put it in 3rd gear, climb under bus and undo the rear bolt for rear coupler.
Remove front bolt on rear coupler and remove old coupler. What it the correct way for safety wire to be installed, any pictures would be great.

They changed the front shift rod mid 66; with the late ones you do need to disconnect the front rod.
Thanks Clara, my bus does not have the coupler in it at all so I think i need to clamp the shifter and tranny with some vice grips, then put it into gear that way. Is there a certain way the safety wire goes installed? Thanks
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61TXghia wrote:
Clara wrote:
vwpackrat wrote:

Remove front bolt on rear coupler and remove old coupler. What it the correct way for safety wire to be installed, any pictures would be great.

Thanks Clara, my bus does not have the coupler in it at all so I think i need to clamp the shifter and tranny with some vice grips, then put it into gear that way. Is there a certain way the safety wire goes installed? Thanks

careful with the vise grips... don't make marks on the hockey stick-- use a rag. Or the shift coupler won't slide on.
The shift rod you can push forwards by hand (unless something is serious wrong)
use wire to secure the bolts in a snugwise direction, so they can't loosen up.

puddnmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clara,
How do you use wire to secure the bolts in a snugwise direction, so they can't loosen up??? do you thread both bolts with one wire then twist them or does each bolt get there own wire???.
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like each one has it's own wire.
kanniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wired mine together- they cant both spin out @ the same time.

Regular cheap ass tie wire does the job just fine.

I've eaten food off dirtier places than the bottom of that bus!

JEEZ! Shocked
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to know if part number 111711175B is the correct part for a 1967 bus? As I talked to somebody who told me that although that coupler will work on a 67 it's really designed for a bus 1964 or older and wondering if there's a better one more OEM for a more correct fit? Thanks
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

The shift coupler from WW will work for a '67, I have one on my '66.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111711175B

I wish they would reproduce the stock couplers later design, made with the rubber pad in between the coupler halves; those reduce the vibration/noise, and are so precise through the gears.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Yeah thanks Split 66, I wrote to the vendor selling this one with that part number who's ad says will fit up to 1964 and he wrote me back "the1967 Bus is a split year for this coupler or a square 3 piece coupler. You will need to physically check and compare yours to confirm" and the one I have on there is round so I guess it will work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Beetle-Bug-Shift-Rod-C...5164cdd5c2
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

That's definitely the style you need. I'm running a '73 Squareback rear end in my '66 Bus, and I still use the same coupler style as you linked to.

The one you linked to should work, hopefully it's not one of the flimsy ones, it looks the same as the Wolfsburg West model, but the WW one is pretty stiff.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

One more question for you guys, as I just got the new coupling I was asking about and trying to get the old one off I put it in 3rd gear first then disconnected the bolts then shifted it back to 2nd, thinking this would give me the space to get it out, but there's still not enough room. Am I doing something wrong? Or on a 67 do I need to disconnect the front coupling? Which I hope I don't have to do as it looks kind of rusty Shocked And on a side note last time I did this I seem to remember getting it off without removing the front coupling.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

There should be another square headed bolt, further up the shift rod, behind the driver seat. Removing that bolt allows you to collapse the inner rod inside the tube, this will give you enough space between to put the coupler in.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Do you mean this 8mm nut split 66? Thanks

Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

There should be one more bolt, other than the one in your pic, that if removed, will make the shift rod shorter by collapsing the shift rod, inside the tube. I wish I had a picture of it.

I remember it so well, because I've taken out that bolt and all the rods, and not realized what I had done, when I put everything back together, the shift rod was too short! Which meant the rod was retracted inside the shift tube, and I had to pull it back out to length, and put the bolt back in.

It's the middle section shift rod that should collapse (tube inside of tube) when the bolt is pulled. It's definitely one of those square 8mm bolts. Move the shifter too, that bolt may be hiding on the other side of the shift rod that you can't see.

EDIT: I can't remember if that bolt is under the cab floor, or under the mid section, sorry, it's been 6 years or so. That bolt looks out of place when you spot it, in the middle of nowhere on the shift rod tube as I remember, but towards the front of the Bus.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Thanks Split 66 I got the front connection apart which wasn't easy as it was pretty crusty but I got the rear coupling off and it's ready to put back together just as soon as I get a new screw for iit that somehow stripped coming out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: