Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Shifter Coupler
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

CheapBusForSale wrote:
Thanks Split 66 I got the front connection apart which wasn't easy as it was pretty crusty but I got the rear coupling off and it's ready to put back together just as soon as I get a new screw for iit that somehow stripped coming out.

Add a little used grease, or new grease, or anti-seize to the bolt and inside the coupler openings so it does not rust onto the shift rods again.
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Hey, saw this....what do you think....?
https://www.vintagecarparts.de/artikel.php?set_sho...111711175B
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

jeffavatech wrote:

Looks like a good copy of the early version of coupler used from at least 1950-65 or 66. As to its quality.....
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

jeffavatech wrote:

That is tempting, that's my favorite design. It does seem pretty expensive, before shipping to the US. If it lasted 45 years like my stock one, I'd pay that price.

Are you going to get one?
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

I ordered 2, These are the correct couplers for 64 to 67 buses. Problem is.....they are in Germany....so, with exchange rate and shipping they will not be a cheap replacement....the noise will go away. These are brand new units.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Definitely interested to hear the details about these when they arrive. Some pics would be great too.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

jeffavatech wrote:

That's the same coupler that was in my 66 standard microbus back in about 1989. When it came apart, I drilled 3 equally spaced holes (120 degrees apart) through both pieces and used some 6-32 allen bolts and nylon lock nuts with washers to put it back together. I think I kept it somewhere but recently bought a new one from WW that is the typical one you get nowadays.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:

When it came apart...

That's the weakness with those couplers. If the bond between the rubber and metal parts isn't good, or gets contaminated (oil and rubber don't play well), the two halves separate.

My truck came with one that a previous owner had repaired by removing the rubber and welding the two metal halves together.

I bought a new one a few years back, thinking the rubber might help with the gear change (VW put it there for a reason, right?) but it separated before I even got out of the garage. I put the welded one back in.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Hi, Here's the thing...that coupler is to reduce noise in the cab only...those welded ones work great, but...now you notice it's a lot louder inside....the trick is to replace the shift rod bushings at the front mount and mid point of the shafts (Depending on your year bus). Then replace the coupler, of course make sure it's in neutral first...learning point here..don't ask how I know this...lol. Now you tweek the shift plate to make sure it goes into the gears, don't forget to check reverse. Tighten the shift plate down. Go for a drive and you'll notice the difference in noise. Hope someone finds this helpful.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Do you put grease in those coupler boots?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

61TXghia wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HMVWNAB wrote:
Do you put grease in those coupler boots?

I never do. Their purpose is to keep the sealed up area clean and dry. Grease would rot the rubber and attract gunge.

Others may disagree.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Silicone grease ONLY for rubber.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: