Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a JesseLai tank.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
BoxsterGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

akvan-

Nice to hear the job is complete. Good to learn about the other grommets, just can't get away from them I guess.

Sorry, I never thought to say to use clamps, but they are necessary. Would you advise on longer hoses so theres less chance of binding? Do you remember what length you used?

Very happy it worked out. I certainly hope this is as permanent a "Fuel Tank Vent Fix" as possible.

Brickwerks-

Thank you for the lead. I have contacted them.

Len
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A similar thread that developed.......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7703739#7703739

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents Reply with quote

Hate to be the one to beat a dead thread back to life but redoing a 82 westy for my daughter and the tank is shot so I'd like to do this mod when I buy a new tank.

Soooooo are these still available?
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents Reply with quote

I made my own set of tank vents today I think i got away with around $12 in brass for each fitting, but the best part is it uses standard fuel line now. I have 3 vans to do this to, so I was looking for a chapter way out than the $70-90 for a premade kit that still uses hard to find hoses.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents Reply with quote

mad.macs wrote:
I made my own set of tank vents today I think i got away with around $12 in brass for each fitting, but the best part is it uses standard fuel line now. I have 3 vans to do this to, so I was looking for a chapter way out than the $70-90 for a premade kit that still uses hard to find hoses.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

NICE!!

Details PLEASE PURDY PURDY PLEASE!! Part numbers, source, links, ANYTHING!!

OH and thank-you!
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents Reply with quote

The main body is made from 1" Naval Brass rod, turned on my WWII vintage lathe. I used standard 1/4 in and 3/8 hose barbs from the hardware store and turned the threads off. I don't have a 3/8 pipe tap.. I hand drilled the holes for the fitting, and Soldered them into the holes.

The large fitting I out in at 30° and the 1/4 inch is at 45°.

They took an Hour and a half to make I think.
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents Reply with quote

Well I don't have metal lathe so that shoots that idea but boy do those look great!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents Reply with quote

They are beautiful (makes me miss having a metal lathe) but they don't solve the base problem of the rubber grommets decaying and leaking.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents Reply with quote

True, it does not address all of the issues, my grommets were OK, one of the Tees was cracked, and the crossover tube was partially rotted. Seeing that kits were $70-$90 and still used Nylon Tees, and expensive hose, I just wanted to get the cost down for future repairs. Since I don't need expensive hoses, and these Tees will last theoretically forever, I'm still going to call it a win.

Maybe someday I'll fab up an 18 Gal, no saddle tank, with just one vent.
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
They are beautiful (makes me miss having a metal lathe) but they don't solve the base problem of the rubber grommets decaying and leaking.

Dave

Ya lack of lathe kills it for me but I love the look.

Going with your method, seems to be a proven solution and since I'm going new tank and fittings for my daughters van I want to do it only once and not worry about it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: