Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

No Modification to the valve covers. I used the Comp Eliminator heads with 1.4:1 Pauter Rockers and a single gasket.
It's been a while since first start up. I have probably about 80 miles on the engine...maybe. It is running amazing now. With tons of power. I did get a GoPro and I am getting a little better at making videos in general. I want to figure a way to do a video off the rear of the car looking forward at the engine and car. As if it is a giant selfie-stick hanging off the back of the car. I will post it here when I get that done. There are no dynos' near me that I know of so no dyno run yet.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

John, did you have to do any work on the valve covers to make them fit?
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

That has to be an amazing feeling of completion.
Good work sir!
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Unfortunately the injectors are batch fired. So both injectors per cylinder fire at the same time. In fact I believe both 1 & 2 cylinder injectors fire at the same time. So all 4 injectors on the right side spray for cylinder 1 then all 4 injectors spray for cylinder 2.
Like wasted spark ignition.
Not efficient at all but can make big power at high RPM!
I will tune more and make more videos when I get back from my trip to pick up my Class 12 Race car in a couple days.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

SAWEET RIDE John. That should be a fun little toy to cruz in.

Do the second set of injectors only turn on under boost? Seems like areally easy way to control off boost fuel delivery instead of having one big injector.

Looking forward to a first ride along.

brad
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

So here it is!
A little walk around and first start video! I still have to finish final tune but it's ALIVE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74cGsvkXNIE

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

my bug replacement is ecotec car...Im collecting bends to build a header for it.I just dont get it,2.4 16 valve dohc 10.4 cr slug....I also have to get the box tuned...but the ac is awesome!!!AND YES IT'S REAR WHEEL DRIVE!!!
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

I have an interest in the Ecotech since the race Team I have been a part of all went that way. I have not developed a so-called "Recipe" like I have with this 2498cc VW but I will get bored and come back to that. For now I am finishing the Manx 2498cc build. My 1957 can always use some attention but is a beautiful driver with just gas and oil and next Wednesday I am buying my Class 12 Race Car. I could rebuild the engine for that but may let Geoff Hart continue to maintain that since I am leaving it in California to race it and hope to just arrive and drive from Maryland. After it's initial full professional race-prep I will bring it back for it's next prep to work on all of that myself.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

werent you messen with the 4 cylinder gm stuff for a while too?
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

I have been busy this past weekend.
1) Finished up the engine bay wiring.
2) Installed the vacuum block and all stainless lines.
3) Installed the Fan shroud and Alternator.
4) Installed the final Dry Sump lines / Breather lines.
5) Primed the Dry Sump Oil system in preparation for First Fire-up!
6) Installed Pauter Roller Rockers and Chromoly pushrods.
7) Made a couple videos to share!

Vacuum/Pressure Discussion Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK3Uv2pHJmE

Dry Sump Pump Oil system Discussion Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFI0M8kSBnY

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Damn man, no moss on your stones LOL. Glad to hear it's coming together. Congrats on the new race car. One of my sponsors is an off road racer out of Oregon, Mike Sill from Jackpot Racing.

brad
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Snap! You could have stopped by to check it out McTukey! Next time....

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

wale shit. I was in marry land the last 5 days.....
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Glad to hear this is still a go John. I'm stepping up from suction induction this year and over the winter will get the new engine together. Talked to Mark at CB last week and I'm 7th in line but he was thinking 2 weeks till shipping.

Can hardly wait for your videos, especially the first drive.... Twisted Evil

brad

Brad you know it's been a long time coming. Had a child, got a divorce, went single, moved 4 times, bought a 1957 Show/Go Beetle, got engaged, got a dog, bought a third house and heading out to Arizona in a couple weeks to pick up a Class 12 car and when I get back it's Laser focus on the next wedding. LOTS has happened since I started this build! It's all coming together before retirement. I can't wait to see your new combo too! I'll check back often. I have been hanging at race-dezert.com a lot lately. I'll be building my desert race team soon. I am Pretty excited for that dream to come true too.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Glad to hear this is still a go John. I'm stepping up from suction induction this year and over the winter will get the new engine together. Talked to Mark at CB last week and I'm 7th in line but he was thinking 2 weeks till shipping.

Can hardly wait for your videos, especially the first drive.... Twisted Evil

brad
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Hello, everyone...It's been a long time but I am back to making progress on the Buggy. I have worked the last three days on the wiring. I got everything traced, tested, new ends terminated in the right locations, neatly routed, taped and zip-tied. Along with a new AFR Gauge installed.
I still have to install a new aluminum console to house a couple switched and gauges, install a new battery and make those connections, then install the fan shroud/alternator and make that final connection. Then I can move on to the first start-up procedures. I didn't get many pics of the wiring since that can be boring and hard to see. It really takes hours and hours spread out over days to deal with old and new wiring when it's all custom.
Depending on if life gets in the way I plan to work on First Start-Up Procedures this weekend. For those I will be making videos to post here from YouTube. Mid-August is now a must-finish deadline since I will be heading from the East Coast to Nevada, Arizona and California to pick up a new Class 12 Off-road Race car to add to my collection of VW's. Stay tuned for the LONG Awaited Start-Up Video!

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

zoom zoom zoom....

I wish my 2.4 ecotec was as eazy and simple as this vw stuff....
Im now thinking about turbo for the first time in my life....gotta do somethen to wake up this turd.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

It's been put on pause by life. I hope to fire it up this spring. I have debated new computers etc but just want it to run first. It has had too much scope creep as it is!

turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Whatever happened to this build?
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Sorry not too many updates to the build. The plumbing I have been doing is boring and repetitious so I didn't think pics of all the stainless hoses were all that interesting. Dual fuel circuits, ventilation and all the plumbing for the dry-sump pump and tank are all that has been done; which is really a lot of work when each hose is custom made. At this point I really just need to reconnect the computer and get prepared to fire it up (prime the oil pump reinstall the plugs and rockers).... So basically all the engine wiring.
Also in the last 6-10 months I moved two houses a shed and 4 car shop into a new house. I also spent the last 10 months custom building this Buggy in matching purple for my 9 year old Daughter. I taught her how to cut, bend, notch, MIG weld and TIG weld steel tubing. It has 18 HP and a Torque converter. So.....Life got in the way of my own projects as usual. I am about to get back to it now that I have space in a my new three car garage. As mentioned before I will do a couple videos of the first fire and run in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: