Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

ARP 2000 5/16" Bolt Part# 200-6210
Cam was pre-clearanced when I got it from Aircooled.net
It's got the 90mm full circle motorcycle crank.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Motorcycle crank?
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Motorcycle crank?

Motorcycle-Style crank. In other words; full circle.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.

Last edited by yamaducci on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Ah I'm with you.
Good to see updates again, this has been an awesome read Smile

Thank you John!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

sure be nice if they drilled the journols instead of the added weights having big holes in them Shocked kinda counter productive. and by the way that has flats...not truly full circle. Wink I did a motor with the full circle, it was pretty, but.....afu at the same time, rod oil holes welded up, bunches of slivers hanging off all over the dam thing where it got to the edge and just bent the steel over.how effing stupid.about 800 miles and bearings were dead...no oil no life, about a .050" hole for the oil to get to the rod brg.effing morons. I was just wondering, Ive got the 3/8 rods with my 86 crank.I havent even got that far to check clearance.probably should fo done that before plasma ion nitriding the cam...but as usual things change and the stroke went up 8mm. you got this thing done yet????
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
sure be nice if they drilled the journols instead of the added weights having big holes in them Shocked kinda counter productive. and by the way that has flats...not truly full circle. Wink I did a motor with the full circle, it was pretty, but.....afu at the same time, rod oil holes welded up, bunches of slivers hanging off all over the dam thing where it got to the edge and just bent the steel over.how effing stupid.about 800 miles and bearings were dead...no oil no life, about a .050" hole for the oil to get to the rod brg.effing morons. I was just wondering, Ive got the 3/8 rods with my 86 crank.I havent even got that far to check clearance.probably should fo done that before plasma ion nitriding the cam...but as usual things change and the stroke went up 8mm. you got this thing done yet????

I think I know what you are saying here...

Are your -sure- that they didn't drill the journals?
That's *supposed* to be why the counterweights have holes there like that.

There's also that whole 'hard' thing that happens to the metal when a bead of weld is laid upon thy.
Isn't that part of the whole full circle mystery?
They make a super-hard ring all the way around, making it strong and hard as well as mysterious and pretty..

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

I just had to dig through this thread and look again...

Here's a pic:

Something said to me "Bernie Bergman!" And lo and behold,
There the man's work is, right there in the flesh!

You DO know that what we have here is a feeble attempt to replicate the look of a Scat Ultralight, right?
Scat made these cranks, where they drilled through the center of the rod journals, to make the crank lighter.

-and-

A consequence of this was that the counterweights got thru-drilled in the process..

-So-

What we have here,
is a guy putting holes in his counterweights,
So the crank looks like a Scat.

Obviously,
Bernie Bergman never gave very much thought to why people drill these holes.
or,
he doesn't understand how these things work.
hence,
The whole full-circle thing...

I guess if he can get someone to buy these things,
he has accomplished his mission.

Are you going to paint it green, or yellow?

What’s That Noise?!?
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Here's a pic:

You DO know that what we have here is a feeble attempt to replicate the look of a Scat Ultralight, right?
Scat made these cranks, where they drilled through the center of the rod journals, to make the crank lighter.

-and-

A consequence of this was that the counterweights got thru-drilled in the process..

-So-

What we have here,

Obviously,
or,
hence,

The samba strikes again!! Wonderful people on here. Gives me goose bumps....
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

I mus be blind I dont see any drilled journals. Shocked I dont think bergerman..burgerking? had a clue about anything related to vw engines. the one I reworked was a burgerking motor....pure garbage.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

There's a reason these haven't been popular in the last 25 years.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

because gooder china cranks came along Wink
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

I ran a bernie bergman full circle 82mm crank. Interesting thing, i got the crank in not so good shape needing a regrind. I called and spoke to Bernie himself and he was honest and said "just buy a new crank and move on" as its not worth the trouble. He didnt even say buy one of his, he just said buy any crank from anyone. Super nice guy, I respect his honesty.

I still wanted to try the crank so I had a local guy regrind it for $100. I put ALOT of passes down the quarter mile and punished that thing and never had problems. The youtube vid below is back when I was running that crank. It revved fast and made great power.

So im the one wierd guy that has had good experience with Bernie and his products.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

He's thinking too much about what other people are thinking.

If we replaced his crank with a full circle and the engine now ran with less vibration, I wonder if that would change his thinking. Razz

Ever seen a WBX crank?
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

It would seem to me balanced is balanced.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
Clatter wrote:

Here's a pic:

-and-

-So-

What we have here,

Obviously,
or,
hence,

The samba strikes again!! Wonderful people on here. Gives me goose bumps....

Sorry,
This is a great build here,
But that whole "Fake Scat Ultralight" thing that BB did was dorky with a capital "D".

He actually reduced the effectiveness of the counterweight..

You understand what we are looking at here, right?

It's either Bozo-ism, or shysteriety.
I vote the former.

I guess I should just say
"They shore did some funny stuff back in the day"..

What’s That Noise?!?
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Funny how BB shenanigans still surface today. My father sounds like a broken record when he describes how he pulled the heads off a BB "1915cc" and it had 92mm pistons. A record that's been spinning since the 80s.
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Did you know demello sells this style cranks to the military? Special forces vehicles? Desert racing (baja) have some very interesting designs that we don't see or hear about.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

I predict that in a year or so, everyone will be running full-circle cranks. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

Y'know,
I was wearing a face-shield, hear-muffs, a dust-mask and all today..
Doing loud work for hours, and tripping thru my head..

This whole thing kept playing..
(Getting called out as a hater will do that, you know)

First of all,
This build is epic.
I don't have a motor with piston squirters, so who am I to go saying anything..?
Props to 'yamaducci' for this big build..

It's this level of build that makes a BB crank like a bad punch-line, dig?

So I was thinking,
Maybe rather than Bozo or shyster, maybe BB is just an enthusiast?
Maybe he just wants to 'build something cool' regardless of how it really works..
Probably why so few hate him, despite some of the stuff he sold to people.

Now,
This kid been 'round the bock.
I remember his o-ring cases, and those "Porsche" fan-shrouds that burned up the bearings, because the thrust wasn't accounted for.
(Not to mention cooling no air directional vanes, and other such 'petty' details).
Remember, he did hydraulic lifters for a while, too.

My own experience, being on the side of the road, with a guy who was just moments ago bragging about the BB motor he just paid so much for, speaks to me at a certain level..
I have seen BB's work first-hand on a couple of occasions.

Just for a second,
Let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
He was willing to 'go there', to try new things.
He wanted to make things that looked cool!
A full-circle crank!
Welded all the way around!
It has counterweights drilled out just like a Scat ultralight..! Cool

Kind of like those cool 'Porsche' shrouds.. Wow!
Super cool looking..

And, hey, let's give the guy some credit.
He was willing to innovate.
He was willing to build things that were different, and think outside the box.
He was willing to build unique things, and put them out there to see how they worked.

So,
Good for him..
That's how things get moved forward.

-or backward-
depending upon how these things worked out..
Embarassed

What’s That Noise?!?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaducci's 2498 cc Turbo Re-Build Thread Reply with quote

He didn't invent the full circle crank.
A lot of folks looked at what the SPG roller cranks could do, and they realized the roller bearings were not the reason they lived at 7k rpm
Bud Whitfied made cast iron full circle cranks in the 70's. You can imagine how that worked Shocked What I am told is the 76 stroke ones worked ok, but the 82 stroke ones usually cracked and broke.
That is what BERG was ranting against in 80's, in the blue book

If anything Bernie just gave them a bad reputation. Everything he did, he gave it a bad reputation, because most of it didn't work. It didn't work because he was a "big picture" guy, but if things do or don't work is usually in the details.

From what I can tell the best crank would be a WBX with a type-4 center main and counterweights added, light flywheel.

The actual accounts from folks who ran cranks that had holes in the counterweights or rod journals, or both, is that it made no difference.
I LOVE the idea of gun drilling though the rods to lighten it, as it seems a great IDEA, but is there any real evidence that helps? Not so far, and guys have been doing this a LONG TIME.
Dan Ruddock just had one made, so lets see how that does Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: